Mental Health

Posted Fri 26 Mar 2021 07.08 by Tess
58 years

Hi - I've had psoriasis since I was 3. I'm now 66. It isn't visible now - though I'm sure will pop up when I least expect it. But the depression and anxiety have remained despite high levels of antidepressants and trying to keep myself fit and healthy Has anyone had good mental health support? Research shows the link between psoriasis and mental ill health. Apparently there are some psychodermatology clinics? I asked my GP but they didn't seem to have any ideas.

Posted Sat 10 Apr 2021 19.02 by ChambersE

Ieso self referral is very good if gp surgery are signed up

Posted Mon 14 Jun 2021 00.39 by Mary1968

Hello Tess I have had psoriasis my entire life too And have suffered bouts of terrible depression because of it. I am currently clear of patches due to diet, supplements and stress management. I used alcohol to deal with stress and I was very depressed then too. Mood has certainly improved since I gave up drinking When I was experimenting with all of this, I did notice that the better my diet, the more my depression lifted. I noticed a correlation between eating a lot of certain foods and feeling blue. When I ate a lot of wheat and sugar, I felt really depressed. I thought I was imagining it at first. Then I read articles by Dr William Davis on the wheat-belly blog, and discovered there WAS an actual link. What was even more enlightening, was I found my depression lifted once I started supplementing with Vitamin B and Vitamin D. Again on further reading, I discovered there is a link between depression and being deficient in these two vitamins. Avoiding wheat and lowering sugar intake, whilst also supplementing, has helped to clear up both the psoriasis and the depression for me. That is maybe a start for you. Otherwise many hospitals and community centers run courses for dealing with psoriasis and also dealing with depression. Maybe joining group session will help you? Talking through your issues and listening to other peoples experiences and coping methods, will probably help enormously Certainly better than doing nothing anyway

Posted Mon 14 Jun 2021 05.24 by Tess
58 years

Thanks so much! I've given up drinking too and feel much better for it. I'll try the things you mention. Thanks again,

Posted Tue 15 Jun 2021 21.16 by Julies1

Hi, I am new to the forum. I’ve had psoriasis since 2003. It is currently so bad over my whole body, thick raised ver red angry itchy patches. My dermatologist says it is not bad enough for injections. It is affecting my whole life and I feel so fed up. My skin actually hurts especially my bum which is really bad. I’m going to see my dermatologist on Thursday. Any ideas for a way forward for me. I am so desperate to feel better, it’s a vicious circle hate myself, so eat and drink more as I cannot see the point of trying to lose weight when I feel so crap. Thank you

To take part, sign in or register with us