Stopping sulphasalazine - any help plesae

Posted Tue 6 Apr 2021 10.02 by NellieV76
Family, Rugby and the BIG outdoors is what keeps me sane !

Hi all, I have recently had my first F2F appointment with a consultant rhuematoligist. I was "provisionally" diagnosed last May with PSA. I had the classic sausage fingers, carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms in my hands and a sudden onset of small patches of dry scaly skin . I have still not had a clear statement from my GP or rheumatology team trhat I actually have PSA. I have had numerous blood tests and was given 2 courses of prednisolone which helped. It took some time for me to research the offers of medication, I was not keen on starting MTX and eventually agreed to try sulfasalazine. I have been taking sulfa since last October and it does not appear to be helping with my swollen joints or skin patches. I have had an increase in hand issues and my fingers are starting to "turn" and become troublesome. They are suggesting I start taking leflunomide, however I cant see the point of continuing to take the sulfa if it is not working. I am looking at stopping the sulfa before starting another type of meds. Has anyone had experience of the best way to stop taking this medication ? Thanks for any help you can give and hope you are all keeping safe and as well as possible

Posted Fri 9 Apr 2021 10.15 by Wheeker

Hi, I was on Sulfasalazine A few years ago and it really didn’t have any effect on me, so ended up stopping it and going onto Methotrexate ( ended up with injections). I can’t remember any specific rules for stopping it, I think it was just stop taking it and then start on the Methotrexate a few weeks later. Although everyone’s experience is different, after going onto Methothrexate injections ( the tablets didn’t agree with me), it definitely sorted out my psoriasis and went some way to controlling the arthritis. Only problem was that I had a large flare up after a good while which saw me in quite a bit of pain, so it was decided to take me off Methotrexate and go onto Leflunomide. I’d seriously give Methotrexate a look as it was fine for me and after getting the initial dose right, seemed to work really well. I’m now having to come off Leflunomide due to tingling / numbness in my hands, feet and legs and some eyesight problems which may or may not be attributed to side effects of the Leflunomide and then look at what options are available to me. Bit of a shame as the Leflunomide isn’t too bad at controlling things, although it doesn’t reduce the psoriasis like the Methotrexate did. Only problem with coming off the Lef. is having to get it flushed out of my body. My fault for not taking enough notice when it was prescribed to me, but I either wasn’t aware that it can stay in the body for up to 2 years or thought that as I’d given the other 2 a try, this one should surely work. But, I’ve now got a 5 day course of flushing drugs (Not very pleasant!). Good luck on the Leflunomide - as I mentioned, it didn’t present as many side effects for me as Methotrexate and apart from the odd small-ish flare up of PSA, it hasn’t really been bad.

To take part, sign in or register with us