Breast reduction & psoriasis

Posted Tue 4 May 2021 21.00 by nicolafayq

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone has undergone surgery and what their experiences are with their psoriasis? If it stayed the same or flared up? I'm considering a breast reduction but suffer from both inverse psoriasis and general psoriasis plaques. Can anyone help? Thank you!

Posted Wed 5 May 2021 22.09 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Thu 6 May 2021 12.11 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Nicola, I have had plaque psoriasis since my 22nd Birthday. I am in my late 60s now. My psoriasis used to be all over my entire body, but for last 15 years or so it was limited to a few very small patches and my elbows. 3 years ago I had a total hip replacement - 6 weeks later I came out in guttate psoriasis alll over my torso arms and scalp, and a little on my legs. My GP (who i trust and seems to keep himself well informed) suggested that it could be a response to the trauma experienced by my body from the hip replacement. He advised that Gutatte psoriasis in that sort of situation should start to decline after around 6 months. I itched like mad for several months, but around the 6 month mark it began to fade and by 8 months after the initial break-out it was completely gone. I broke my ankle and collar bone 8 years ago and needed operations for each, and metal and screws inserted. But no increase in psoriasis. 20+ years ago I scraped my leg on a floorboard. It scabbed over as normal, but instead of actually healing, after the scab fell off I was left with a patch of plaque psoriasis about 1.5 inch by 0.75 inch. That persisted for 10 years and then suddently disappeared. It does seem that physical trauma to the body can be a trigger for psoriasis. But just as with many other triggers, there is no predictable response and not the same from one person to another.

To take part, sign in or register with us