Stop biological treatment

Posted Tue 11 May 2021 08.08 by Milena

Good morning, I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis about 3 years ago. After trying different treatments that didn’t work I then tried biological treatment (etanercept). It worked pretty quick. It has been really good in that regard. I have been taking it for almost two years now. I am wondering if it is possible to stop taking this treatment or will that risk the PA to come back again and perhaps much worse? I don’t know if it was a flare I had and maybe it’s gone now? Has anybody had similar experiences? and successful with dose reduction? Would really appreciate any comments

Posted Wed 12 May 2021 15.31 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

I don't have PsA or haven't tried that medication so cannot comment specifically. All I would say from experience of other meds is that eventually my condition came back with a vengeance if I stoped without an alternative in place. Personally I would not make a solo decision to stop if everything is going well. I would discuss with your rheumatologist first to talk about options. May I ask why you want to stop if everything is going well?

Posted Wed 12 May 2021 22.50 by Milena

Thanks for your good advise. I want to find out if I really need it now! The biological treatment has been good, but I am worried about the possible side effects.

Posted Sun 13 Jun 2021 12.28 by Mary1968

Hello Milena I would have to agree with Steview. That eventually conditions came back with a vengeance, if you stop without an alternative in place. Pharmaceuticals don't heal, they just mask the symptoms. So the flare might not happen straight away, but normally will eventually occur. Flare ups will often occur if you come off medication suddenly, so always best to taper off slowly under medical supervision. Or speak to your doctor about a lower dosage, if you are very worried about side effects.

Posted Tue 15 Jun 2021 09.04 by Milena

Hello Mary, Thanks for your message, I definitely will consult the doctor. I have experienced bad flare ups changing and waiting for new medication. Best to avoid that!

Posted Mon 21 Jun 2021 12.18 by Yacht

Biologics "suppress" psoriasis and arthritis (by calming the immune system), but they don't really "cure" it. Once the injections stop, the psoriasis or arthritis (usually) restart. The options can be: 1. Continue dose as normal 2. Reduce dose 3. Reduce frequency 4. Stop altogether 5. Switch to another biologic

Posted Sun 27 Jun 2021 10.20 by Mac

It wouldn't even enter my thought process about stopping my bio treatment. Why would anyone want too stop something that's helping them crazy. As always say each too their own i suppose.

Posted Fri 2 Jul 2021 08.56 by Milena

Thanks for your message Yacht and Mac. I am definitely not stopping my treatment!

To take part, sign in or register with us