Cyclosporine - 1 month in

Posted Sun 11 Jul 2021 21.07 by Psoriais101

So I wanted some oppinions Been on cyclosporine for a month now. My skin is better, not scaling or scabbing, it is lighter too. However, it’s been at this point for over 2 weeks with no improvement, if anything, my legs are on and off with how red they are. Not sure if to start using steroid creams again to hopefully clear the remaining psoriasis and discolouration? Has anyone had all the discolouration go within a month? If not, when did it/if it did?

Posted Sun 11 Jul 2021 23.03 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

A month isn't a long time for your P to clear and any discolouration to return to your normal skin shade. I continued to use Dovobet whilst starting Cyclo, oh and keep moisturising before putting ointment on.

Posted Sat 17 Jul 2021 11.19 by Matt1972

It took about 6 weeks before my skin really began looking good again So don't give up. It will take a while.

Posted Mon 7 Feb 2022 20.08 by Angiebabe

Hi I have had p for 10 years now all over my body and scalp. I started cyclosporine yesterday I've had 2 pills and although I'm so excited about it working I'm a bit scared of the drug itself x

Posted Tue 8 Feb 2022 00.59 by bookreviewer123

Hi, I was covered literally from head to toe with psoriasis from May 2021, the GP kept prescribing me different steroid creams, which in my opinion only made issues a LOT worse. My psoriasis became severe and I decided to begin taking ciclosporin in August 2021, taking 75mg twice a day. I was also so worried about side effects! For me, my psoriasis began to heal very quickly and I would say I was majority cleared by the start of October. I also did not experience any side effects, except maybe the tingling of my fingers but nothing I can’t deal with! However in December 2021, my psoriasis began to come back quite bad. Part of me blames this on me not taking my medication on time like I was previously but I’m not sure. Now in February I’ve been advised to increase my dosage to 100mg twice a day. I’m really hoping this works because Ciclosporin has been a lifesaver for me, the only thing that helped my severe psoriasis. It seems to vary from person to person, but the reviews of it on these forums all seem negative. I’m glad I didn’t let other people’s experiences stop me. Remember that most of the time, people are more likely to leave stories of negative reviews than positive experiences. Hoping it works for you all.

Posted Tue 8 Feb 2022 16.41 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

@ angiebabe, it is natural to be scared when starting a new med, especially a strong drug like cyclosporine or other immunosuppressive meds. I hope you see a noticeable improvement. Good luck. @bookreviewer I know what you mean most people only report negatives. In my positive experience of cyclo, I have probably read more positive reports than negative. Although some may report side effects as a negative, yet the positives are that it can give relatively quick clearence. May I ask were you not taking the recommended amount or skipping days or taking sporadically? I hope it starts to work now your dose has been increased.

Posted Tue 8 Feb 2022 23.00 by bookreviewer123

@steview Since I started cyclosporine, I’ve been taking mine at 12pm and 12am everyday. Life got quite busy for me and unfortunately some days I took my 12pm dosage up to 3 hours late… I always took it as soon as I remembered I had forgot, but I’ve read about how important it is to keep taking the medicine on time! I’ve learnt my lesson, I’m definitely going to make sure I take it correctly this time like I used to. But as I mentioned before I’m not sure whether this was the reason for my flare up, just a guess! I’m glad that most people are having an overall good experience with the medication! I wish I would’ve seen more positive reviews when I first started, maybe it wouldn’t have been so scary.

Posted Wed 16 Mar 2022 09.59 by Mich

Hi I started cyclosporine in January 2020 and it cleared my skin within around 3 weeks which was fantastic. It gave me my life back. I did get some P come back a little after around 8 months but I used enstillar as and when I needed to which seemed to help. I had no side effects and my bloods were all good throughout taking it. The problem with cyclosporine is that you're not supposed to take it for more than around a year. I actually took it for around 18 months. I had a break from medication when I stopped taking it and I was clear for a couple of months, but it's back pretty bad now so just this week I took my first dose of methodrexate. No side effects yet and I will have to see how it goes with clearing my skin. I'm hoping it will clear enough to wear T shirts as the weather starts to warm up.

To take part, sign in or register with us