On Methotrexate for Psoriasis, Psoriatic Arthritis and Crohns. I'm shielding but what about my family?

Posted Mon 26 Jul 2021 19.42 by Carnival queen (edited Mon 26 Jul 2021 19.43 by Carnival queen)

I would really like the views of others on this. I started Methotrexate 6 weeks ago, going very well so far, no side effects, arthritic pain has gone but still have swollen feet and toes. Psoriasis itself hasn't improved yet but early days and we're starting to increase the Methotrexate dose now so hopefully will make a difference. My problem is with regard to shielding from COVID. I am following all COVID safety regulations to the letter but my family are not keen to do so. My daughter is preparing to move house and my husband has been spending time with her and her boyfriend helping them to pack etc. Since 'freedom day', my daughter has disposed of her masks and is continuing a normal life, meeting friends indoors, hugging all and sundry and casting aside all safety precautions. I presume her boyfriend has done the same. My husband has now spent two days in a confined and not very well ventilated space with them and I feel in great danger. Does anyone think it is unreasonable of me to expect them to wear masks when they are together? I feel as though none of them have any regard for my health. I am 70 years old and with suppressed immunity don't feel as though I would stand a chance if I became infected with COVID. Am I being over cautious? Thanks in advance for your views.

Posted Tue 27 Jul 2021 23.20 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Let me give you my views and as always they are my opinion. Firstly according to the Government guidelines at the start of the pandemic being on one immunosuppressive med didn't class you as extremely vulnerable unless I suppose there are other conditions that you did not mention. Did you receive a letter from your GP/NHS recommending you shield? Your age may also be a factor in being cautious. You may well be being over cautious but that is your right and especially in your own home. I. M. O your family should respect your wishes, maybe not as far as wearing masks in or out of the house but if you don't want them to have guests round indoors they should respect that. I was never requested to shield but have been on one immunosuppressive med throughout lock down period and was working. I just was extra careful with whom I came into contact with, even now. I think we should still act responsibly, but that is too much to ask for some unfortunately. I hope you come to a satisfactory outcome for you and your family,

Posted Tue 27 Jul 2021 23.27 by Carnival queen

Bless you for your kind and thoughtful reply which does help me.

Posted Wed 28 Jul 2021 16.15 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 16 Aug 2021 06.59 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

My Mother p[assed away aged 99 years in December 2019. She had some sort of chest infection, probably not covid, but who knows? She had lived in a small residential care home for 5 years as she was unable to stand and could no longer live independently. I live in the North and she livved in the south, but I visited her as often as I could. In the years before covid I was VERY careful not to visit the care home if i had any symptoms such as a cold, sneezing, elevated temperature, sore throat, flu-like aches or diarrhoea. I did not want to risk infecting my mother nor any of the other 9 residents or staff. Even if I had driven 12 hours to her town, and then felt ill, I just did not visit. If she were still alive now, I would wear a face-mask to visit the home, even though I am double vaccinated. I do not question whether someone is immuno-suppressed, or elderly, or a high-risk category. Wearling a mask is SO easy and simple and is a sign of respect for the health of others, even if not your family. I simply cannot understand family members not showing the same care and courtesy, and risk reduction.

To take part, sign in or register with us