Psoriasis & COVID Vaccine

Posted Wed 17 Nov 2021 11.10 by SharonG

I asked my GP if my 'flare' - which I am managing - was down to all these vaccines - he said it 'could' be? BUT??? You would never be able to prove it as there are so many other reasons for a 'flare up' - not helpful - I am due my booster on the 3rd Dec - and YES I shall have it - I will be back to let you all know.

Posted Wed 17 Nov 2021 11.23 by mikeb

SharonG If you read the leaflets with any meds or tabs there is usually a long list of side effects. In my case my first major flare up was within a few days of my 2nd Covid jab and it has flared again since my booster jab 2 weeks ago. As the consequences of Covid 19 are likely to be more serious than a flare up then it's probably a no-brainer to have the jabs. As you say, it can't be proved, but it's only by the likes of us making it known that the scientists can look into it and maybe adjust the product slightly. Good luck with it all.

Posted Wed 17 Nov 2021 12.00 by SharonG

Thanks Mikeb Had my 2nd Jab in May - My flare started July - then Flu Jab September - it was settling but not completely after this so I am waiting to see what happens with the Booster.

Posted Wed 17 Nov 2021 23.50 by AdieP

I’m 57 and never had psoriasis before until this year… palms & feet mostly, super sore and difficult to walk at times. Like many others, I now have lotions and creams galore and it’s very early days. I had never even considered a link to the covid vaccine until I found this forum, I assumed it might be stress related, but maybe not. First dose was March and this started in April/May and has worsened …booster is due in 3 weeks. Very interesting to hear of others in similar situations. Thank you for sharing!

Posted Thu 18 Nov 2021 00.09 by jpayton2003@gmail.com

Hello, First time on this site, so glad I found it! Never had any skin conditions or irritations, Had both my Pfizer vaccines then noticed a month or two later I developed really itchy elbows, sore and scaly, then a small patch was on my forehead, back of my left hand running straight up my knuckle and middle finger, and a small patch on my right middle finger, then finally around the back of my neck along my hairline, I was scratching till it bled. I keep hearing people say a connection between the vaccines and developing psoriasis, also heard menopause, due to low oestrogen can develop psoriasis, I am 52 and going through menopause, so unsure which reason and why out of the blue I have developed psoriasis???! I have had full patch testing which lasts a week and my back was covered in stickers, that was 4 weeks ago, and allergic to nothing! given creams, ointments, patches etc, it starts to heal and then boom off it goes again, such a vicious cycle, any advice when I go back to see my dermatologist, or any pearls of wisdom as a newbie lol?! X Thanks Julie Xx 😘

Posted Sat 18 Dec 2021 23.37 by Mindfullybeme

I have developed severe Palmoplantar pustulosis as well as Hidradenitis Suppurativa, both are progressing rapidly in just 10 weeks. I’ve also had 3 bout of cellulitis. Life changed from the 1st October. It was suggested to me that I had been fine before the vaccines, I had had 2 by September. In truth I was very health, fairly fit and a mindfulness teacher so not highly stressed. I queried it past my dr, who indeed said it was highly like to have been the trigger to my diseases.

Posted Sun 19 Dec 2021 16.13 by kathleen.mcclean@hotmail.co.uk

My dermatologist acknowledged it is possible that the Pfizer booster and the etanercept I take for psoriatic arthritis may have caused the flare. Hoping to start UVB therapy in January.

Posted Sun 19 Dec 2021 18.18 by mikeb

Started steroid tabs in mid-November. 5x5mg per day for 2 weeks then reduce by one tab per week. Down to 2 per day on Tuesday21st Dec. I have to say it's quite amazing. Apart from side effects from the steroids -all the itching is gone, 80% of the redness has gone, all the flaking has gone. My hands are back to normal and my feet are 95% good. Side effects of the steroids -mood swings, bladder discomfort, mild stomach problems. All in all I'm chuffed to mintballs :) Saw a dermatologist last week and they will put me on a 1mg course of steroids for several weeks to slowly wean the body off them.

Posted Sun 19 Dec 2021 19.44 by Ess S

Hello everyone ! I havent been on this in a while ..thought id update you guys on my psoriasis. Last time i messaged i said that i started off with guttate psoriasis then it went to plaque psoriasis to then in october turning into Erythrodermic psoriasis. I was in agony. Dermatologist prescribed me cyclosporin..iv been on it now for about 2 months..i have to take 4 tablets twice a day. Iv seen a massive difference in my skin ..before i had psoriasis on 95% of my body i felt very insecure about myself and lost confidence and i felt like i was losing myself and fell into depression. Now my psoriasis is almost cleared i just have faint pink patches on my legs that are fading slowly..but my hands and arms and neck and everywhere else is cleared i only have it on my legs now ..theres no pain just feel slightly itchy still but i can manage. Im starting to feel more confident within myself again.

Posted Sun 19 Dec 2021 22.11 by mikeb

Ess S Looks like the tabs have worked on both of us to a similar degree. Here's hoping it doesn't flare when we come off them. Did P affect the soles of your feet?

Posted Sun 19 Dec 2021 22.49 by Ess S

Mikeb Yes it did affect the soles of my feet very badly..i was struggling to walk and feet would bleed..my soles are much better now. My dermatologist has told me to go for my 2nd pfizer vaccine soon because the cyclosporin medication works by making your immune system low so im more prone to catch flu and colds and covid..im at high risk of catching covid while im on the medication. Dermatologist has told me to get my 2nd vaccine but iv told her im really scared because when i had my 1st one i had this flare up i told her i dont want to go through that pain and depression and agony again. She said i understand just think about it ..she said atleast if u get it done now while you are on the medication then it wont be as bad or maybe you wont have a flare up while on medication because itl be controlled. Im really scared i dont know what to do ..should i risk it and get 2nd vaccine or not ? Any advice would help please.

Posted Mon 20 Dec 2021 00.13 by Hils

Ess S - i am in a similar position to you, however I did have my 2nd Phizer and now trying to decide if to have booster. My Palmer Planter psoriasis started 3 weeks after the first dose in Feb. I had not had any trace of psoriasis sice my teens when I had a brief spell of pustulor psoriasis on the palms. It got steadily worse. When I went for the 2nd dose the doctor giving it to me said it would become obvious if it was the vaccine as it would get worse. 2 days after the 2nd dose it was v v bad, my arm swelled up my left hand looked like a boxing glove. I was then put on doxcycilin for 4 wks and prednisolone for 2 weeks. I have, since May, had flare after flare on both hands and feet along with secondary infections and swollen lymph nodes. So in a nutshell I would think very carefully about a 2nd dose. Maybe being on the steroids when you have it will help. However what I am discovering more is that the Derms and Drs cannot give definitive guidance as its just too soon to know of all the outcomes and reactions. Its a rock and a hard place scenario. I am so glad you have experienced some respite since being on the steroids and long may it continue 👍

Posted Mon 20 Dec 2021 00.40 by Ess S

Hils Awwhh i feel for you ..i hope you get better very soon. Yeah il have a long hard think about 2nd vaccine because i am really scared and worried because i know the pain i suffered. Im just torn because if i dont get 2nd vaccine im more prone to getting covid because of medication but if i do get vaccine then im risking having another flare up..its so hard i really dont know what to do.

Posted Mon 20 Dec 2021 05.50 by mikeb

I might be being brave after the event but I would still have the second jab. My third jab caused only a relatively mild flare. As they tell us - the tabs lower our immunity so it is probably better to be safe than sorry (sorrier!). Good luck.

Posted Mon 20 Dec 2021 07.22 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 20 Dec 2021 07.44 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

@Ess S : you have asked for advice, well I would take the advice of your qualified and experienced dermatologist, rather than from random unknowns on this forum. From your post it sounds like your dermatologist is giving you carefully considered advice and not a dogmatic recommendation to get vaccinated, and sounds as if they are going to support you after the vaccination if you do experience problems. I guess only YOU can decide which would be worse for you . . . . to suffer a reaction again from the vaccine (but this is not guaranteed), or to catch covid (also not guaranteed) at a time when your immunity is significantly suppressed due to your medications. Best wishes for you, whatever you decide.

Posted Mon 20 Dec 2021 11.57 by Cfield

I had the astrazeneca in March, and my scalp started the flair, but was manageable. Had my second in May and my flair got worse and my scalp started to weep and I lost a third of my hair. I also have been getting weeping patches of psoriasis on different parts of my body. My hair is growing back, but the flair hasn't gone and it's getting worse. I did have my booster (Pfizer), and am waiting to decide if I will have another one. I've been on cosentyx for nearly 2 years and was clear before the vaccines. I keep getting told that there is no way the vaccine caused the flair, but I'm not the only person this has happened to, and I think it needs to be investigated (I did report ut on the yellow card thing)

Posted Mon 20 Dec 2021 22.53 by Jochana

I’ve just experienced my second flare up of guttate psoriasis, which started after the Pfizer booster. Was fine after the first two AZ jabs. Steroid creams don’t seem to be working this time and to see a dermatologist on nhs is 42 week wait .. hoping it improves in the next few weeks

Posted Sat 25 Dec 2021 21.13 by Dani4089

I’ve got guttate psoriasis! I had covid 3 weeks ago and I got tiny spots on my hands it’s now spread to my whole body! I was wrongly diagnosed with shingles for the first week of the holidays only for them to agree on psoriasis doctor proudly said it was one of the worst he’d seen and it was severe 😔!

Posted Sun 26 Dec 2021 09.23 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Wed 29 Dec 2021 09.33 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Just a comment on Guttate Psoriasis: I have had plaque psoriasis since 1980, and at one stage it covered my entire body. It has been pretty well limited to my elbows for the past 5 years or so. in 2018 I had a total hip replacement and 6 weeks later I had an outbreak of guttate psoriasis going from a few red spots on my chest to covering my entire body inside 2 weeks. My GP was quite knowledgable, and suggested that it was the trauma of the hip replacement that triggered it, and that often guttate psoriais can go away after about 6 months. Basically I treated the itching and itrritation with coal-tar based treatments and emollients. Because there were so many small spots I did not see it practical to try and dab topical steroid on each one and avoid the unblemished skin. I did not want to just slather myself with topical steroid over the good skin as well. Around the 6 month mark it did indeed begin to fade and by about 8 months i was clear of the guttate psoriasis. This year I have had 2two A-Z vaccinations and a pfizer booster (plus two different flu vaccines, and a pneumonnia and meningitis vaccine), and absolutely no flare ups at all.

To take part, sign in or register with us