Best treatments for nail psoriasis

Posted Tue 10 Aug 2021 17.47 by MitchellSS1

Hi, I have had general plaque psoriasis for most of my adult life (I'm 38 now) in places like elbows, ankles, hands then in the last 15 years I developed nail psoriasis which at times has almost cleared up only to come back with a vengeance at other times like now where I'm having to cut them back every day or two otherwise they look yellow. I have never quite worked out what has cleared it up when it does, but I do know that beer or stress seems to trigger my general psoriasis, even if it's one night of drinking every two weeks socially as I do not even drink alcohol during the week. Weirdly it seems to be worse with beers than wine, so I wonder what it is in beer that causes it. About 5 years ago I bought a small UV lamp (dermfix) which seems to clear up my skin psoriasis within a few weeks or so, it even made some stubborn bits on my palm disappear altogether however not the nail psoriasis. Probably because the UV cannot get through the nail. I also tried rubbing Dovobet on the ends but no luck either. Part of the problem is they take so long to grow back after so it's also hard to pinpoint what actually helps yet hardly any time for them to become messed up again, so frustrating. It makes me so self conscious wondering what people think when they see the state of my nails. Has anyone found anything that actually helps specifically with their nail psoriasis, or pinpointed anything that has cleared it for themselves? Or also triggers they have worked out? The normal plaque I can solve with the UV lamp but the nails I'm keen to work out. Also has anyone found anything in their diets that was a culprit too, for example I have seen that dairy or bread can be bad, but I'm not sure. I enjoy my toast and diary. Thanks in advance, Lee

Posted Tue 10 Aug 2021 19.24 by scouternorm

My fingernails, fingertips & toenails were very bad 4 years ago. The dermatologist told me the nails were dead and to forget about them ever coming back. And the soles of my feet were thick & fissured. I had asked him about whether Cannabis had ever been of help, but he said studies hadn't been performed. I was getting prepared to go on methotrexate, but found a marijuana infused resin salve product in Canada (where I live) that was made by MJ Creams. I started using this on just my fingers because the tips were split so bad, and I was in constant pain from them. I saw a noticeable improvement in about 2 months. Then I was able to get a prescription for medical CBD oil which I applied topically. Within a year, my hands & feet were almost back to normal. I still have the nails on my thumbs & big toes that aren't the greatest, but compared to how I was, it felt like a miracle cure. And there are no medical side effects. See pictures at http://www.normtoogood.ca/psoriasis.htm and decide for yourself. Good luck!

Posted Tue 10 Aug 2021 19.51 by MitchellSS1

Wow just seen your pictures the before and after are astounding! Your finger nails look like nothing ever happened. So how did you apply it for the finger nails did you keep them cut as short as poss then applied the CBD cream to the ends and then the nails just eventually grew back nicer? Do you still use it most days to maintain? Also last of all do you know what CBD concentration the cream was in case I can find similar in UK? A lot of CBD products vary widely as to how much is actually in it. Thanks, Lee

Posted Tue 10 Aug 2021 19.59 by MitchellSS1

Is this the one you used? https://mjcbdd.com/products/cbd-magic-pain-cream-4oz-250mg Thanks

Posted Tue 10 Aug 2021 20.52 by scouternorm

it was a marijuana-infused cream salve. It is shown on this site. https://budbuddy.biz/product/skin-care-salve/ I just applied it to my fingertips & nails. After I saw the results, I then obtained some CBD oil & used it instead- topically, not internally. I'm not sure what the percent CBD, but I got the lowest THC & the highest CBD. Good luck!

Posted Tue 10 Aug 2021 22.05 by MitchellSS1

Thank you, I shall look into cbd oils then. Fingers crossed it helps after a while!

Posted Wed 11 Aug 2021 21.54 by MitchellSS1

Just bought some 300mg CBD balm so will see how it goes! I’m also using it on one elbow instead of both so I can compare results :) Fingers crossed! Do you still use it daily on the end of your nails for maintenance, or only if you see it coming back? Thanks

Posted Thu 12 Aug 2021 12.39 by scouternorm

If the CBD balm is from hemp instead of cannabis, it is different. I still use CBD oil, but only if my fingers or nails have a flare up, which doesn't happen very often. Good luck!

Posted Thu 12 Aug 2021 14.59 by MitchellSS1

Hi again, It says full spectrum whole plant extract, but guess that could mean either. Ingredients say hemp seed oil, a load of other stuff, and also 300mg cbd full spectrum. Reckon one might work better than the other then? Or unknown. Thanks

To take part, sign in or register with us