Psoriasis & links with COVID-19

Posted Mon 6 Sep 2021 16.26 by Dizzyronnie

Hello I’m new here. Welcome any opinions out there. I’m a 55 year old lady and have had the dreaded P word since Feb of this year, just after getting my first Covid jab. Was on my hands and feet and groin area mostly. Then in April I had my second and woke up one morning shortly after and looked like I’d been attacked with a giant bingo dabbler! I say that because I was on holiday at the time and played it a lot! Just saying to inject a little humour on the subject. No joke tho! I am suffering and have been to GP numerous times, and like many of you am going through the many lotions and potions known to man! I’m yet to see a dermatologist, might be this side of Christmas if I’m lucky? I’ve got it everywhere! Scalp, to soles of my feet! Hair falling out and some days unable to walk properly, which has meant time off work. I hope I don’t get to the stage where I might have to give up work? Some days are worse than others, can cope with it, others I just want to curl up and die. I would be keen to know if anyone agrees with me that this might be a side affect of the Covid jabs? Pretty coincidental it happened at the same time? Never had anything like this before. My theory, which is keeping me sane is that if this is a reaction to an alien substance put in my body that it doesn’t like then my body will find a way of dealing with it and I might rebalance and get back to normal at some point! Any thoughts on that? Kind regards Roni

Posted Mon 6 Sep 2021 19.05 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Hello Roni, sorry to hear your current situation and reaction to the vaccine. It must be hard understanding and accepting why this has happened. I also think there is a link between the vaccine. As P is an autoimmune disease, putting something as you say an alien substance into your system could cause a reaction. Following my first vaccine I had a rash on my arms, not a rash that I had experienced as P. I showed this to my dermatologist and he confirmed it wasn't P. 7 months it it comes and goes. I have read on numerous fora that people have had negative reaction to the vaccine leading to them onset of P or a flare up, so I don't think it is a coincidence. On a more personal note my elderly Father had never had P in his life had a negative reaction like yourself. Started on his arms then back, scalp and legs. As quickly it was spreading I knew it was P. He was back and forth numerous times to his GP, got the usual creams. In the end he got an urgent refferal in June and has been on oral meds since and now it is under control. My advice would be to keep pestering your GP for an urgent refferal, stressing not just the physical aspect but the emotional affect on your wellbeing. In the meantime it may be worth registering your reaction on the government yellow card system. https://coronavirus-yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/ I hope you get some relief soon.

Posted Mon 6 Sep 2021 19.46 by Dizzyronnie

Thank you Steview Thank you for your kind words. I sympathise with everyone on this site! It is truly horrendous. I have done the yellow card . And I am pestering my GP who is being really good but it’s the hospital that’s putting the mockers on things. I live in hope I get some treatment soon! It’s my feet and palms that are the real problem! Can’t not walk and use your hands for flips sake! The rest I can deal with, antihistamine takes the sting out of my body and scalp but that part of it is really disabling. I can’t perform everyday basic functions! I haven’t pushed the vacuum round for weeks! Although that’s my excuse!! I’m glad your father is better, and long may he improve. Xx

Posted Mon 6 Sep 2021 21.54 by Steview

Thank you for your kind words, also hope my Father continues to improve. I have lived with P most of my life but at his age it was a shock and he didn't really understand what it was and why he got it unfortunately. You say you can't walk or use your hands is that solely down to the severity of the P or are you getting joint pains? Unfortunately there is no cure but there are numerous treatments, it is a matter of trial and error finding the one that works for you. Good luck.

Posted Thu 9 Sep 2021 11.17 by Dizzyronnie

Sorry for late reply! I missed the notification. My feet, it’s all down to the severity, no joint pain yet? Same with the palms of my hands. Just very scaled and sore. I’ve just had a week off work with it. I’ve been using Diprosalic and Calsiprotol alternately and after a week they have calmed down. I have a very active job, on my feet all day! Going back tomorrow, how I’m going to cope is anyone’s guess??

Posted Thu 9 Sep 2021 12.44 by Steview

I hope you get to see a dermatogist soon. Plus it is good to have an understanding employer.

Posted Thu 9 Sep 2021 12.49 by Dizzyronnie

They say December earliest. Sadly employer isn’t very understanding. Suggested insoles for my shoes, to make them comfier! Bit of an education needed there!

Posted Thu 9 Sep 2021 19.37 by Moggy1

I am 56 year old lady and started with PPP probably very mildly after having covid in April 2019 and had a really bad flare up after flu jab . Saw a dermatologist in Feb (privately well worth it if can afford ) had bad flare March after 1st covid vaccine and may after 2nd jab. Dermatologist said was coincidence and light therapy would probably be 39 weeks wait so in desperation started on acitretin 10 mg a day which he said I wouldn’t know I was taking and side effects were exaggerated.I won’t go into that but so not true. There is definitely a link between covid and covid vaccination and psoriasis but medical profession won’t admit for some reason On a positive my hands are 95% clear and feet much better and to my complete astonishment have received an appointment to have pre assessment for phototherapy 21st of this month. So after a year like no other I am hoping there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck finding something that helps you

Posted Thu 9 Sep 2021 19.56 by Dizzyronnie

Hi Moggy1 I bough my own phototherapy lamp and been using regularly. I’m managing things mostly! I won’t go for tablets or injections unless absolutely necessary! I’m hoping that seeing as my bodies reached to an alien substance being injected into it might work itself out! I live in hope x

Posted Mon 13 Sep 2021 15.29 by derxa

Hi Dizzyronnie I have developed severe psoriasis over my body due to second CV vaccine. Had topical treatments from GP but have appointment with dermatologist soon. Hope your treatments are easing things derxa x

Posted Thu 16 Sep 2021 13.21 by Dizzyronnie

Hi Derxa I’m coping well thank you. Things have slightly improved lately.. Hoping time will heal. Roni x

Posted Tue 21 Sep 2021 19.57 by Knittikick

Since having the second AZ covid vaccine I’ve developed psoriasis all over my scalp. The coal tar shampoo and cream prescribed by my Dr. have not helped at all. I’ve never had psoriasis before.

Posted Tue 21 Sep 2021 20.17 by Dizzyronnie

Keep using it honey! Use head and shoulders ass well! Least you’ve just got it on your scalp! I’ve got it everywhere! X good luck x

Posted Fri 24 Sep 2021 17.19 by Mo

my first time on here and already so many question answered just by reading through. interesting to read about link with covid vaccine, i wouldnt have thought of it. well i am one of those rare people who keep a diary, guess what my psoriasis started just after lock down and my first jab, it got worse after 2nd jab, I wont be going for a booster.

Posted Fri 24 Sep 2021 17.23 by derxa

I won't either Mo. It's so upsetting to get this awful condition as a result of something that's supposed to protect you from ill health.

Posted Fri 24 Sep 2021 17.25 by Dizzyronnie

Hello Mo No I won’t be having a booster either. I’m hoping it might go away once 6 months have passed, as that’s how long they say the vaccine stays in your body! No harm in wishful thinking? Roni

Posted Fri 24 Sep 2021 18.15 by Knittikick

I don’t think this is coincidence. I hadn’t thought about the booster. Six months will be in December for me.

Posted Fri 24 Sep 2021 19.13 by Dizzyronnie

See how you go Knittikick If it goes away after 6 months that’s proof enough for me!

Posted Fri 24 Sep 2021 19.18 by Dizzyronnie

I can’t get an appointment with dermatologist for 6 months! I’m going to leave it another month to see if my theory is right then I’m going to the hospital and stage a sit in! Won’t leave until I’ve seen someone. Might even get my local paper to do a piece! Shocking that I’ve got this on 90% of my body and nobody is taking it seriously. Especially the soles of my feet rendering me unable to walk!

Posted Sat 25 Sep 2021 00.14 by Moggy1

I had an appointment on Tuesday with my dermatologist and to have a pre assessment for phototherapy with a nurse. The dermatologist wouldn’t say if covid had brought on my PPP and boosters caused a flare up but nurse told me separately that there has been a lot of reports of skin problems with people having covid and the vaccinations. The waiting times for appointments are very long at the moment and very frustrating the letter I received about my phototherapy said I would have a test patch and return following day to see how my skin had reacted and then a treatment plan would be arranged the nurse said she was sorry but the letter was pre covid and had not been amended and there’s a waiting list of possibly 12 weeks 😩 so I am looking realistically at next year I was gutted. The thought of flu jab and covid booster fills me with dread as I am sure things will flare up and I am really not sure what to do . Hope everyone finds something that gives them comfort 😊

To take part, sign in or register with us