Psoriasis & links with COVID-19

Posted Wed 29 Sep 2021 17.10 by charmarr

Hi Moggy.I suggest you do what I did and see a dermatologist privately. It was the best thing I ever did.He gave a diagnosis and set up a treatment plan. He then put me on his NHS waiting list. When My appointment came I told him the treatment was not working. He then put me on Cyclosporin. Within a week it started making a big difference. If I had waited for my NHS appointment which was a three month wait, he would have gone through the same procedure. I would then have had to wait another three months to tell him it was not working.. If you can afford it you will be able to see a consultant very quickly.

Posted Fri 20 May 2022 19.37 by Niamh

Hi I have stumbled across this forum in desperation. I received my 2nd dose vaccine in jan, got Covid-19 in feb and by the end of feb devloped P. I have been struggling with it now since. I am wondering has anyone any updates on their P after the 6mth make as people are telling me it may leave after the vaccine has left my body.

Posted Sat 21 May 2022 12.42 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sun 22 May 2022 12.35 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

I first developed psoriasis in 1980, everywhere on my body. It had largely faded and existed mainly on my elbows by about 1987-88. Since that time I have had numerous vaccinations for typhoid, yellow-fever, tetanus, polio, japanese encephalitis, meningitis, annual flu vaccinations since 1996 (including 2 different vaccines this year), and the AZ covid vaccine plus booster. I even had the MMR vaccine last year. Nothing has caused any noticable increase in my psoriasis.

Posted Sat 21 May 2022 21.22 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

@Niamh, sorry to hear your current situation. I posted earlier in this thread, but my Father developed P for the first time following the first Pfizer vaccine in Jan 21. Within three months he was covered in most parts of his body. We pushed for an emergency dermatology appt and finally got one in June 21. He was prescribed tablets which have helped. At his most recent appt the dermatologist is now saying he is also developing exzema. We all react differently unfortunately, some of us myself included have to resort to tablets or injections as it wont go on it's own. Others may only have a few small patches which can be controlled using creams and ointments then some may go into remission on it's own. Good luck.

Posted Sat 28 May 2022 03.13 by Mary1968

:( I am in my early 50s, and I have had psoriasis my entire life. Waxed and waned over the years, but usually constantly bad, and permanently there for the most. I cleared myself nearly 15 years ago, and barr the odd small flare, have maintained clearance for pretty much that entire time since. I had a flare up seemingly out of the blue two months ago - been wracking my brains trying to figure out the cause. This post has just made me realize the likely connection.......... Do you think it a coincidence, that I flared up immediately after my second Covid jab? It also explains why I am having issues with clearing it - none of my "go-to" methods are working - and they have NEVER failed me before. Feeling frustrated and annoyed at this realization (especially since, I was forced to get the jabs against my wishes) :(

Posted Tue 13 Feb 2024 18.12 by Acrazydoglady

Wowsers - I've been reviewing my patient record for any trends, Whenever I've had my 3 Covid vaccines - it has triggered a significant decline in my newly acquired plaque psoriasis since March 2021 (despite GP not diagnosing psoriasis until Sep-21, as I'd been bitten by 2 insects in the park the previous summer & they never went away, I had thought it might be lyme as I had a bullseye effect around my wounds - & due Covid I was told just try living with it as it wasn't very bothersome until it spread like wildfire within a month of the 1st vaccine!! As I'd last been clear of guttate psoriasis since 2005!! Plus due to these bites - I was also diagnosed with the Koebner phenomenon, as it also targets old injuries like my left footsole only, and a patch on my head where I got whacked in a car accident. Honestly I thought I was going crazy & probably am!?! No wonder, now in my 50s my body has been having lots of crazy extreme allergic type reactions ever since - it's making perfect sense - e.g. steroid foam made my skin become erythrodermic, a steroid cream applied to a small patch on my face left me hardly able to open my eyes due to the facial swelling, as it worked it's way up my face from my jaw upwards - it was soo bizarre!! Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? - just posting this in case it's food for thought for anyone else!!

Posted Wed 14 Feb 2024 19.37 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

As I'm sure I've posted elsewhere my psoriasis hit me last year at the age of 52. Often had minor skin issues which always self resolved but nothing like this. It's easy to blame COVID but my journey started a couple of weeks after a bad bout which wiped me out for Christmas 2022. The full effect didn't start until several months later when I developed very bad palmoplantar pustulosis which I'm still dealing with. That condition can be triggered by a post viral immune system response so it's reasonable to assume COVID could be responsible. Interestingly they also used some of "our" biologics to treat acute cases in hospital - infliximab in particular.

To take part, sign in or register with us