Hair loss and scalp psoriasis

Posted Fri 10 Sep 2021 16.19 by Niles

I have had scalp psoriasis for a couple of months, so am new to all of this. I'm finding the hair loss, particularly upsetting. Does anyone have any advice? I am starting to fear washing my hair as so much hair seems to come out when I brush it through, no matter how gently I do it. I have been oiling my scalp and using t-gel and more recently Capasal on it, as well as looking at nutrition and supplements. Does anyone know if it is better in the long term to wash my hair more frequently, so that the treatments are getting through to my scalp in the hope that the hair starts to stop falling out or is it ok to just wash it a couple of times a week?

Posted Fri 10 Sep 2021 17.43 by Hamilton

Hi Niles, In my experience the secret to the alleviation of psoriasis scalp problems is moisturisation. Forget expensive shampoos, keep your scalp moisturised. I use Vaseline Aloe Smooth -£2.95 from Tesco - which does the trick. Also you need a precription from your GP for Diprosalic scalp solution, made by Merk Sharp and Dome. Insist on that one as it is the best and covers the whole scalp easily. Apply the moisturiser first and then the Diprosalic, you don't have to wait for the moisturiser to dry. Massage each well into the scalp and leave for as long as possible - over night if you can. Put an old towel over your pillow. It won't hurt to do this again during the day if you are under attack! Regards, Derek Hamilton

To take part, sign in or register with us