Pick me up when having a flare up

Posted Tue 14 Sep 2021 11.06 by Small_potato

Hello everyone, I’m relatively new here and would love to hear some tips on how to cheer yourself up when you are having a bad flare up? My skin seems to be on the war path lately, I’m treated to a new patch pretty much everyday and it can be anywhere from my toes to the palm of my hands! My doctor recently stopped prescribing me the only steroid creams (calcipotriol and clobetasol) that helped ease my skin and suggested I try something weaker, betamethasone valerate aka betnovate. I am also waiting to see a dermatologist and start UVB therapy but there is of course a waiting list and I have been on it for a very long time. My plaque psoriasis is now so bad, I shed everywhere and it’s so embarrassing and really gets me down. It’s easier to list the parts of me that don’t have patches just now. I’ve been very tearful because my skin is so sore, itchy and unsightly. It’s just getting a bit much. It’s even worse now I’m expected to work in the office again and having it all over my hands attracts unwanted attention. Thank you in advance and hope everyone is staying safe and well. X

Posted Thu 16 Sep 2021 08.00 by sixpence60
Hi, I’m a 60 year old female who, until this year (2021j have never had any skin issues. I’ve now been diagnosed with guttate psoriasis

Hi, I’m so very sorry to read this. Yes, it’s hard to stay positive sometimes with this debilitating condition. I find forcing myself to get out for a walk and use podcasts or audio books as a distraction/ focus. I must admit, just reading the forum comments helps me appreciate I’m not on my own. The only other thing I do is moisturise, moisturise, moisturise! I also recently had a couple of massage sessions where they used oils and those really helped my mental state - I was fortunate that they were ok with the fact my body was pretty much covered in guttate psoriasis. I really hope this helps in some small way. I’m thinking about you and hoping you soon get some relief from this horrible condition.

To take part, sign in or register with us