Decades long experience

Posted Fri 1 Oct 2021 18.33 by ReptileSkin

Just wanted to relate a long term experience with plaque psoriasis to see if anyone has similar experiences, or things that have helped them. Also perhaps some of the things that have helped me may help others. I'm 40, started getting plaques at 18 or so, and first thought it was just a scab that wasn't healing on elbows. Finally got diagnosed with psoriasis. Over the years I've started to get it every where but never in huge patches. It covers most of my scalp up to hairline and inside ears, eyebrows. I get small patches on my legs, arms and torso but not too many. I also get it around my groin--everywhere around my groin. It doesn't really change much over time. I don't really get flare ups, sometimes patches just grow a little, or are more irritating. In the beginning betamethasone worked for scalp and groin area, but not on the legs/arms/torso patches. Those always seemed to respond differently to the scalp and groin. Betamethosone eventually stopped working completely and then corticosteroids stopped working and now I do Clobetasol, which thankfully still works, but still only for head and groin. I travel a lot and can get the stuff over the counter in a lot of countries for cheap and without prescription, so I usually just stock up in Latin America as every time I see a doctor here they want to try me on the same old betamethosone that doesn't work. I believe I tried tazarac or something to little success as well in the past, anywhere on my body. As for the arms/legs/torso, I typically use calcipotriol when I can get ahold of a lot for cheap in the right countries (India has a cheap local version, parts of Latin America sometimes carry cheaper brands but Daivonex is nearly never cheap). Calcipotriol helps with scaling but doesn't get rid of it completely. Coal tar is a great temporary relief when it's super itchy/irritating but never offers more than a 1-day/halfday solution. Ditto salicylic acid. It helps and soothes temporarily but never a long term solution, and probably even less so than coal tar. AKA I can use salicylic, but almost always still need coal tar just to not be itchy when it's acting up. The only thing that ever seems to work for me is vacations to tropical countries where I spend a lot of beach time, swimming a lot and getting a lot of sun. When I got to somewhere like Thailand, say, AND use a steady dose of calcipotriol, my patches nearly all clear right up EXCEPT for the scalp and groin. Once, in Brazil, I shaved my head though and my scalp quickly cleared up due to sun and seawater after some initial sunburn, ha. I'm not entirely convinced that a more natural diet in some of these areas isn't part of what helps, but I haven't put my finger on what. I typically drink a fair amount of beer, more so when I travel, so not sure that it's that. Also, very interesting, is that when I go to Florida, even when I spend a lot of beach time, the formula of calcipotriol, sun and seawater DOESN'T get rid of it all, though it helps a little. Maybe Florida isn't far enough south? Finally, I've also noticed that when I do get sunburnt, it often burns off some of the psoriasis patches for a while. Maybe it's just that the excess vitamin D really does work in those cases? Even in Florida? Not sure what's going on here among all the possible factors. I've also stopped drinking for a month and such, without much effect. For three weeks earlier this year I was on the keto diet, didn't seem to do much. Tanning also doesn't seem to do that much per say, though it does make it less irritable. I take vitamin D but not an excessive amount. Anyway, just put this up for sake of comparison. Maybe someone else has similar experiences, or psoriasis that reacts similarly.

Posted Fri 1 Oct 2021 23.51 by ReptileSkin

Also, I forgot to mention, I get it in my nails as well, though seems like I get a combination of psoriasis and nail fungus -- I think one led to the other.

To take part, sign in or register with us