New diagnosis

Posted Tue 5 Oct 2021 08.10 by june13

Hi all- I was recently diagnosed with plague psoriasis. I am in my 60's. I have a few questions about what to expect. 1- I've been using the 2.5 percent steroid cream from the doc. for 2 weeks w absolutely no improvement. Are these creams actually supposed to get rid of the psoriasis or keep it from spreading? 2- I have about 5 very small patches right now.- size of mosquito bites. What are the odds it won't spread- or can I just expect it to get worse??? 3- Best natural treatments. Do aloe vera or tumeric work. Thank you for any insight!!!!;

Posted Tue 5 Oct 2021 10.29 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I am in my 60s, and had my first presentation of plaque psoriasis in Jan 1980 age 22, Within 4 weeks it covered my entire body. In those days the major first step treatment was coal-tar based. Yhat quietened down the plaques, reduced the flaking and itching. But it was like spreading lard over my body. I was also prescribed betnovate (steroid) but I cannot recall now what that was specifically for. I have found that when i have used steroid, eg Dovobet most recently, it pretty well gets rid of the plaques in a few days. Some people have a problem with the psoriasis returning just as bad as soon as they stop the steroid, so-called steroid-rebound, but I never experienced this. In recent years I have only a few patches except in 2018 I had an outbreak of guttate psoriasis all over my truk=nk. I used a coal-tar based lotion to help that, called Exorex. The best "natural" treatment I found was sunshine and swimming in the sea, preferably both together. With the guttate psoriasis I also moisturised the hell out of the places I could reach, as the itching was driving me mad. I tried almost everything on the market and the best was Doublebase Gel (in a large pump-dispenser) and Doublebase Dayleve Gel (also in a pump dispenser). I visited a hospital around that time (Torbay) with my mother and I noticed they had a dermatology clinic and were giving away small tubes of Doublebase for people to try. In 1980 I also used Oilatum oil in the bath and shower, and that helped. I used it again in 2018. Good luck.

To take part, sign in or register with us