Unpleasant appointment with rheumatologist.

Posted Sun 10 Oct 2021 10.10 by Elaine45

Hi I was diagnosed with psa when I was in my mid 20's and have had psoriasis since I was a toddler, both arms and legs and scalp, however since I had my daughter I've been completely clear, which I was told could happen, I get the odd flare up normally on my knees usually in the winter. I've only seen a rheumatologist twice (once when I was diagnosed, and another when I moved to a different part of the UK. Recently I've had enough of the pain in my hips lower back and feet, so pushed to get a referral to hospital. I'm now 2nd guessing myself as when I saw the rheumatologist he stated that I don't have psa (he made me remove my shoes to see my toes and do some exercises for my back) then asked to see my psoriasis, which is obviously in remission. He then stated I don't have psoriasis! Correct me if I'm wrong but psoriasis is incurable and it's just dormant at present. He sent me for xrays to my hands and feet (not heard anything following this) and I'm waiting for a spinal mri appointment. I'm very confused, it states on my notes I was diagnosed with psa years ago (I'm now 45) Do I get a 2nd opinion? He was very rude and said it was because of my weight that my back and hips hurt! My bmi isn't even that high, and I lost weight before the pandemic and still had issues even then!

Posted Sun 10 Oct 2021 11.38 by keron1968
I was diagnosed in 1997with psoriasis and 2017 with psoriatic arthritis

You are correct psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis has no cure but some do get remission and it stay dormant, may be ask for a second opinion. Hope you get the information you need

Posted Sun 10 Oct 2021 16.49 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Elaine, you might want to contact the Psoriasis Association for a chat. They might be able to give some helpful advice. Their contact details are in the second post here: https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/forums/topic.aspx?ID=4087 and also at the bottom of this page. They seem very willing to be contacted, even if they only provide advice and reassurance it might be useful to you.

To take part, sign in or register with us