Should I take methotrexate ????

Posted Fri 22 Oct 2021 10.06 by Paul71

Hi I have been using enstillar foam and various creams for years to keep my psoriasis under control never had totally clear skin but not so itchy and scaly ! I have recently had a consultation and the dermatologist wants to put me on methotrexate but after reading a lot of stuff in the internet it seems to have a lot of side effects and I already have a low immune system due to a steroid inhaler for my asthma. Is this treatment worth risking the side effects ? Just can’t understand why we aren’t offered the biological cures that target the disease better ! Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Posted Fri 22 Oct 2021 11.39 by charmarr

Hi Paul.You have to give it a try.I have been taking it for a while.I have not had any side effects. If you have trouble you can always stop and try something else.

Posted Mon 25 Oct 2021 21.14 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

The docs have guidelines to follow and after topical and UV therapy comes systemic which methotrexate is one. If your dermatologist is aware of your other condition and recommends Mtx then it is down to you. I.M.O it is a balance between better quality of life with a few side effects or sufferering the physical and emotional side effects of having P. I do agree though Mtx can have side effects some serious some not so serious. As far as prescribing biologics to everyone, there are reasons why they don't do this. It is a case of trying and failing then biologics may be considered. Good luck.

Posted Tue 26 Oct 2021 08.07 by Paul71

The thing is the actual effects of psoriasis don’t bother have put up with it for years I am more stressed by the thought of the side effects of Mtx affecting my job and also the amount of time I would have to have off for regular tests. I don’t know if I am better managing it with a better diet and healthier lifestyle,and a mixture of enstillar and e45 as I am at the moment with no side effects.

Posted Tue 26 Oct 2021 10.23 by charmarr

Hi Paul.The only test you will need is a blood test every six weeks.This is to check your liver function. I have this done at my local surgery. You could have this done in the evening or on a Saturday morning. As I said earlier you have to try it. It was life changing for me.

Posted Wed 27 Oct 2021 10.48 by CBMan (edited Wed 27 Oct 2021 10.49 by CBMan)

I had a mixed time with Methotrexate. I went on to it because I had been on a high dose of Sulfasalazine for over ten years and my Rheumatologist was worried about the long term effect. Methotrexate was very effective at clearing up my skin psoriasis, it got to the best state it had been in for years. I also had no side effects as far as I could tell. However, I also have PSA and unfortunately the Methotrexate completely failed to control that. As a result I had to switch back to Sulfasalazine and ultimately on to biologics. If your skin psoriasis is not affecting you adversely then it is worth thinking very hard about further medication. The aim should always be to be on the least possible amount of medication. However, make sure you have all the appropriate information before making a decision. As charmarr pointed out, the regular blood tests are really not all that time consuming or intrusive. You might also want to consider that you might be able to reduce the amount of Enstilar you are using (and there will be short and long term benefits to that).

Posted Sun 14 Nov 2021 22.23 by Billy2018

Hi Paul71, Did you decide to go on the medication? I have had psoriasis about 7 years now, I have tried all sorts of lotions, creams like Enstillar, dovobet etc but nothing! It’s got to the point now where i have it visible on my scalp, stomach and genitals. Genitals now being the area that I am most embarrassed about and wonder if it’s time for me to make a step towards stronger medication.

Posted Mon 15 Nov 2021 14.33 by Paul71

Hi Billy2018 I decided not to take the treatment I weighed everything up and decided to try the route of vitamins and diet to try and heal more naturally. When I looked into Methotrexate it is such and old fashioned drug and there are so many betters ways that we can be helped with the biological cures now available. I have seen footage from America where people have a few jabs and in 6 months it’s virtually gone. I will let you know how I get in but don’t let me put you off the decision is yours and you may decide it’s for you. Hope this helps

Posted Mon 15 Nov 2021 22.54 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

Hi there, I just want to add that whilst biologics work well are are fairly well tolerated, they are black box drugs. I've been on biologics for 7 plus years and whilst I have been almost psoriasis free for much of it, they can cause other health issues. They are not cures, they dampen or bind parts of the immune system and you have to be careful not to get ill (flu, covid, food poisoning). I've had chronic psoriasis for almost 40 years, it never subsides at all without strong treatment. As soon as I stop or delay treatment, it starts creeping back. Always lurking in the background! For me, humira was a wonder drug, 5 years psoriasis free but had 'other' health issues/scares. A year after stooping that I went on Stelara. Whilst not quite as effective as humira for me, it's safer on the heart apparently. I don't really have a choice, it's either biologics or severe psoriasis.

To take part, sign in or register with us