Getting diagnosed

Posted Mon 22 Nov 2021 13.50 by Sar

After years of struggling with eczema I finally saw a dermatologist who diagnosed it as psoriasis. Saw a rheumatologist a few years ago with joint pain but basically told me to go away as I didn’t have psoriasis. I’ve been referred back and want to know what hoops I will be asked to jump through to get a diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis. I have the following problems: Achilles insertional tendinitis in both feet. Moretons neuroma in left foot. Swollen left ankle with pain when wearing boots. Right knee pain with occasional swelling and redness. Tennis el or right arm. Right shoulder soreness. Hip pain both sides. Historical sacroiliac joint pain from a late pregnancy. Pain in fingers and toes. Swelling in thumb joint and occasional clawing of the hand. I have mild asthma Reynaulds Syndrome Vitiligo I’m 50 years old. Otherwise fit and well and very active usually but the knee and foot pain are becoming very debilitating and I find myself hobbling about like a 90 year old. The dovovet I started on last week is doing a great job on my skin. What else will the consultant need to know to help with the diagnosis? When I saw them a few years ago I left feeling like a hypochondriac with a diagnosis of wear and tear.

Posted Sat 4 Dec 2021 14.29 by kaye-t

Sounds so familiar and so frustrating. I'm now 61 and AT LONG LAST actually have a diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis. I've suffered with psoriasis for 40 years on and off, terrible joint pain, very bad stomach problems, weakness in arms and hands, degrenerating tendons etc etc for well over 20 years. I've been called a hypochondriac by my relatives in the past. I'm just so tired all the time. Orthopedic consultants have said my knees have general wear and tear and just a bit of arthritis so keep exercising and said...'what do you expect at your age?'!!! Rhumatologist I saw in the past said my pains were probably due to 'the change' and said he didn't need to see me again. I recently changed my GP practice and saw a lovely GP I'd never seen before, I was scared as I'd been dropping things and my knees kept giving way and thought I'd got something drasticly bad. He said then that looking at my history he thought I had psoriatic arthritis. I had blood tests, xrays on my knees and a scan on my wrists and hands. He referered me back to the rhumatologist with whom I had a face to face appointment. He actually injected my knee....Oh bliss...I had undisturbed sleep for the first time in so long and my poor puffy knee looked so slim!!! I'm due to go back to discuss long term treatment and he'll inject my wrist as well. I think it took 'fresh eyes' to actually join all the dots. I wish you luck.....hopefully you'll finally get the answers you want, fingers crossed.

Posted Sat 4 Dec 2021 16.27 by Sar

Thanks Kaye, you’ve given me some hope at least. I’ve been referred to rheumatology but have been told there’s a six month waiting list. I’m toying with the idea of a private consultation but then the X-rays and scans would all need paying for too. Hope they sort you out. It’s awful being in pain all the time when you know there are treatments available that could help.

Posted Sat 4 Dec 2021 18.59 by OhNo_NotAgain?

If you have not already read the section on this site about Psoriatic Arthritis, it might be helpful for you to do so: https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/about-psoriatic-arthritis There is a lot more to this site than just the forum discussiions.

Posted Sat 4 Dec 2021 19.51 by Sar

Thank you. Yes I’ve read it.

Posted Tue 8 Feb 2022 12.04 by Jax 84

Useful to find this support. I am doubting myself but also feel I do have psoriatic arthritis. Diagnosed with psoriasis a few months ago, my Dad has psoriatic arthritis and I have feet and hand stiffness and pain, recent back and rib pain and of late a red slightly swollen tip of my second left toe. My muscles ache at times. Specific fingers are more painful than others. Soles of my feet are sore when walking sometimes but better on other days. Knee joint has been painful and catches when walking. Otherwise was active and fit and healthy. Sometimes feel nauseous and like I have a hangover when I wake up! GP did bloods which all came back normal. Await x rays of feet and hands and knee. Just called my local hospital and the wait for a routine rheumatology referral is 56 weeks…. Given my normal bloods I am doubting myself and probably my GP thinks I am a hypochondriac now but it definitely feels as if something is not right with my health. To me the obvious suspect is psoriatic arthritis but it seems a bit of an elusive condition from what I’ve read and as such, being diagnosed is problematic.

Posted Tue 8 Feb 2022 12.29 by OhNo_NotAgain?

As far as I am aware (and I could be wrong), there is no specific blood test to definitively diagnose psoriatic arthritis. It tends to be diagnosed by excluding other conditions and forms of arthritis that DO have a specific marker in blood tests. After discussion with my GP, I am possibly in early stages of psoriatic arthritis, I have psoriasis and I have painful finger joints, but not swollen deformed knuckles. However, we both decided it was largely irrelevant and somewhat moot, as there is also no specific treatment for psoriatic arthritis as distinct from other forms of inflammatory arthritis.

Posted Tue 8 Feb 2022 12.48 by Sar

It’s so frustrating isn’t it! I am having surgery in a couple of weeks to remove two neuromas from the ball of my foot. I’m sure it’s caused by Psa as I’ve never worn heels or pointy shoes. Not bothered what the doctor wants to call the condition, I’d just like something to help relieve the symptoms so I can feel normal again.

Posted Mon 21 Feb 2022 23.15 by Terry

The rash wont go away. Don't know what to do.

Posted Thu 14 Apr 2022 00.21 by WillT

Hi all really sympathise and Covid has been a massive the issue of waiting lists. I have had an orthopedic surgeon who has done both hips and now is lining up both shoulders. Been with pain clinic 3 years and he wanted a rhumatoidolist opinion. I was told 40 week wait and couldn't as work were pressuring me on sick pay. I paid privately for the session. He wanted to do blood tests, bone scan and MRIs ( again). I explained it wasn't possible for me to afford all those tests and was then referred back into NHS for further diagnosis but had removed the 40 week wait. He has confirmed I have psoriasis arthritis if my doctors had linked my bone damage and history of psoriasis I might not have had the same level of damage to joints and spine I must now live with.

Posted Thu 14 Apr 2022 08.30 by kaye-t

Hopefully you'll be able to start long term medication to stop any new damage. I've been lucky enough to have regular appointments, I had another injection and the consultant suggested I start on Methotrexate. I'm still thinking about it, my worry is the weakened amunne system.

Posted Thu 14 Apr 2022 15.33 by Leomad1

Hi I'm new here, but have been reading the comments way back. I have just been diagnosed with severe guttate psoriasis and just wanted to know what to expect from it really. It took me so long to actually convince the GP to do a face to face and eventually after sending in photos on 4 separate occasions, being diagnosed with and treated for dermatitis/fungal skin infection/pityriasis rosea I was told it was psoriasis and I needed referral to a dermatologist. I was also told there would be at least a 40 week wait, so I decided to go privately(at least for a consultation and confirmation of what the condition actually is for sure). I was wondering how long it takes for this to clear up and if it does clear up what are peoples experiences with it returning. Sorry it's a long message with questions, but it is my 25th Wedding anniversary end of June and we have been saving for a romantic holiday in Jamaica and I feel any but romantic; how can anyone find my body that is 75-80% covered in this rash attractive. I was thinking of trying sunbeds for 3 minutes at a time to see if this helps, what sun screens are recommended for psoriasis sufferers??? Thanks.

To take part, sign in or register with us