Psoriasis and Fatigue

Posted Tue 7 Dec 2021 13.18 by Pipster

Hi Just wanted to post about my experience as having a major major flare up. I'm about to start a new treatment of a new type of drug called Bimekizumab. There is a lot of things that have led up to the flare up. Late last year my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer and died in Jan of this year. So dealt with a lot. I also had the Astra Zenica injection at the start of Feb and again in May. Gradually after this my skin and joints became bad. I was being injected every 8 weeks with guselkumab but it stopped working. I've had to fight to get onto a new treatment. I really do feel that the vaccine has played a part in this flare up. I've also had a booster, which I’ve been told yesterday from my rheumatologist is being classed as a 3rd shot and I'll be due another one in a few months’ time. That one will be classed as a booster. The worst part of all of this for me is the extreme fatigue I get when flaring. It's actually to the point where it is ruining my life. I could quite easily sleep from 9pm until 7am. Get up but then feel so exhausted and tired that I physically cannot move about in the morning. As the day goes on this gets easier. I have thoughts where I plan to do various tasks or hobbies but when the time comes to it, I just feel exhausted and just need relax and lie down. Every time I get a flare up this happens. Last night I was reading this document online https://www.everydayhealth.com/psoriasis/is-psoriasis-cause-of-fatigue/ and reading it, it ticked so many boxes for me. For years I have explained to the hospital about how I feel and they have never ever linked it to my disease. It was always a case of do more exercise or make yourself go for a walk. Look at your diet but whatever I did this horrible feeling of fatigue would remain. Every day was different and I have had good days where I feel really good and get on with things but the bad days are so horrendous that I wouldn't even have the energy to go load or unload the dishwasher. I have a very loving family but they don't fully understand. How can they when I don't understand. It stopped me working to the point of being unpaid. The doctors kept telling me I am just depressed because of the flare up and also the situation of losing my father earlier this year. It’s just that article above has really hit home and what if this is the cause of the fatigue. I feel at the moment that I have just let it lie and not pushed and pushed to get confirmation they are linked. This is something I really want them to confirm is an actual symptom and then try and find out a way to overcome this. I can cope with the flakes of skin, the patches etc. It’s the fatigue I can't. Today I phoned the doctor and explained what I had read and I feel it is linked. They couldn't do much for me other than say hopefully when the new treatment starts next week, I will start to see an improvement. Does this sound familiar to anyone at all? Does anyone else suffer with sever fatigue and if so, what do you do to help it? I really am at my wits end over the state of everything now and not enjoying my life at all. Getting nowhere with the experts and don't know who to turn too.

Posted Tue 14 Dec 2021 09.11 by june

So sorry for your loss of your father,I fully believe that heartbreak and stress makes psoriasis flare up I've changed my diet,and have found it has made a difference to the appearance on my skin ,but the fatigue is always there muscle pain,the feeling of carrying a heavy weight on every part of my body is constant,other people don't understand what it's like to be constantly tired, I've resigned myself to hope that a cure will be found ,and in the meantime , keep trying some of the treatment that is on offer.

Posted Mon 3 Jan 2022 13.26 by Yacht

Psoriasis very often causes minor or major depression, which in turn can make people feel very tired. Bimekizumab (Bimzelx) is new and looks very promising. One recent study suggests there is a 62% chance of 100% psoriasis clearance within 4 months. That makes it one of the very best treatments available anywhere right now. Good luck. Fingers crossed that it works for you.

Posted Mon 3 Jan 2022 13.32 by Pipster

Well I started it 3 weeks ago. Due my 2nd injection next week. The loading dose is on week 0, 4, 8, 12 and 16 weeks and then every 8 weeks. 320mg spread over 2 injections. My Psoriasis was cleared within 11 days. Honestly, 11 days. Myself and my partner cannot believe it. My skin is still stained, the pigment has changed because of the psoriasis but the skin is smooth. I know from experience that this will fade over time. The horrible flakey skin that cracks and bleeds has gone though. On a whole each day I feel better. My family have hugely noticed a change in mood and energy levels. I don't feel exhausted or tired constantly. I wake up and feel like I want to get things done whereas before this treatment I would want to go back to bed. Biggest one for me is getting back to playing guitar because I hated not being able to do that.

Posted Tue 4 Jan 2022 17.43 by Yacht

Full 100% psoriasis clearance in 2 weeks is a stunning result. Please do report back on how things evolve after weeks 4 to 52.

Posted Fri 28 Jan 2022 10.42 by lizziep

Hi Pipster - has your improvement continued?

Posted Fri 28 Jan 2022 10.47 by Pipster

Hi I'm still 100% clear of any psoriasis, the skin pigment is still darkened where the patches were but I do know from past flare ups these will fade in term and once the weather is better here in the North East of England, it will help hugely. Tiredness is still a problem. Not as bad as it was but also feeling aches around joints. I've had the 2nd injection and due the 3rd in a couple of weeks. Overall it is amazing the change and just need to work on the tiredness and hoping excerise will help improve that.

Posted Sat 29 Jan 2022 10.04 by lizziep

that's brilliant. I'm sorry pleased for you.

To take part, sign in or register with us