Advice

Posted Tue 4 Jan 2022 17.15 by sbickers

I've had psoriasis for many years, but it has been very mild, and not caused any real issues, but recently it has flared up on my face (mainly around the nose & on my chin). I don't know why it has suddenly got worse, but I am quite self-conscience about it. I also have coeliac disease, which like psoriasis is an autoimmune problem (I am on a gluten free diet). I have some Dovobet that I was prescribed a long time ago, which helps, but I'd like to try & find other ways of managing the symptoms. For example I've started taking Vitamin D & Omega 3 fish oil tablets, and trying Actimel (as I have read diet can affect psoriasis), I'm also using moisturisers. My question is what have others found has helped their psoriasis, whether that my creams you use, diet, changes to lifestyle, etc? Thank you in advance.

Posted Tue 4 Jan 2022 20.52 by Paul

Have just found this site my psoriasis has just come on in the last 4 months have been on dovobet it had done nothing and the psoriasis has got worse its all over my body now nor sure what to now has anybody got any advice

Posted Wed 5 Jan 2022 04.55 by PsoriasMD

I've lived with psoriasis since I was 16. I'm 42 now. Once you have plaques over more than 25%- 50% of your body, creams, lotions and ointments become a patch solution. You should discuss with your dermatologist/physician what systemic therapies are available to you. There are multiple options now. For me, diet never seemed to matter. I could eat chocolate or have a glass of wine and it didn't matter. Psoriasis is an autoimmune reaction mediated by T cells. Sometimes one has to be more aggressive.

1 Posted Wed 5 Jan 2022 11.56 by Yacht

Dovobet is a strong steroid and not really designed for thin face skin. This is a typical medical process for psoriasis. Mild = creams or foams Medium = UVB light or pills Severe = pills or injections (biologics) A rough definition could be: Mild = <10 red spots Medium = 10-50 Severe = >50 Few, if any, studies show psoriasis can be cleared by diet or lifestyle changes. Although, some say eating 10-50 blueberries per day might sometimes work (by damping inflammation).

Posted Wed 5 Jan 2022 12.36 by lizziep

Yacht - I've tried the blueberry thing after reading about it here and it doesn't help me - but having said that I still keep eating them each day in the hope that it might as they must be good for me anyway.

Posted Sun 23 Jan 2022 02.33 by Mary1968

Hello sbickers Diet cleared me. Took around nine months I think. Hard to remember exact dates now, as was over ten years ago, But before I did that, I took Vitamin D3 (around 5000IU) and fish oil EPA / DHA (1000mg), daily, and after about 3 - 4 months, I started to see very good clearance. Then did the diet, and the combination cleared me up. Leaving a very stressful job, also helped enormously

To take part, sign in or register with us