Metallic taste after first Adalimumab injection

Posted Fri 7 Jan 2022 11.47 by VHean

Hey, I'm new to this site, this is my first post, but I have had psoriatic arthritis for around 23 years now. I have been through a bunch of medications but have finally now been started on biologics. I am really hoping these help! I am currently taking leflunomide and sulfasalazine and they have just added adalimumab injections to the mix. I took my first injection this morning and now a few hours later have a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? And what other side effects people have had after taking their first injection. I was on methotrexate for years and that really messed with my taste, I wasn't sure if it was the same for this drug too. Thanks

Posted Sun 13 Mar 2022 16.03 by Wendi

Hi, Can you let me know how you are getting on with Adalimumab as I am just about to start it. Methotrexate gives me a metallic taste as well. Hope it's working for you.

Posted Sun 22 May 2022 19.46 by Lsmith58

My rheumatologist just started me on Humira last week (5/17) and I too have developed a strange metallic sensation in my mouth, and my tongue seems to be a combination of “scratchy”, numb, and dry-feeling. I have been thinking I’m crazy because I haven’t been able to find much about this online as it seems to only be the case with a small amount of people. The first injection was just a sample and now my doctor wants to try me on methyltrexate, which I haven’t yet started. I was reading that it caused you to have a metallic taste? Ugh. I honestly don’t want to take it even more now. Does it help with symptoms at all? I’m sorry this is happening, but know you’re not alone. I don’t like this at all and want to know how long it’s gonna last. I’ll update more here if I find out. Hope you guys do too!

Posted Sun 22 May 2022 21.53 by Wendi

Hi, I'm on Methotrexate injection and Amgevita injections. I only seem to have side effects from the Methotrexate. I time them for about 7pm and go to bed about 9pm. This means I sleep through the worst of it. Things that help are anything with ginger in it. Either tea, cordial or gummy sweets which you can buy from Lakeland.co.uk. Even if you don't like ginger, it really does help. I also carry mints in my bag and car. Everyone is different but I think it's worth persevering with these medicines. It's taken me a while to get to this stage but when I think about how bad I have been, then I know it's the right thing to do. I've tried lots of combinations of medication, you have to be resilient with Psoriatric arthritis. Hope this helps.

Posted Mon 23 May 2022 03.46 by Lsmith58

Thanks for the response. This is what I’ve heard (“you have to be resilient with PSA”). I’m scared to be on methotrexate. Will try taking them at night, as you suggested. I guess I’m just afraid of immunosuppressants altogether. I’m new to this, having Psoriasis for years, but the PSA only popped up here in the past few months. I’m trying to be hopeful that the benefits will outweigh the side effects, but not looking forward to being on a bunch of different meds, hoping they’ll work and dealing with weird side effects like this - this constant metallic dry tender tongue is so yucky. It’s so weird that it only popped up after I started the Humira injection. I will definitely try ginger as well as mints. Anything that will help. I bought some Biotene spray and have been using it, but it’s only temporary relief. I get scared it won’t return to normal. I wonder what causes it, as I haven’t read about this being a common side effect with Humira. Sorry if I’m all over the place. New here! I hope this doesn’t deter you from trying it, as I know these meds work differently for everyone.

Posted Mon 23 May 2022 07.03 by Wendi

Hi, just to reassure you, that all your concerns are ones that had. I was diagnosed with psa last year. I did not take this news well and did not want to take Methotrexate. I was then offered Sulfasalazine, and tried to delay taking this as well! It took me a while to get my head around taking Amgevita(humeria) Injections and medications are not pleasant at all. I always read the side effects but this doesn't always help. I really struggled with Methotrexate to start with and the dose was constantly increased but as time has passed, it has become easier. Try to do something gentle for yourself when you take it but I find I am better the next day if I have something to keep my mind occupied. Hopefully it will help you, it seems to be helping me.

Posted Thu 2 Mar 2023 02.43 by gkretchik

7 days after my first humira dose- I have experiences a loss of taste or bad taste in my mouth. I also feel like I am going crazy as there is no information about this. I also think my Rheum and Pharmacologist have dismissed the possibility that this could be a reaction to the drug, The more I read the more I get a sense that perhaps its possible. Has anyone found any really strong evidence that I can show my doctors?

Posted Sat 4 Mar 2023 16.37 by Lsmith58

Hi Gretchik- this strange taste I developed in my mouth ended up disappearing after a few months. I did not continue taking Humira after the initial dosage. I ended up getting a second opinion from another Rheumatologist who told me that while it is true that I showed some signs of PSA, it’s not entirely possible that I have it considering the symptoms can’t be contributed solely to that. I would highly recommend contacting Pfizer through their website to report the strange metallic taste. I called them and spoke to one of their representatives who told me that it was not a widely reported symptom. I think the more people that report it, the better, as they will eventually recognize that it is. I never found any evidence online that it is a symptom, unfortunately. Good luck to you with this!

Posted Mon 27 Mar 2023 20.14 by Tara

Hi guys I’m new to the forum but have suffered from PSA for past 7years.I’m on just biological meds and it’s the best thing ever. I feel like a new women !

Posted Sun 7 May 2023 23.50 by rob.hocking@live.com.au

Hi Everyone. I have just started Humira for PSA after years of failed treatments . I too , after about a week have lost my taste suddenly. . Whilst it’s annoying I would be happy to trade this for the pain relief I am expecting from Humira. To be honest (and maybe it’s psycholigical) I feel as if it’s already working. I will report the side effect but I am also coming off prednisone and wonder whether this may be effecting taste. I truly hope that anyone with this condition finds a pathway to reduce the pain it creates. Good luck and keep at it

Posted Mon 8 May 2023 16.53 by gkretchik

Hello, I too felt the effects of the Humira right away. I am not surprised by that. I do not know if pred. can change your sense of taste. I know I was on Sulfasalzine and deep in some clinical research there were reports that some people have experienced a loss or change in taste after 4-5 weeks. I went off it right away. for about a month I had no taste and another month I had metallic taste. Finally about about 8-10 weeks I got my taste back. I am convinced it was the sulf. however when I first thought it was the Hum. I did see there were small numbers reporting a change in taste. Nothing clinical yet. I did report it and I do think its possible that it is an under studies side effect. My docotrs didn't want to believe it was the HUM but they were also resistant to the idea it was the SULF. until they finally read about it themselves. Good luck to you.

To take part, sign in or register with us