Big Toenail removal

Posted Tue 1 Feb 2022 14.09 by Nigelsb

I have been offered permanent removal of my big toenails which have suffered over past few years resulting in deformities and separation from nail bed as a result of a combination of nail psoriasis and fungal infection. Topical treatments for either have not been successful and I don’t want to venture down the internal treatments like Turberfine for the fungus etc.. If anyone has gone down this nail removal route, can they share their experience of success or otherwise or complications whether permanent removal or if regrown (in which case impact on future nail psoriasis and fungus) Thank you

Posted Tue 1 Feb 2022 19.18 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Hi Nigel, I can only comment from my experience. I developed in growing toenails following taking Acitretin. I had one big toe nail removed. The problem came back on both big toe nails so had the beds removed on both a year later. This was in the 90s. Since then I had no further problems with the nails although it is odd one has grown what looks like a hard thick fungus type nail and the other is basically just soft skin. So a total bed removal was successful in my case and haven't suffered P on them or not had to apply any creams etc. Although not the same problem as yours, I hope that helps.

Posted Wed 2 Feb 2022 10.57 by Nigelsb

It certaonly does help. Thankyou Steview Would be great to here from anyone else

To take part, sign in or register with us