Acitretin and mood

Posted Wed 23 Feb 2022 09.10 by Moggy1

Hi 😊 I started taking 10mg a day of acitretin in April 2021 and as my PPP was very bad and responded well to treatment felt very positive and I can honestly say my mood wasn’t noticeable effected. 6 months on in November 2021 I became obsessed with something that happened 30 years ago before I got married and I just can’t stop thinking about it and it’s causing problems with my husband and could lead to divorce as my husband says he can’t continue. I know I am being unreasonable but just can’t stop myself saying things. Could the build up of acitretin now be effecting my mood ? Has anyone had similar experience ? Any advice would be welcome . Thanks

Posted Wed 23 Feb 2022 16.24 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Sorry to hear that and hope you resolve your current issues. I stopped Acitretin in 2008 after 20 years. Amongst many of the side effects I have reflected since stopping that the drug affected my moods and embarrassingly I had times when I spoke out of turn to people or had elements of anger at certain situations. I have since spoken with my dermatogists about this experience although he couldn't confirm that it was an affect of Acitretin. I am sure it was because since stopping I don't seem to experience the same affects. To this day I still think Acitretin is a nasty drug compared to alternatives. Good luck.

Posted Sat 5 Mar 2022 20.39 by Matt1972

I took it for about 7 months and it did give me mood swings. I was depressed obviously with the state of my skin, and the drug didn't do much. made my skin less flaky and more pink than red. There were times it made me so angry though. Was glad to come off it, went onto cyclosporin and later methotrixate. I know they try everything before u get on biological injections, but it definitely affected my mood.

To take part, sign in or register with us