Travelling abroad with PsA

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2022 09.29 by saralou

Hi to all I am hoping to travel to Spain soon which will be my first trip since the Covid outbreak 2 years ago, and also this will be my first trip abroad since being diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and prescribed Methotrexate. I wondered if anyone has any advice or precautions you would recommend as I'm quite nervous about the trip, partly due to Covid still being present in the community and also about travelling with the meds? Does anyone take a letter from their Doctor to explain the medication to present at the airport or to health professionals, if they become ill? Do you put your injection pens in your hand luggage or in the hold? So many questions that hadn't crossed my mind until now. Thanks in advance for any advice or support.

Posted Tue 15 Mar 2022 07.20 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Tue 15 Mar 2022 07.21 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

@saralou: It might not be 100% necessary, but I would advise carrying a letter from your Doctor confirming your prescription etc "just in case". Whenever I travel anywhere, I try to carry things that I cannot afford to lose in my hand-luggage. I do not use injection pens, but always carry medication in my hand luggage. However I do not know if injection pens have any restrictions to carry in hand-luggage on flights. It is always advisable to check with the airline as well as websites. Check also if the airline might require any form of "fit to fly" certificate or letter from your Doctor (be aware that you might need to pay for letters from your GP). I would try to get any reply from the airline on requirements or restriction in writing, eg a letter or email.

Posted Thu 31 Mar 2022 17.34 by Debsbeaney

I take the repeat prescription form and pack all medication in my hand luggage. If case goes missing you are stuffed if taking meds and its hard work getting replacements abroad. i also take an empty water bottle which can be filled once through checks. My husband also carries a copy of our paperwork too just in case. I will also be taking a couple of lateral flow tests just in case we get symptoms while away Hope this helps

Posted Mon 4 Apr 2022 00.16 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Hi Saralou, this may be a little late ad you may have already left for your trip. I have been to the Canaries twice this year and found it safer than home. In and around hotels staff and guests were still wearing masks. Anyway your meds, yes I agree take a letter or repeat prescription. I got a letter to take my Stelera injection through security, in the end I injected the evening before we left for the trip. Saved the hassle of putting in a cool bag and explaining to security. I am not sure if the mtx injections have to be stored in a cool back. Airport security are usually understanding and if you have any other creams or medicines over 100ml / 100gm you are also permitted to take them with a prescription or letter. Have a good trip.

To take part, sign in or register with us