Recommendations for light therapy via private healthcare?

Posted Thu 24 Dec 2015 14.00 by rosequartz

I am trying to find a private healthcare provider that will be able to offer my father light treatment. There is a 6 month waiting list at our local hospital. Recommendations are most welcome.

Posted Sat 16 Jan 2016 23.17 by Chs123
Gutters psoriasis at 14, 21, 26, 31, and again now at 33

Hi I have done thus three times at our private hospital. Then had treatment on NHS. I just told them very clearly whilst ideas there first time and they had no problem with that.

Posted Wed 31 May 2017 10.02 by wilson

Hi just wondering which hospital group you were able to get the private theapy for, also looking for my fathers who is on the waiting list for nhs treatment? Thanks

Posted Mon 5 Jun 2017 14.06 by Metarie1985
Beauty standard ignorer, unapologetic P sufferer for 10 years, determined to stay positive!

There is no private option for UVB where I am (Aberdeen) - you'd had to contact the hospitals to find out if there is with you. 10 years ago when I was diagnosed by a private dermatologist, he referred me back to the NHS for the treatments.

Posted Sun 15 Oct 2017 11.30 by Idy
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

I believe Bupa offer phototherapy. See https://www.bupa.co.uk/health/bupa-on-demand/dermatology. I've had to wait over 3 months to start phototherapy and I'm considering going private in the future if I happen to be able to afford it at the time. See my post today in https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/forums/topic.aspx?ID=411. A 6 month wait is a complete disgrace. I hope you that your local NHS waiting list is brought down, or you can afford private treatment and it goes well.

Posted Sat 9 Sep 2023 15.29 by carkod

Thanks everyone for all the information, it's very useful. I have an additional question, I have the same situation of all you, but I live in London, so the wait is 1 year... Fortunately we have many different private insurers that include phototherapy. However a big problem I've found is that they don't accept pre-existing conditions? How do you work around that? If you have psoriasis (or eczema in my case) and you want to get private healthcare specifically for this, they are not going to approve the treatment because it's was not there before you signed up for the insurance? I may be missing something so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Posted Sun 10 Sep 2023 13.32 by lizziep (edited Sun 10 Sep 2023 13.33 by lizziep)

I think you will have to pay for the light treatment.if you are not prepare for an NHS wait as it obviously won't be covered on insurance.

Posted Wed 13 Sep 2023 13.13 by mt382

Crikey, just buy a single panel unit!

Posted Thu 14 Sep 2023 22.05 by Polly

yes - mt382 - I actually have a home unit and they. work well.

To take part, sign in or register with us