Is it Psoriasis

Posted Sat 13 Aug 2022 09.29 by TerMac

Good Morning, Some years ago I had an itchy rash pop up on the whole of my upper body which cleared up quickly with a prescription from my GP. Last October I developed red lines along my hips. I saw a registrar at the surgery who did blood tests which showed my organs were functioning correctly, no diabetes and other things. She advised applying Hydrocortisone cream. This had no effect and other areas of redness were developing. Went back to registrar who admitted she had no idea what is was so she asked a colleague to take a look. After a quick glance he said fungal infection. Over the next few months I tried Dactacort, Trimovate & Betnovate. Nothing helped and more red patches were popping up. Tried another registrar at the surgery who prescribed Trimovate again which didn't help. I managed to then see a senior GP who said it was psoriasis and prescribed the latest treatment on the market which after two weeks doesn't feel like it's doing anything although the redness inside my elbows is lighter. It's not itchy and the bulk of it is not exposed so I'm wondering if I should just accept that it's there and not worry? I was interested to read that Blueberry's can help and cutting down on alcohol so will try that. I'm currently monitoring my blood pressure as requested by my surgery and that is showing as moderately high. I wonder if lifestyle has an impact on my particular psoriasis. Any thoughts and suggestions most welcome. Teresa

Posted Sun 14 Aug 2022 01.40 by Mary1968

Hello Teresa In regards to your heading : Is It Psoriasis? If two professionals (register and senior GP), could not properly diagnose you, not sure what answers you expect to find here?! :) Maybe see a dermatologist, and get more specific tests I normally have plaque psoriasis, and after the Covid jab flared up really badly with a very sore and painful rash. Started off small and then just started popping up everywhere. My normal GP had no idea what it was and treated me for a fungal infection - needless to say that was unsuccessful. The dermatologist isn't 100% sure either, but at least did say that it looks like Inverse psoriasis, which I have never had before. He also said a LOT of people were reporting the same reaction after having Covid jabs. He gave me a body wash called QV and also the QV moisturizing lotion, and a mild cream called Hydrozole. The combination of all three is excellent, and slowly every day over the past fortnight, I am getting more and more clearance as the days pass.

Posted Sun 14 Aug 2022 17.27 by TerMac

Thanks for sharing what is working for you. I just thought that there was a wealth of experience here which a couple of Gp's might not have as I have heard that sometimes they've been known to turn to Google for answers! Best wishes Tetesa

Posted Sun 14 Aug 2022 22.25 by michmo

im not convinced its psoriasis,just my opinion mind.i have psoriasis and alcohol definately makes it more aggresive.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 2022 07.38 by TerMac

Thanks. I'm going to try the no alcohol route after we've had our little holiday this week. I have very dry skin and used an emollient which made it more comfortable. This latest doctor advised using a moisturiser once it has cleared up but it's not clearing up and it's starting to get itchy again. Yesterday I noticed a couple more patches on my leg. I guess it's a case of trying various things to see which works for me. Best wishes Teresa

Posted Mon 5 Sep 2022 12.48 by Peter S
I have psoriasis on about 1/3 of my body...have had it for over 10 years and its getting worse.

When you say its not itching, that's quite common with psoriasis. You can get entire areas that never itch at all, while other areas can itch like crazy. Especially bad is when new areas pop up, often in the form of smaller spots that then merge together. I generally find that the oldest areas are the ones that itch the least.

Posted Mon 5 Sep 2022 14.35 by TerMac

Thanks, I thought Psoriasis was always itchy so good to know it's not always the case. I haven't gone back to the doctor because the treatments I have been given haven't helped at all. I'm trying a few lifestyle changes to lose weight and get my blood pressure down. Having monitored it over a week I've confirmed high blood pressure although GP hasn't offered any advice for it yet. We shall see.

Posted Wed 5 Oct 2022 10.56 by Karen
Here to spread the good news "together we can"

I used herbal medicine when I had psoriasis and it works perfectly well, I'd recommend you try it out too

Posted Sat 8 Oct 2022 15.50 by TerMac

Thanks Karen. Could you share what worked for you please.

1 Posted Sun 9 Oct 2022 14.35 by Karen
Here to spread the good news "together we can"

It's a homemade herbal medicine I got it from a herbal doctor

Posted Wed 12 Oct 2022 12.57 by Donna

I'm diagnosed with Psoriatic Enthesitis (without skin issues) and have been for quite a few years. Take Sulfasalazine daily. However, just over the last week I have noticed red "patches" appearing in various places all over my body. My sister has very severe psoriasis over every part of her body so I know what it looks like but these are not raised, not scaly, not particularly itchy - some are very small, some are about the size of a 5p and others are about the size of a 50p. No defined edges, no clusters and just a bit like a red birth mark but I am sure they are not that. I was warned to expect to develop psoriasis eventually but not sure whether this is it or not. However, reading on here about Covid and its impact, I am not sure I want to go ahead with the third booster. I struggle enough with various conditions and really don't want to trigger full blown psoriasis.

To take part, sign in or register with us