Pso and alcohol

Posted Fri 28 Apr 2023 16.24 by briancromack
Hands, feet, legs, elbows, scalp, back, psoriatic arthritis

Hi folks. I've had psoriasis since childhood (now 50 years old), but only in tiny bits - scalp, elbows etc. In 2014, I had my first major outbreak - went through all the usual - light therapy, acitretin, ciclosporin, Humira, and now on Risankizumab - *however*, I'm also now a chronic alcoholic (no point being shy about this). I'm awaiting treatment to get out of the booze, but as I'm sure some of you know, it is a long and painful road out of hell. So fast forward to today. My psoriasis is the worst it has ever, ever been - and it just getting worse every day. I know the drink is my fault - I'm not looking for sympathy - I just wondered if anyone else has experience of alcohol abuse and Pso. Just would be nice to speak to someone else who has been - or is going - through this horror. Best regards, Brian

Posted Sat 29 Apr 2023 10.36 by bargainlovingmum

Hi Brian - good on you being so honest and open about this. Respect to you. I bet there's lots of people that can relate to what you're saying. I know alcohol makes my psoriasis worse and I know someone else in your situation, but he's not on this forum. I really hope you get some helpful thoughts from others on the forum All the very best x

Posted Mon 1 May 2023 14.49 by Debrina13

Hi Brian I'm experiencing exactly the same issues I hope you can find a result I know what I need to help my psoriasis but the depression and alcohol takes over Good luck 👍

Posted Fri 5 May 2023 21.59 by briancromack

Thanks, folks, my magnificent sisters are taking me to the hospital tomorrow for a final CT scan. Once my lungs are clear, I can start the injections again!!!!! Thanks all for answering me - you are life savers!! XXX

Posted Fri 5 May 2023 22.15 by briancromack

Hi Debrina13 - I have a guess we are similar. The therapist always says "If you don't talk, you never recover". So would be nice to talk again. Whenever you want to. -- Take care, Brian

Posted Sun 21 May 2023 22.58 by LondonWest
Had P on and off for many years 🤗

i stopped drinking alcohol years ago and it made absolutely no difference to my psoriasis

Posted Sat 27 May 2023 13.09 by AzureBlue

Well done on your honesty, that in itself is the first step on the road to recovery. Alcohol doesn’t seem to make any difference to mine. Sometimes I’ll drink loads, other times nothing and my psoriasis always stays the same. You don’t need me to tell you that psoriasis can be an absolute tw*t of a thing, enough to drive anyone to drink. With the NHS being so abysmal, with long waits for everything, unsympathetic medics, and having to jump through hoops even for a bigger tube of steroid ointment, I wonder how many other sufferers are ‘self medicating’ either with alcohol or something else. Anyway, good luck on your journey mate. You got this!

Posted Mon 18 Mar 2024 13.17 by Yogacherry - from Hastings, East Sussex
Hello, I was diagnosed with guttate psoriasis October 2023, after symptoms began in May 2023. II am 60 and have just finished an MA.

Hi Brian, I developed guttate psoriasis at age 60 last year 2023. I do enjoy my alcohol and if I am honest am alcohol dependent and use it as a crutch but I try drink breaks as well e.g. dry January. I did notice an improvement in my psoriasis but to be fair I was also using Enstilar for half the month so that was definitely a factor. I'm really down about the fact that alcohol could be a trigger but I have tried to give up other sugars - I don't have much of a sweet tooth. I'm still experimenting with it all. I start phototherapy in a couple of weeks. I doubt I will stop drinking altogether but I will cut down. This situation is enough to make you want to drink more which isn't helpful. Reach out to someone if you need help.

1 Posted Thu 21 Mar 2024 03.57 by ReeSee
Hello 👋🏽 I'm ReeSee, and I struggle with scalp psoriasis.

Hey Brian, good for you being able to be real with yourself!! I like to drink here n there, but it doesn't seem to have any affect on my psoriasis at all. The only habit I noticed that triggered it more was my eating habits.... I'm a big snacker and love to eat all the wrong foods. When I cut down a bit on bad diet and ate some fruits n veggies I definitely saw a decrease and less severity on flare ups. I use this amazing oil I keep telling everyone about on my scalp (I had large flaky insanely itchy scalp) and on my skin and it's been life changing. If I'm consistent with it (went on week long business trip without it and nearly cried) it'll keep the embarrassing dandruff and flakes away and calm the itching. The name of it is Bourgeois Organics Extra Strength. Good luck to your journey and I hope this helps!!

Posted Thu 21 Mar 2024 08.44 by Annette

Sorry, the thumbs down on above post was accidental and I can't seem to remove it. I have no knowledge of the product mentioned...good or bad.

To take part, sign in or register with us