Perimenopause and Psoriasis onset

Posted Wed 30 Aug 2023 19.38 by amandafirth75

Hello! I'm new here and I'm so glad to have found this forum! I'm 47 and my Psoriasis started 18 months ago, although only diagnosed a week ago. It's been a long and painful journey, with more ointments and cream than I care to remember! I'm clearly at the age where I'm perimenopausal - does anyone else have experience of late onset Psoriasis brought on by this? I'm now on methotrexate - 2nd dose tonight!

Posted Wed 30 Aug 2023 22.19 by steph

Hi, Im 49 ,my story is slightly different to yours as my p started age 17 but I easily managed it for years.,However at age 46 It went crazy where I could not manage it, Im also peri menopausal ( probably past couple of years, but I don't have sweats just missed periods randomly, All I can say is the the older I get the worse it seems to get so whether this is changing in my hormones I don't know. Also If you have only been diagnosed a week and they have put you on methotrexate im very surprised!! Usually they try the less aggressive route first like creams and uvb . Steph

Posted Thu 31 Aug 2023 01.25 by New2This

Yes. I'm 53 and in my second year of coping

Posted Thu 31 Aug 2023 01.44 by New2This

Hi. Usually they start you off with corticosteroids and will typically ask for a 4 week review. To check on your position. No No from me. Dermatologist appointment should be the way forward. I'm in my second year and doctor's appointments weren't worthwhile in my opinion. But i did get some kind of meds.

Posted Thu 31 Aug 2023 09.26 by amandafirth75

I've been on different treatments for about a year (most recently Estilar) but none of it has touched it. I finally had my referral for the dermatologist who I saw last week. Because it's become so severe and because it's pretty much covering my whole scalp (and in other sensitive places), they have said that light therapy won't work so put me on methotrexate. It was a bit scary!

To take part, sign in or register with us