Help

Posted Thu 7 Sep 2023 20.51 by sian_midget1998

I’ve just came back from a London trip, when I went last year I could manage it. This time I really struggled, I was in a lot of pain to the point I could not physically walk. I’ve put off having a wheelchair, as I feel embarrassed and like my condition is winning. I’m 25 years old, I don’t know why I feel so embarrassed. I think a big part is how people judge young people in a wheelchair, when people have seen me able to do certain things where as now my condition has worsen over a year and only getting worse I’m gonna be judge and discriminated against. Instead of going out I tend to shut myself away, I just want people advice. I don’t normally care what people will have to say but with my condition it really does matter to me what people think of me. I just feel stuck, cause I know it’s what I need to do but I just have weird emotions towards it.

Posted Fri 8 Sep 2023 07.27 by Billy bass

Its a terrible situation your in,its not your fault you have this illness and how it affects your mental health, thinking that people will look down at you because of your illness is bad,take control of your illness tell people what your going through,tell them about psoriasis and what it does to you and your body,join local groups ect,keep up a social life friends,social media groups on psoriasis,this site ect,but dont give up seek medical advice get help its out there for you" keep positive take control dont let it control you,ive been there myself and things do get better ! make it a quest for yourself and others in your situation for more understanding+treatment for this illness. I wish you well in all you do' dont shut yourselfaway"

Posted Fri 19 Jan 2024 02.42 by ellenmn (edited Fri 19 Jan 2024 03.40 by ellenmn)

I’m sorry you’ve been suffering so much and on top of that, worried about how others view you. I’m hoping you’re feeling a bit better since writing your post. Being stigmatized by others is a real thing, but self-stigmatization leads to even more suffering. It’s important to surround yourself, (even virtually), with people who foster your sense of self-acceptance. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can help you recalibrate your thinking to be more accurate about difficult situations and thereby improve one’s emotional health. There are a lot of CBT self-help books too.

To take part, sign in or register with us