Concerned about losing fingernails

Posted Thu 23 Nov 2023 15.05 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

Alongside my plaque and palmoplantar pustular psoriasis I've also got some nail involvement - specifically thumb and index finger of each hand. I'm close to losing the nail on the left hand and I'm wondering what that's like when it happens. It was infected recently and cleared up with course of flucloxacilin. Definitely not fungal as I had a 6-week course of antifungal tablets. It's thick, discoloured, and lifting off the bed which meant when I caught it last week it lifted about halfway and bled around the sides. Still attached and not showing signs of departing entirely but have to feel its only a matter of time. The thumbs themselves are heavily psoriatic - red and peeling scale constantly, I wear cotton gloves 24/7 to protect them - and mostly to avoid catching the nails. Thumbs are pink down to the knuckle and then the normal colour of the rest of my hand. I've got good quality podiatry nail nippers and a very diligent and gentle nurse (my partner) - should I get her to trim the raised ends? My consultant has just recommended a 6 week course of Enstillar once per day for it - I already use this for plaques on my back. If I do lose the nail how painful is is going to be? Does the bed desensitize after a few days? Should I splint/wrap it? (not sticky tape obviously!).

Posted Thu 23 Nov 2023 16.41 by Mandy

I lost all my finger nails and most of my toenails last year when I was hospitalised with Erythredermic psoriasis. They weren't too painful when they finally came off and the good news is they've grown back longer and stronger. Just be patient you will get there

Posted Thu 23 Nov 2023 21.12 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

Thanks - that's good to hear. Having PPP I'm used to excruciating pain so hopefully I can cope with it. It's all my fault for saying when my feet were so bad "If I can get my feet back I don't mind about the rest" :)

To take part, sign in or register with us