Calcipotriol scalp solution

Posted Tue 12 Dec 2023 15.28 by Robert Davis

Hi. I note that Sandoz reports the discontinuation of Calcipotriol Scalp Lotion, says this site. Is that the same thing as the (rather thin liquid) Scalp Solution? I've found it pretty helpful, not just on my scalp but notably on my fingernails. I'd love something that can do something about my nails, now one of the most unpleasant sites I have it. Tough of course because you can't really leave fingertips alone for long.

Posted Wed 13 Dec 2023 14.40 by Robert Davis

Just to say - I've got dermatological doctors and nurses interested in any reply to this one!

Posted Wed 13 Dec 2023 20.45 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Hi Robert, I would suggest that you contact Sandoz directly to clarify what you need to know, using the number provided by the Psoriasis Association in the note about the Scalp Lotion being discontinued. " . . . you can contact Sandoz Customer Services on 0127 669 8607 for further details."

Posted Sat 16 Dec 2023 14.14 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

This may help - Enstillar can also be used as a scalp solution, it contains Calicipotriol.

Posted Sat 16 Dec 2023 22.39 by Robert Davis

Thank you - that's helpful.

Posted Sun 17 Dec 2023 13.46 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Enstillar is an alternative preparation of Dovobet, and contains a steroid as well as Calcipotriol. It is a very effective treatment according to many users.

Posted Sun 17 Dec 2023 13.59 by Robert Davis

Helpful as well. Around 9 years ago I finally saw a dermatologist - I'm 49 and had it all my life - and one of the aims was to take me off steroids. I liked the distinctiveness of the Sandoz scalp solution as something to add as an adjunct to other treatments, especially as something to help my nails. I'm now thinking Enstillar is not the answer but don't know if there's another answer if the scalp solution is off the market. I suppose it's fundamentally a way to deliver vitamin D locally.

Posted Tue 19 Dec 2023 13.59 by Robert Davis

Because I know people have been following this avidly - what has been suggested for me instead is Curatoderm ointment. Not quite like-for-like (I think I'm just going to have to get my fingernails right into the therapeutic shampoo) but interesting. I think it's a new medication - don't know if anyone has any experiences with it to report?

Posted Sat 23 Dec 2023 11.00 by Polly

I don't think Curatoderm ointment is new as I used it some years ago - I remember it having some problem with the regulator which was resolved. I was happy with it, but it is an ointment so a nuisance in the hair as it has to be washed out.

Posted Sun 17 Mar 2024 12.32 by Robert Davis

Hi again. I have found a likely cause behind the discontinuation of calcipotriol scalp solution, which is that ultimate parent company Novartis spun off Sandoz, which was their generics wing, in October. I turned down Betacap but actually I'm finding that my psoriasis is regaining some of the lost ground. I shall mull over which treatment is best as I'm feeling the loss of the calcipotriol.

To take part, sign in or register with us