Metronidazole - improvement in symptoms?

Posted Mon 22 Jan 2024 14.57 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

Wondering - if you have psoriatic arthritis and have also happened to have a course of metronidazole (often used for gut infections and in maintenance of Crohn's or ulcerative colitis) have you seen an improvement in your symptoms whilst on it? For someone I know it reduces their joint inflammation so I wonder if there's a link - not least because some of "our" biologics are also used for UV/Crohn's.

Posted Mon 5 Feb 2024 11.50 by Acrazydoglady (edited Mon 5 Feb 2024 14.21 by Acrazydoglady)

@kiloran - I have zero medical knowhow - as I'm new to this area, I've read articles that actually reflect that psoriasis is closely linked with other autoimmune issues like rheumatoid arthritis & Crohns etc - why? because 70-80% of our immune cells are in the gut! I'm purely speaking from personal experience here, as I feel if you get it via a kind of 'allergy triggering' reaction (as I cannot comment about genetic disposition as psoriasis doesn't run in my family) I am soo convinced this makes you more open to developing other autoimmune issues, as my derm has always asked about my heel pain & other PsA signs at every appointment. When most consultants don't usually ask about things outside their area of expertise do they?! For example, have a read of this article I stumbled across - I was actually researching articles about how we need to fix our guts & being a guinea pig vs not being a mouse is the gut research of the future.. a more personal than one size fits all natural solution? It seems similar to your type of psoriasis remembering it's from 2012 & is flipping fabulous to me & reflects what I've been trying to say... it mentions 'chronic allergic' & how it's very much dependent on the INDIVIDUAL's gut health & to me offers the perfect explanation that this cannot be a mouse-led solution - & why us human guinea pigs on here are having such differing reactions!! Plus what if it's only psoriasis we can actually influence - I find it very thought provoking!! You might need X,Y,Z and I need A,B,X! What rings out from all my probiotic research is how much we need to be adding a variety of fermented foods in our diets above all else! e.g. I make my own as so much cheaper... https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271266760_Pustular_psoriasis_responding_to_Probiotics_-_a_new_insight You've mentioned elsewhere about turmeric, ginger, and garlic supplements - all polyphenols - my ellagic acid - polyphenol - fermented foods - polyphenol there's a research opp on here for plaque sufferers following the med diet - polyphenols! For example - all fab food for thought!! Especially as I've never done a polyphenol guinea pig experiment - ha ha!! So it's finding the right combination that works for you! Sorry I've now gone soo off tangent, as I won't lie I get so excited about natural solutions - I do get carried away.....

To take part, sign in or register with us