My experience with inverse psoriasis

Posted Mon 26 Feb 2024 16.38 by Chris87

Just before christmas last year I noticed I got red excema looking spots around the foreskin and glans. At the same time I got a round spot under my armpit. I initially thought it was ringworm, but after consulting with a dermatologist she thought it was psoriasis. My father had psoriasis all his life, so that was the most probable cause. I guess the cold, dry weather combined with poor sleep and stress where the triggers. I got prescribed locoid cream which I still use morning and evening. I find that it helps. The problem is while trying gradually taper off the psoriasis came back in full force. I don't have any itch, but the skin feels tender, sore and I have a bothersome light burning in my groin. Anyone out there with a similar experience? What did finally help you? This has been going on for over 2 months now. The symptoms seems to go up and down, so it seems to be unpredictable. I've read that you shouldn't use steroids over time. How long did your flare-ups last? I also have Elidel cream. Do anyone of you have any experience with this? Thanks in advance for any answers. I pray that this thing will soon go into remission. Sorry for my english btw. I'm norwegian.

Posted Wed 28 Feb 2024 05.26 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I do not know either of those treatments, but what worked well for me was Trimovate in UK.

Posted Thu 25 Apr 2024 21.05 by GeorgeP

Hiya there, do you still have symptoms? I have suffered from inverse psoriasis since my early twenties (now 42), and I have experience with different types of treatment.

Posted Sat 27 Apr 2024 14.11 by Chris87

Hey, Thanks for your reply. I found that my symptoms are less than in the winter where it was more pain. Now it's just a slight uncomfortable sore feeling throughout the day. I currently only use a cream for sore skin. I think its called Cicaplast Baume B5 which was recommended by my dermatologist. I sleep nude which helps. The nighttime is the only period when i feel almost nothing, When my skin is not covered in fabrics and where there is no friction. What has helped the best in your experience?

Posted Sat 27 Apr 2024 22.41 by GeorgeP

Hiya So, I have tried two treatments, depending on the severity of the symptoms. When the symptoms are mild, like you describe, I use two different ointments. I use an antifungal ointment twice a day, in the morning and afternoon. The ointment contains FLUPREDNIDENE and MICONAZOLE NITRATE. This is because the skin area is prone to infection with inverse psoriasis. Before bed, I use Calcipotriol ointment, which is a type of vitamin D. Depending on where you live, you either need a prescription or not. For example, in Greece, where I lived, I could buy them over the counter, and they were cheap. I must have gone through dozens of those. Now, depending on your symptoms, you may have a wet sore on your skin. You really need to keep them dry. I have found that Eosin solution is very good for that, but keep in mind that it makes a mess; it dyes the skin and the clothes. But it keeps the skin dry and disinfects it. Personal hygiene is difficult but also necessary. During bad flare-ups, I also use betadine soap to disinfect. Now when the symptoms are severe, I use Enstilar foam in the morning, twice a day (morning/night) PREDNISOLONE SODIUM PHOSPHATE, afternoon anticort cream and in the evening a mixture of antifungal ointments and a pill of antihistamines for the itching. Now, this treatment needs prescription medication. You can't get them over the counter. A few practical things that I found to help. Get loose clothes and underwear. Pure cotton works well. Sleeping nude is mandatory, as you have found. During the summer, try to swim in the sea, naked whenever possible, and sunbathe naked. Also, stress management is very important; one of the most common triggers, at least for me, is stress. Although I try to manage it (working out and walking with my dog), sometimes it can't be helped. Modern life is a nightmare. Try to find stuff that helps you blow some steam. I hope this helps. It is difficult and demoralising to feel uncomfortable throughout the day. Keep trying, and most importantly, sometimes you have to stick to the treatment for more than two weeks to see any results. George

Posted Sun 28 Apr 2024 10.06 by Chris87

Thanks for your reply, Is any of the ointments OTC, or is it all prescription? Right now I have something called locoid, which is a medium strength steroid, and Elidel (pimecrolimus) which is a calcineurin inhibitor. I don't wanna use neither long time beacuse of the potential harmful long time effects. I've heard that steroid use can cause thin skinning, and the Elidel can slightly increase the possibility for skin cancer in long term use. Can sun have a positive effect on inverse psoriasis also, even though you're not exposing your bare skin on your genitals? The warm temperature? Vit D3? I live in Norway and in the winter months, when it's cold, dark, and dry weather having skin disorders and sensitive skin is a nightmare. Thanks for your tips. I also try to stress mange as good as possible, but I agree with you that modern life doesn't make it easy. I do yoga, and try to excercise moderately. I wonder about if there is something in my diet my body reacts to. I have heard about gluten as a potential trigger. Maybe i will look into inflammatory foods. I would love to know what can cause this. I like to have control, and psoriasis is notorously unpredictable. That is not a good combo. I will try to use my energy for the things I can control.

Posted Sun 28 Apr 2024 10.45 by GeorgeP

Good morning I have never used Elidel, so I don't know much, but as far as steroids, I feel that you shouldn't worry much. As inverse psoriasis has flare-ups and then goes dormant, you don't really fear any skin thinning. Also, thinning occurs when the skin is tightly bandaged while steroids are applied, which, in our case, is not possible anyway. Now, the availability of calciotriol ointment depends on the country. In Greece, where I get my supply, it is OTC and very cheap, something like 7 Euros. The name of the ointment is Cipocal, and it works really well but extremely slowly. I found that steroid cream works faster on the symptoms. Here in the UK, where I now live, it is prescription only. Now, regarding sunbathing and swimming in the sea. My dermatologist told me that, from personal experience, the sea and the sun suppress the symptoms and, in my case, suppress them long into winter. I am also a nudist, so my groin was exposed to the sun and wind. I have also found that Epsom salts or any other natural hot spring water soothes my skin. Yoga is great for stress management. Also, I think that alcohol is a big trigger regarding food. Keep up the good fight!

Posted Sun 28 Apr 2024 11.10 by Chris87

Again, thanks for your responses. I find it helpful hearing from someone who has experiences dealing with this frustrating condition. I think you're right about me worrying too much about consequences which is very unlikely. I also think the steroid cream is not strong enough to cause anything worrysome. Right now it is tempting becoming a nudist in a hot, humid country all year around, lol. Regarding epsom salts and spring water. Where do you usually get those? How long do you have remission, and how often do you experience flares? How serious do your IP get? Right now mine seems quite calm, but in the winter I experienced very dry, red skin, chafing all over glans and foreskin, painful skin cracks and some blisters (from infection?) Not fun. I will try to bathe more this summer. I usually dont go bathing much, but at least now I have a reason to. Also, do you occasionally experience testicular pain? I have noticed a tender feeling down there which come and goes. Maybe semen building up? I have masturbated less when the skin is not good, naturally enough.

To take part, sign in or register with us