Alternatives to calcipotriol scalp solution

Posted Wed 28 Feb 2024 17.01 by Apocalexnow

Hi everyone! I've got scalp psoriasis, I've had it for a few years and it's been manageable with a combination of calcipotriol scalp solution and having pretty short hair. I decided to grow my hair around the same time that calcipotriol scalp stopped being available and now my scalp is terrible and I've switched back to using steroids daily, which I'd like to reduce if I can. Is anyone else aware of a vitamin D topical that's suitable for the scalp? I have something that's a mix of steroids and vitamin D but it makes my hair really greasy and awful looking. Everything else I can find that's vitamin D only seems to be ointments which I imagine will be similarly greasy and awful in my hair. Any information would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

Posted Thu 29 Feb 2024 08.30 by Val

Im looking for something like this as well

Posted Thu 29 Feb 2024 19.00 by mc247rainbow

Hi Val! I have battled with Psoriasis on and off for quite a few years and like you I have had to cope with scalp psoriasis. I have tried a range of options - prescribed or over the counter and I have found T/gel shampoo has works better than most If I stick to the instructions. However, you may need to use a good light weight conditioner on mid to ends of hair afterwards. Stick with it.. When I was younger I visited a tricologist who prescribe a clear tar lotion to apply to the scalp. It worked well but the whole house did smell of tar. Philip Kingsley 'Density' shampoo and conditioner is good for clearing flakes fron the scalp . Good Luck Dawntreadem

Posted Thu 29 Feb 2024 21.19 by Val

Thank you so much for the feed back This morning I washed my hair with “poly tar “ shampoo the smell reminds me of the coal tar my mother used to use years ago for her psoriasis, we do t seem to have come very far in quest for a cure ! I shall certainly give T Gel a try. Thanks again Val

Posted Mon 4 Mar 2024 08.36 by anilkrbr

Hi, I have scalp psoriasis..........i use fenugreek seed paste, we can make it at home. if you want to try............. Powder fenugreek seeds, soak the powder (1-2 spoons) in water for 3-4 hours. Apply on it hair for 30 min or more (moisture the hair with water every 10 min) and wash your hair.

Posted Mon 4 Mar 2024 08.53 by Val

thank you, will certainly give that a try ! Val

Posted Sat 16 Mar 2024 11.15 by vixclix

I wouldn't mix it with prescribed meds but in between flare ups when my scalp starts to deteriorate I find Body Shop Ginger scalp serum very soothing

Posted Sat 16 Mar 2024 13.25 by Val

Does it stop the irritation? My main problem at the moment!

Posted Sun 17 Mar 2024 12.27 by Robert Davis

Hi. I started a forum with the same topic. I have discovered that Novartis spun off Sandoz, its generics wing, around October when the calcipotriol was discontinued. I was with a dermatologist for a while, who prescribed me lots of stuff including the calcipotriol. I am also on Capasal, which has the same active ingredient (salicylic acid) as the T-Gel, which I also use in rotation. I also use Ketaconazole, which is a pink shampoo in various forms including something delightfully called Dandrazol. T-Gel or Capasal and Ketaconazole you both leave in for 10 minutes, Ketaconazole actually from dry, before wetting the hair. When I referred this to my GP he suggested Betacap. I rejected it as it's a steroid but I'm wondering if actually it's worth biting that bullet as a least-worst.

Posted Sun 17 Mar 2024 15.07 by Val

I have had Betacap and it worked brilliantly for a long time, now it has no affect for me ! I am using currently using poly tar and applying that to dry hair. It has made a difference to the build up but not to the irritation

Posted Sun 17 Mar 2024 15.18 by Robert Davis

That's interesting; also recommended to me on the other forum was Enstillar. Curatoderm wqs recommended by a dermatological nurse. I used Polytar for a while; I think something along the lines of the T-Gel.

Posted Sun 17 Mar 2024 19.21 by Val

I have Enstillar for my skin did not know about Enstillar scalp treatment I might ask my Doctor for it

Posted Thu 21 Mar 2024 04.07 by ReeSee
Hello 👋🏽 I'm ReeSee, and I struggle with scalp psoriasis.

Hello fellow scalp psoriasis warrior :-) I use this amazing mega packed herbal product called Bourgeois Organics Extra Strength and it's been so life changing for me. Found it on Etsy during covid times. Been using this stuff for years. I used to be ashamed to have a part in my hair because of the flaking but this stuff works!! I bought a bottle for my friends baby boy's eczema and it worked for him too! Calms itchiness and clears the flakes. I feel semi-normal again. You should definitely try it. Good luck to you!!

Posted Thu 21 Mar 2024 07.10 by Val (edited Thu 21 Mar 2024 07.59 by Val)

Thank you I shall get some ! I put Enstillar on my scalp last night and the irritation this morning is worse than ever. I think I’m becoming allergic to some of the ingredients, although it still works on my skin.. I would love to be able to wear dark coloured clothes again! Thanks for the info.

Posted Thu 21 Mar 2024 08.02 by Val

Sadly I have been unable to find a supply of this product. Esty no longer has it available for uk. Any ideas ReeSee ?

Posted Fri 22 Mar 2024 15.00 by ReeSee
Hello 👋🏽 I'm ReeSee, and I struggle with scalp psoriasis.

Hey Val, Yea I've always been able to order on Etsy, I'm in the US. They have a website now, it looks like they're shipping to UK from there. Mybobottle.com. I live by this stuff. I love this company, I sent them a dm and they replied quickly. I hope you're able to get it very soon!!

Posted Fri 22 Mar 2024 15.38 by Val

Thank you for replying and for the information x

To take part, sign in or register with us