Appointment with Dermatologist.

Posted Sun 21 Aug 2016 17.06 by Katie87

Hello fellow psoriasis worries. I'm new here but an old hat at living with this condition. I'm 28 and have suffered with psoriasis since my teens. I've recently (start of year) come out with a bad case, all over my body. I went to see my doctor who has referred me to a dermatologist. My appointment is 30th August, and this is my first time seeing one. I'm just wondering, how bad does my psoriasis have to be before I can get help, other than home treatment? I bought a hand lamp for £150 but only use it on my hands, arms and ears as it talks 2 hours just to do that. I just want it gone. I don't mind if I have a spot here and there, I just don't want it this bad anymore. It's such a hindurence. I'm sorry for the essay. Thank you for take the time to read this.

Posted Mon 22 Aug 2016 10.51 by markd

Hi Katie, I'm also new on the forums. Welcome to us! I'm in a similar position to you,.. I've had psoriasis since I was about 15 (now 30) and about 2 years ago I got fed up with it and got a GP referral to the dermatologist. Since then I've had two courses of UVB treatment at the hospital, which did work quite well, It didn't clear my skin, but it was the best it had been for years. For me, the benefits only last a couple of months and then it is back to its' worst, so I don't see it as a long-term solution. It can also be quite inconvenient going to the hospital 2-3 times for 6-8 weeks. Getting the UV treatment wasn't difficult for me, I was referred for the treatment after my first visit to the dermatologist. I guess it probably varies quite a lot regionally and will be at the discretion of the consultant. After my last visit, my dermatologist has recommended that I go on to Methotrexate, but I'm not keen on the idea so I'm really trying hard on the diet route. Have you ever tried or considered changing your diet ? I hope this helps in any way

Posted Wed 24 Aug 2016 15.11 by twig

Hi What dietary changes have you made and has it helped? Looking for anything that will rid me of this condition!

Posted Wed 7 Sep 2016 19.36 by markd

Hi twig, I bought a book you may have heard of by Dr John Pagano - called "Healing Psoriasis - The Natural Alternative". I started following his recommendations but I only lasted about a month because I found it very difficult to stick to! One thing I did notice though is that the Pagano diet is largely a gluten free diet and I had read other things online about gluten being a psoriasis trigger, so I'm currently trying to be gluten free. I've only been doing it for about a month and have noticed a lot less itching, my scales look less red but they are still there, no dramatic improvement so far but I'm going to give it at least 3 months before I judge it. I also tried one of Jason Vale's juicemaster programmes, but I couldn't hack it and only lasted a day - I have no willpower! I swear I was hallucinating about pizza! Have you heard of a guy called Jon Maddison? (www.psoriasisbuddy.com) He has lots of dietary advice to give and has cleared his psoriasis by sticking to a vegan diet (and mostly eating raw food where possible). Personally, I don't want to go that extreme just yet. I'd rather re-try the Pagano diet before I try vegan! I like meat and I like alcohol, oh and I also like spicy food which apparently is one to avoid :'( I'm fairly sure* that if I went 100% vegan, raw food for 3-6 months I would be completely healed of psoriasis, but it's a big commitment to change your diet that much and you've got to weigh up the pros and cons of the massive lifestyle change vs. an annoying 'skin' condition. *I'm not sure at all actually, but I have faith! My plan is to stick to gluten free for a while and if it doesn't work then start cutting more things out, possibly dairy next, or alcohol, or sugar. The sooner health professionals start treating the condition rather than the symptoms, the better!

Posted Wed 7 Sep 2016 21.28 by Dancediva7

Hi Katie I'm new to this too, I've had psoriasis for nearly 30 year's now and it is frustrating trying to find something that keeps it at bay for a while. I've also had uv treatment, but it was inconvenient for me & working. I do however use a sunbed, I know the risks and the dermatologist doesn't like it, but it works for me, I may go 1 or 2 times a week for no longer than 10 minutes each time, but it clears up quickly. Everything has side effects these days! I've just been offered drugs that can trigger hair loss, cancer or kidney problems, so I am not sure about anything really. All the best!

Posted Fri 16 Sep 2016 12.54 by skroez
Everyday life, from my skin to my joints and muscles. weight gain from meds. water retention in legs. Tiredness, Self esteem, and anxiety.

Hi, I've just been seen by a derm, at Cardiff Yesterday she recommended that I go everyday to have creams and lotions put on. I'm Thankful for the help but, I live far from the Hospital and a taxi there and back costs over 30 pounds. I have to go by taxi everywhere as My joints are bad due to The arthritic P. It makes me so tired too, that I become sleepy. Like yesterday I was out for 3 hours I came home and slept most of the afternoon. So fair play to them, they organized an ambulance for me, but each day its different times, Some days I cant go due to things I have to do in my personal life., doctors, shopping, etc and I'm so tired some days I can't move. My treatment also is cream based where they put cream all over me, wait an hour, shower it off then do it again, and so over, Thing is I've had all the creams over the years including at the same hospital some years back. as long has I've had psoriasis, which is 20 years, since my teens, I find they make my skin thin and raw, then it bleeds, then comes back much worse. I asked to go on a sunbed at some place local to me, he told me no due to my skin and his customers, I told him they cant catch it, but it's the usual stigma you have. Anyway, I'd like to go on meds, Sorry for the moaning,I know I'm lucky to have treatment. But I've had it up to here with this diease. its stopped me doing so many things I enjoyed with the pain, joints, I'm also too shy to find a partner with my skin, and my joints (I need a walking stick) have become worse over the years. Mentally I still feel younger, and look younger a few people have said to me when they've found out my age (43) lol, (turns red) but physically I feel 80. My treatment starts Monday, but I'm not seeing my derm again to December. So I'm not sure if I've got to go to the hospital as many days as now? And waiting for the Rheumatologists appointment too. Sorry for the down beat message, I'm just tired mentally and physically of this illness. thank you

To take part, sign in or register with us