Link between psoriasis and sleep apnea

Posted Wed 20 Mar 2024 14.20 by TinaT

I've had quite extensive psoriasis for the last 8yrs. Creams etc don’t seem to help. Just after Christmas I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and started CPAP treatment. From day 1 of this my psoriasis started clearing up. Monday I had a dermatology appointment and showed my consultant. He said he knew there could be a link between the two. When I investigated for myself, there have been several studies done on this and the recommendations were to screen people with psoriasis for sleep apnea. In all my years of treatment, this has never been mentioned! Please may I suggest that if you have psoriasis and sleep problems or feel constantly tired that you take the Epworth Scale test for yourself and if your score recommends, you contact your GP and ask to be tested for sleep apnea. Honestly this has been a complete game changer for me.

Posted Wed 20 Mar 2024 19.03 by SheilaM

Never heard of this but in middle of a chronic flare up at minute always tired and gone deaf and they think I have psoriasis in my ears. Will try the epworth scale test

Posted Wed 20 Mar 2024 20.29 by TinaT

Yes Sheila please do. Honestly I can’t believe the change.. I get psoriasis in my ears too and it’s awful I know. Really hope you can get some relief soon

Posted Thu 21 Mar 2024 19.14 by SheilaM

Gp has now contacted ENT will be interesting to see if anything comes of this 😂

Posted Thu 21 Mar 2024 21.51 by TinaT

I hope it does. ENT hoovered out mine, applied some antibiotics deep and gave me some drops. It worked and thankfully hasn’t come back. It’s surprising how much having blocked ears affects your mood and everything. Good luck

Posted Fri 22 Mar 2024 17.54 by SheilaM

Thankyou for that it sounds really encouraging , shall keep my fingers crossed

Posted Fri 29 Mar 2024 12.27 by mt382

I would imagine only in so far as there is a link between psoriasis, obesity and asthma, all of which will contribute to obstructive apnoea.

To take part, sign in or register with us