UVB phototherapy treatment during work.

Posted Fri 23 Sep 2016 00.33 by IALONDON
I have had psoriasis for the best part of 14 years; it initially started on my elbow and kneecaps and after two years it eventually spread a

Hi, I have had psoriasis for over 15 years. Recently I have had a major flare up and the psoriasis are appearing on parts of my body that I had never had before. I would estimate that the psoriasis covers 10-15% of my body. I believe my best course of action is too seek UVB photpharphy however I would like to know what sort of rights do I have to take time off from work to attend my treatment session. ( 3 days a week for 8 weeks) I will most likely require half a day off for each session. (Travel time is extremely long) I work for the local authority and I will be seeking advise from the occupational health unit team as to what can be done to help reduce my psoriasis, but I would like some advice from People that may have found them self in a similar situation is it possible to take that amount of time off without it affecting your employment?

Posted Thu 29 Sep 2016 20.14 by delhome

My boss has been very understanding with me. i have an appointment in 6-8 weeks time to start this. Until i start i have told her and even showed her how bad mine has become. She is willing to change my days off. one of which i am off anyway. the other i asked if i was late for work or had to leave early, could i use my holiday pay? she said that was fine. Take in your hospital letters to show your employer and talk to them about it. Thats all i can suggest to you. Hope it all goes ok for you

Posted Sun 2 Oct 2016 22.17 by obi1138
Hey guys,long time sufferer,even longer drum and metal lover!hoping to meet,chat and find fellow afflicteds....let's stick together!

Employers can't cause issue when a doctor's note,or letter,or appointments slip is given,there are legalities that might involve looking at terms of employment but regardless of lengthy treatments like this,an employer has to oblige them.the best course of action is always a frank conversation first explaining the sensitivity of it and take it from there..x

Posted Sun 13 Nov 2016 20.43 by LeoM

I found a light I could use at home. The company that sells them will give you a great deal if you don't have insurance. I was going 3 times a week but being able to do it at home is a lifesaver.

Posted Mon 14 Nov 2016 20.11 by delhome

I am not in a position to purchase any light therapy equipment as my partner is out of work and my daughter has just started a job. Have still not a had a letter for an appointment. Now the weather has got colder my ps has flared up again. Cant win x

Posted Thu 17 Nov 2016 20.43 by BobbyJean
I love heavy metal xx

Dear IALONDON, You will probably find that your dermatology department is VERY flexable. They have very early appointment and very late appointments. If you are new to this the first session lasts only seconds building up to a max of about 10 - 15 mins. I found that you could book your next appointment on the day of your last which was very helpful. That's my story but I am sure that because you work for a local authority you will be well within your rights to get time off. By the way my treatment was very successful and I hope yours is also.

To take part, sign in or register with us