Dark Area

Posted Tue 4 Oct 2016 14.43 by BigG

Hi. I am very newly diagnosed and suffer with Psoriasis on my elbows. Doctor has prescribed Dithro-Cream which you have to wash of within an hour. I then moisturise, however I have noticed around the area the skin is very dark. Is this normal?

Posted Tue 4 Oct 2016 14.54 by Andy
Psoriasis for 35 years and Psoriatic Arthritis for 15 years.

Dithro Cream will often stain clothes, bed linen and skin. It tends to fade away after a week or two. But clothes, furniture and bed linen can be permanently stained. So it's best to wear old clothes that you don't mind being stained. Sunshine on the affected areas sometimes helps it to fade. Dithro cream can be a messy treatment but normal quite good for small areas of psoriasis. Occassionally you can give a local burning sensation. So only apply to affected area. White paraffin on good skin around area can protect it from Dithro Cream. The best method I've have found is to apply to affected area very carefully. Wash your hands well after or use a something to apply it. What strength is it?

Posted Tue 4 Oct 2016 15.14 by BigG

Hi Andy, Many thanks for your response and information. The strength of the Dithro-Cream is Dithranol 0.1% w/w. 1 doctor did say to use coconut oil on the affected area as well. I do find myself getting very conscious of this now as I mainly wear short sleeve t-shirts in my own time, but at work long sleeve shirts. Can you suggest a better form of treatment that is readily available or would it always be doctor prescription. Sorry to bombard but this is all new to me.

Posted Tue 4 Oct 2016 15.51 by Andy

Hi. The Dithranol your on is a low strength one. There isn't much apart from moisturiser creams that you can buy over the counter. There are a few so called wonder creams online. But I would be careful especially with the chinese herbal ones. The dithranol is certainly worth a try. You could always wrap the area in a gauze bandage. But in my 40 years with the condition any sunshine you can get on it will help. But try not to let the area dry out. A simple moisturiser is good thing to apply a couple of times a day. I'm surprised your Doctor chose Dithranol to start with. Over counter from Boots is Hc45 which is a mild Hydrocortisone cream used for stings and bites. Diprobase is a good emollient for hydrating the area and keeping it moisturised. But I would not used the Hc45 with the Dithranol. It really depends how big the affected area is.

Posted Tue 4 Oct 2016 15.56 by Andy

Dovonex and Dovobet are two others that your Doctor could prescribe and you try. But they need to be used sparingly and for probably now more than 4 weeks. I've found them very good but prolonged use can cause thinning of the skin.

Posted Tue 4 Oct 2016 17.01 by BigG

Hi Andy, Wow thank you very much for your time and all this information. I will look into some of your suggestions. My biggest area is right on my left elbow and is about 4" in diameter. Once again many thanks.

Posted Tue 4 Oct 2016 17.13 by Andy

Hi Glad I could help. Just be careful with presciption ointments and creams over joints. It's the last place you want any skin thinning to occur. If you continue with the Dithranol let me know how you get on with it. I forget to mention if you apply Dithranol with your fingers sometimes it will stain those too. I use to apply it with a wooden lollipop stick or even the back of a old spoon. Enjoy your week.

To take part, sign in or register with us