Hey all im new!!

Posted Wed 12 Oct 2016 23.14 by lilldafreak

Hi everyone! My names Lauren im 29 and have had psoriasis for four years now. my knees and elbows are my worse affected areas but im covered all over , recently i have experienced painful joints and i have an appointment on tuesday to be tested for psoriatic arthritis . would love to chat to people in the same boat as me :D

Posted Thu 13 Oct 2016 12.24 by Andy
Psoriasis for 35 years and Psoriatic Arthritis for 15 years.

Hi Lauren My name is Andy and I'm 50 and had psoriasis for 35 years and psoriatic arthritis for 15 years. So I guess I'm not in the same boat just another older boat that has been floating around a lot longer. But I've had a lot of different treatments for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. If you have any questions about the conditions and their various treatments I might be able to offer some help. Andy

Posted Fri 14 Oct 2016 22.06 by Karl
Former chef,and a long sufferer of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis

Hi Lauren I've had psoriasis for 27 yrs and psoriatic arthritis for 25 yrs. Like andy ive been on lots of treatments for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. I have it pretty bad im covered head to toe and many of my joints are affected,resulting in both my knees being replaced. And both elbows are permanently bent and feet are badly affected. If i can help with advice on treatments or if you just wanna chat. Karl.

Posted Sat 15 Oct 2016 12.41 by Kirstie Dee
Hi mother of three and have suffered with p for 20years seems to be getting worse since I hit 40.... possible pa

Hi I'm also new and have just joined I am 41 and have been a psoriasis sufferer for approx 20 year. The past two years my psoriasis has been increasingly and now possibly have PA I have tried many topical/steroid cream over the years and now my dermatologist is looking into systemic hope spelt right tablets really worried about side affects and should I just continue using the creams...?

Posted Sat 15 Oct 2016 14.17 by sjp123

Hi I've just joined. I've had psoriasis for ever. It's been really good for sometime but I've noticed suddenly it's erupted I can hardly believe it and I've just come back from Greece. I have now got to put all this ointment in again and this depressed me

Posted Sun 16 Oct 2016 11.50 by Karl

Hi kirstie, I found many of the steriod creams and ointments worked in the beginning but over the years have thinned the skin and massive flare ups inbetween treatments. I have tried systemic like mtx which didn't work for me and i had terrible side effects. Now i use a combination of light thearpy and natural creams from a company called salcura and i find products with dead sea minerals in helps a lot, these products can be expensive but for me its worth it. Also aloe vera helps on my hands which can get really bad from now in autumn through to winter.

Posted Sun 16 Oct 2016 11.57 by Karl

Also kirstie have you considered biologics? They can be good to calm down the psoriasis. It hasnt worked in my case for the skin but it could help you. It has helped eased a little the psoriatic arthritis.

Posted Sun 16 Oct 2016 15.23 by PAsufferer

Hi everyone, I've had psoriasis since I was 15. I've learnt to live with the red blotches, but the itch.Oh my god!!! Driving me insane!

Posted Sun 16 Oct 2016 19.23 by lilldafreak

hi all thanks for all the replies , its nice to be able to talk to people about psoriasis that actually understand. have any of you tried alternative treatments for psoriasis ? i find the creams and treatments from the doctor make mine so much worse i even had a reaction from the shampoo.

Posted Sun 16 Oct 2016 20.18 by sjp123

I went to London to see a lady who wrote a book on it. Using eco washing powder eating liquorice et all. Cost me a fortune for consultation and it was all rubbish but I know of a product from Lush which I've heard is extremely good. I will let you know the name

Posted Sun 16 Oct 2016 21.58 by lilldafreak

about 2 months ago my elbows were really bad, cracking and splitting all the time i couldnt sleep cause of the pain so i started to research and i have started my own little routine and i can honestly say the change in my elbows is crazy even people at work comment on how different they look, although the rest of my body is covered in patches

Posted Mon 17 Oct 2016 15.02 by Karl

Hi all, Its so great too chat with fellow sufferers, ive just signed up again after a long absence and its so good to know im not alone and theres lots of people who have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, i dont really meet anyone in my every day life thats has these conditions only sometimes when i go to hospital. I was wondering if anyone has any great natural treatments for the skin that i may not of tried. I too will not use the steriod creams that most gps dish out just cause its easy for them and cheaper and when the course is finished it comes backs in my case ten times worse.

Posted Mon 17 Oct 2016 15.08 by sjp123

Hi all In told Lush Dream Cream is the business I haven't tried it yet but my friend has and she says its fantastic

Posted Mon 17 Oct 2016 16.05 by lilldafreak

hey so i have this routine like i mentioned and the improvement in my arms in crazy each night a have a long soak in the bath (just water) and remove as much as the skin as possible, then i let them dry naturally . before bed i smother my arms in Aqueous cream and wrap them in cling film to keep the cream in place (i also think the heat helps) i also take multi vitamins and evening primrose and star flower capsules daily (very cheap from asda) and noticed a change after the first week. 2 months down and my elbows are no longer thick crusty and white skin or bright red angry skin but light pink with larger patches of 'normal' skin .

Posted Wed 19 Oct 2016 17.05 by kennethb00

Hi everyone. It doesn't really matter what cream or moisturiser you choose the only way to reduce psoriasis symptoms in the long run is by diet. All long term sufferers come to this conclusion eventually, you have to heal from the inside out.

Posted Wed 19 Oct 2016 18.57 by Katarzynka
Hello my name is Katie, happy mum to 3 boys x

Hello! My name is Katie and I just turned 30. I have been suffering with psoriasis as long as I remember. About 10 years ago it all cleared up (hands, elbows, knees and neck) after using urea based cream which doesn't seem to be available in UK (I'm originally from Poland). But after working in chemical plant psoriasis on my hands came back with a vengeance. Since then I had a handful of different steroid creams and a puva treatment that helped for whole 3 weeks. I've tried some of the natural stuff too, results varied. Has anyone tried (professionally) altering their diet to improve gut health and support immune system? What are your thoughts on natural remedies? Hugs to all x

Posted Wed 19 Oct 2016 20.10 by sjp123

Hi Kate I'm out on this one. I've tried everything under the sun and now I'm told Lush Dream Cream is amazing but I'm devoted to my can of Estilar at moment. Believing in it helps

Posted Wed 19 Oct 2016 22.33 by Idkwhy

Hi guys! I'm only 19 and I've had P since I was 12. It started all over my scalp, which cleared around 2 years ago. However one particular area, on my left connected onto my forehead, has been damaged to the point where no psoriasis is there now but a large patch of red/pink skin. And having dark skin it really stands out. I have been struggling to tie my hair up for the past 2 years because you can see the burn/scar. Also since then I had started to get it behind my ear. Was given steroid treatment from gp just recently which would calm it for a few days, but now it has spread to the back of my neck and I can't even wear clothes that show edge of my shoulders or neck. Also I have been putting off the hairdressers for a year now as even tho my hair is so healthy and scalp too, I feel embarrassed that they will see my P. If I showed you photos you would feel disgusted. Some days are so bad I get so depressed and wish it would all go away. I get upset when I see girls with ponytails, I know it sounds ridiculous but I always was told I had amazing hair throughout my childhood. I remember at school having the longest thickest hair, I'd have every hairstyle you can think of. But now, I have a middle parting so I cover the scar at the front, and just always have it down. I've gotten to the point where even at home, my family don't see my hair up, because I feel embarrassed and upset. I feel like nothing works! I hate going to the derm because they give me silly creams that end up making P worse. I've read somewhere about light therapy. Does anyone know about this? Where I can get it/Try it??? HELP please Btw my name is Nitasha

Posted Wed 19 Oct 2016 23.38 by Katarzynka
Hello my name is Katie, happy mum to 3 boys x

Hi Nitasha, Sorry you find yourself with P in such a awkward place - I used to have it at the back of my neck so having my hair up was never an option. And please don't assume we will feel disgusted with the sight of P. We are all on the same boat here :) As for light therapy you need to as your GP for referral to see dermatologist, he will take it forward. There are two types of photo-therapy UVB and PUVA. It depends on the area and other stuff which i am not to sure about. I had mine done on my hands and I had PUVA. A girl before my session she had PUVA on her scalp. A nurse would apply special gel on her head (she was bald, i guess another medical reason) for 20 minutes before exposing scalp to UVA light. I soaked my hands in psolaren and water solution for 20min before putting them under the light. If you have a bigger area that needs treating then you might go to a cubical like sun shower. Good luck xx

Posted Fri 21 Oct 2016 15.25 by Idkwhy

Thank you so much Katie! I'm glad I can actually talk to people about it, bc even though my friends and family know they can't really relate I've been to derm before and they've given ointments and gels, guess I'll need to see gp again and get referred. Hope for the best! Thanks again xx

To take part, sign in or register with us