Hey all im new!!

Posted Fri 27 Jan 2017 20.25 by Oatcake

Hi there, I have P on my hands and elbows although my hands are far worse. I have tried loads of prescription creams/steroids inc Enstilar foam but nothing has worked. I find the best thing for helping my hands is to wear Nitrile gloves as much as possible and use a natural paraben free moisturiser regually. I also decided to change to a totally plant based vegan diet 3 weeks ago to see if that has any effect on my skin, I will update if it does!. xx

Posted Fri 27 Jan 2017 21.01 by Paul C-L
I am fifty five years old and had psoriasis since I was eleven.

Hi Lauren, I have had Psoriasis since I was 11years old and had it virtually all over. It was a nightmare and it took about three years of treatments etc before it settled down. I started on coal tar based creams etc and ended up on Dermovate Ointment (strong steroid cream) but it worked for a short periods of time so I used it un sparingly and was then told by doctors it thinned the skin and was bad for me but at 14 years old wasn't too concerned so it was rassioned by my doctor whom I thought at the time was a complete bastard but it was good move as I now believe the stress and worry about the condition makes it worse. With temp relief at hand I wasn't so concerned about it because if I had a date or wanted to go out with short sleeves etc I knew I could put the ointment on two days before and then it would clear. I soon found it wasn't coming back so strongly and realised I wasn't using as much ointment also as people got to know me it wasn't so alienating. I therefore stopped worrying about it. By 18 I stopped using the ointment as it had had bad press re skin damage but found salt water, sunlight and not thinking about it all the time worked. I am now 55 years old and have not used a cream/ointment since but use the psoriasis as a flag of my stress and anxiety levels. It tells me when to slow down and is a good marker. I have never had it as bad as back then as try to control it though life style. I use Aveeno skin repair with oats the blue topped cream in a tube; Boots do it make sure it's the blue top not green this gives me relief when sore especially in the awkward places. I also have honey and cider vinegar daily as I was told by doctors I had developed psoriatic arthritis when I was 28yrs in my hands / wrists. However I think he was wrong as have since been diagnosed with mild carpol tunnel!!! Again if I don,t use my hands correctly it plays up. I have also been having Alexander Technique training over the past three years and this has really helped as has shown me the amount of tension I was holding in my body. Releasing this tension helps. Don't believe all that Doctors and Hospitals say I believe psoriasis comes from the inside and its psycho/physical not just physical, I hope this has helped, good luck Paul

Posted Sat 28 Jan 2017 14.47 by avril (edited Sat 28 Jan 2017 14.49 by avril)
140 characters for my biography?! I'm just gonna keep it short and sweet like a tweet. 😏 LIFE WITH PSORIASIS SUCKS.

Hi Everyone, My name is Avril, I'm 19 years old, currently on a gap year before going to university this coming September... And I've been recently diagnosed with both Psoriasis vulgaris & Psoriatic Arthritis on 27th April, 2016. The dermatologist prescribed some: - Synalar Gel (for the scalp) - Dovobet Gel (for the body) - Protopic (for the face... THIS WORKS WONDERS FYI) - Capasal Shampoo (use it three times a week) - QV Cream (used a soap and as a moisturiser... it helps soothes itching) I was then referred to a dermatologist at a hospital for further treatment. I had my first appointment at the hospital on 19th January, 2o17. Almost a year since the referral was sent on the day I was diagnosed. I was prescribed 'Enstillar foam' since Dovobet didn't seem to work to well. I will be seen again after 6 weeks and possibly may undergo phototherapy. Prior to getting those prescriptions, I was using 'Dr. Kaufmann Sulfur Zinc Oxide Soap' which is a 'Medicated Sulfur Soap' a well-known product from my country, Phililppines. It helped quite a lot... it's a life saver. Around mid-February, I started having some itchy scalp which was flaking up but didn't think much of it as it happened whilst I was too busy doing my coursework in the middle of the night; it wasn't until my scalp started to bleed so I told my mum and she booked me an appointment with the GP and I was prescribed some Ketoconazole shampoo... it made it worse. Then I also noticed a red patch below my eye which again didn't think much of it and just assumed it was eczema (since I also had eczema growing up). During my lesson, the patch near my eye peeled off out of the blue and fell on the paper. My friends even saw it. It was so embarrassing. All of the sudden, it started spreading all over my body. My scalp & my face were the worse affected area, as well as my lower back, a few patches on my arms, legs and inner thighs; also on my torso. Towards the end of February I began to feel a pain on my left knee joint and suddenly got worse around March to the point when I woke up in pain in the morning before my alarm, couldn't get up or walk properly. It waw difficult to straighten my leg. My left knee looked like a huge semi-sphere. I went to hospital for emergency because I couldn't take it anymore. The pain, the itchiness. I was initially given the wrong diagnosis and then I went back to GP again and was referred to the dermatologist as he suspected it was psoriasis. I was then referred to the rheumatologist later on. As for psoriatic arthritis, I've been seen by the rheumatologist three times. On my first appointment, the fluid was removed from my knee. I've been off my crutches since then. I will be seeing the rheumatologist again in a few months for a routine check-up. WOAH!!!! Seems like I wrote a damn essay!!!! 😂

Posted Sun 26 Feb 2017 15.44 by Amyj153

Hi I'm Amy. I've had psoriasis for 14 years and this was around the time I was studying for my gcses and I had my belly button pierced that went infected so a combination of the 2 which I feel caused P. I have it scattered in small patches everywhere apart from my face and right hand. And my scalp being the worst as it's 100% my whole head. I have tried: Sebco Dovobet Dovonex Dermol 600 Calcipotriol Betnovate - cream and scalp Dermovate - cream and scalp Exorex Coal tar Alphasil capasal Methotrexate Cicloporin UVB light treatment. What I'm using alternatively at the minute is enstilar, dovobet ointment & gel and capasal shampoo. Which is working wonders for my elbows, ears and torso but my scalp always comes back within 1-2 days :(

Posted Sun 26 Feb 2017 18.15 by Paul C-L

Hi, I used to use Liquid Parafin, it's like an unscented baby oil, on my scalp years ago. I would rub in in, leave it on overnight if possible as really greasy, shower cap or pillow protector needed. In morning shampoo out using coal tar shampoo Tgel original and it takes all the flaky scales/skin off and leaves your head feeling free. However, it took about three-four washes to get oil off and have to comb out the heavy duty dandruff as I used to call it but it used to last about a week. It gave me a wonderful clean feeling. I did have shortish hair though may be a challenge if you have long hair, but it may be worth a go !!! Good luck Paul

Posted Sat 29 Jul 2017 13.45 by MonicaChortle

I have psoriasis on my arms and after two weeks if using dermalmd psoriasis serum, my arms have cleared up considerably! I also have psoriasis on my scalp, especially behind my ears and along my hairline on my neck. I had been using Fluocinonide prescribed by my doctor for over a year, but that did not help and was crazy expensive! I could tell a difference immediately when i put dermalmd psoriasis serum on my hairline, and it is not red and irritable anymore! I thought this serum was also very reasonably priced.

Posted Fri 29 Dec 2017 00.55 by smurfette (edited Fri 29 Dec 2017 00.57 by smurfette)
hi I'm Lisa I'm 35 I have suffered from psoriasis my whole life

hi I'm 29 and have suffered from psoriasis my whole life I have used all the topical treatments you can think of that have been prescribed by my dermatologist to no avail I have been on methotrexate and still didn't work I recently got brought some dream cream from lush and some oaty creamy dreamy bath creme and it has worked wonders the redness and the flaking has died down a lot and not even been using it a week I never thought of lush products to help as my skin is sensitive to so many things that I can't even use sanex bubble bath I also have used dermalex that you can buy over the counter at any chemist and that worked really well but the problem is that it stopped working after a little while also aveeno for eczema is amazing too and you can get it on prescription x

Posted Wed 3 Jan 2018 03.35 by Dicko104

Hi, I've had psoriasis all my life! I've tried every cream/ ointment from the doctors. I use dovabet when I have a bad break out but find that it makes me itch uncontrollably. I've had light treatment, which cleared every patch up for about 18 months but then came back with a vengeance! I was prescribed acitretin tablets but had a bad reaction to them. I'm now looking to try ANYTHING to keep it at bay. Any suggestions are more than welcome. One thing that I found was great for my scalp was Bettamousse. One or two applications and it cleared it up. The scales just seemed to fall off! It does sting for a minute but well worth it for the end result.

Posted Thu 4 Jan 2018 17.12 by Zo

Hey i'm Zo. I have had Psoriasis for about 7 years now. I am covered from head to toe and also now have slight Psoriasis arthritis. Its in every nook and cranny and also on my scalp. I have suffered with depressions due to not wanting to go outside and be around people. I personally (might not work for all) have found my miracle set of creams. My skin went from cracked, open sores and bleeding, painful to walk, bend or stretch due to psoriasis behind my knee joints to just a slight pink but soft looking skin. Completely gone on my face and shoulder after just six weeks of treatment, infant friends and family noticed the change within the first two weeks. I am so much happier and can't wait for the summer to show off my new beautiful skin. Some might say the treatment is very expensive but to me it has been the best treatment ever, and believe me i have tried about 30 different creams, oils, and ointments via and doctors and natural remedies. The treatment is called 'Soratinex' you can read all about it for yourselves and find out prices via ( https://www.franklpharma.co.uk/ ) but from my personal experience it has been a real 100% better miracle for me. I would recommend reading about it and maybe trying it for yourself, i know for me i will never go back to any other treatments.

Posted Thu 4 Jan 2018 22.23 by Paul

Hello Lauren, I have has psoriasis for 30 years, every 5 years or so I visit a GP and ask if they have a cure yet, still no. I itch, bleed and my nails hurt, but I do not take good enough care of it. Pay attention to the treatments and do not be like me and allow yourself to be anaesthetised to shedding skin everywhere. The good news is I do not seem to have developed the arthritis, I keep my general health good,exercise and get in the sun as often as possible. Best of luck with your Investigations

Posted Fri 5 Jan 2018 10.47 by Paul C-L

Hi all, I have been having Alexander Technique Lessons for the past few years and am training to be an Alexander Training Teacher. The ' Teacher' training course is a three year course and I am two years into it but in the last six months my Psoriasis has practically cleared. I has not been overly bad over the past five years but it has actually cleared on my elbows (never before) and practically on my Knees. Other than that clear!!! I am thinking of carrying out some research into this as may benefit others. Anyone interested in the Benfleet Essex area let me know if nothing else you can have some free lessons. all the best Paul

Posted Fri 5 Jan 2018 13.56 by Pindyloo

@sjp123 - did you get sunburnt while in Greece? This can cause major flare-ups.

To take part, sign in or register with us