Managing my psoriasis with diet and supplements - evidence-based

Posted Thu 20 Jul 2017 03.41 by Nessie1869

I have had psoriasis for 16 years. I was first diagnosed when I was 34 years old and I believe it was first triggered by a stressful event. It is also partly hereditary – my mother has it and my grandfather was thought to have it. In the first few years I was treated with a series of medications, including dovonex (useless), light therapy (good but had a flare straight after the treatment was completed, so not long lasting) and dovobet (my lifeline for the last 14 years). My psoriasis covers more than 10% of my body and is mostly on my legs, feet, elbows, scalp and ears. About 2 years ago it began to spread to my torso and flare fairly frequently. I have also developed mild psoriatic arthritis in my hips, knees, feet and hands, including dactylitis in my left thumb. I have had to use dovobet fairly continuously since then. I wasn’t keen to move on to more aggressive systemic treatments (methotrexate and biologics) because of the side effects. At this point I should mention I am a medical writer by trade, and have written extensively on the use of these treatments across a wide range of immune-related disorders, including psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. I did some research on PubMed to see what studies had been carried out on the natural control of symptoms associated with psoriasis. As everyone has probably read, diet is a big factor. So I decided to try diet as a way of controlling my symptoms. I stopped eating gluten, lactose, sugar and limited alcohol to a couple of glasses of wine a week. I managed to follow this for about 6 months and did notice a gradual improvement. I maintained the diet until about 6 months ago, when I was worried I could make myself gluten/lactose intolerant. So I gradually began to reintroduce these to my diet. I also wanted to enjoy life! So I would have sweet stuff and a few more drinks on occasion. One thing I have noticed through this elimination diet was that I definitely had some dietary triggers that resulted in almost immediate flares (same day). These were wheat (bread/pasta/cake) but not necessarily gluten, more than 3 glasses of wine in one sitting and a high dose of sugar (e.g., large slice of cake). All 3 would be a disaster. The flares start in my joints and the skin itching begins after that. I can minimise the impact of the flares by taking ibuprofen and antihistamines (one loratadine and one cetirizine – generic brand) – and obviously not repeating the dietary mistake! I did some more research to see what evidenced-based natural supplements are out there that could have benefits in an immune-related disorder such as psoriasis. Psoriasis is inflammation – your body attacking itself (in our case our skin). It is also associated with vitamin D deficiency. For many immune-related disorders there has also been the suggestion that gut imbalance is a factor. Basically, our gut bacteria (microbiome) are out of whack. So I focussed my research around anti-inflammatory supplements, supplements good for the skin and probiotics for the gut aspect. I have honed my list of supplements down to the following: 1. Vitamin D (10,000 IU per day) 2. Bio-selenium and zinc (Pharma Nord make which has added vitamin C, E and B6) 3. Turmeric (curcumin 600 mg with 5 mg organic black pepper) 4. Astaxanthin (12 mg) 5. Biotin (10,000 μg) 6. Omega 3, 6 and 9 (1200 mg) - fish oils 7. Optibac probiotics extra strength (they have shown the good bacteria in their capsules make it through the stomach acid – many others don’t) I get 1-6 from Amazon and 7 direct from the manufacturer (in the UK). I take one table of each every day after dinner and have been doing so for 6 weeks now. I have noticed a major improvement in my psoriasis and joint pain. It took about 3 weeks to notice the benefit. I have managed to come off dovobet completely for the first time in over 2 years – I was using it every evening. My plaques have gone from red, scaly, itchy/sore to flat stains in the majority of places. I still have minor raised plaques on my elbow and one on my feet. I am not having any side effects from taking the supplements. I do try and stick to the wheat free, low sugar, sensible alcohol intake diet. I also keep my skin well moisturised by applying an emollient in the morning and at bedtime. It has made a big difference to the quality of my life, which has been fairly dominated by my condition. I would be interested to see if this has any benefit in anyone else willing to try, as I recognise this is only a case study of one person.

Posted Sat 22 Jul 2017 23.02 by Laura may

I am currently taking supplements and watching diet as well after reading a very insightful book... psoriasis the cure... it is certainly helping. I would be happy to discuss further.

Posted Mon 24 Jul 2017 08.36 by Nessie1869

Yes, I've heard of this book. Which supplements did you decide on? I decided to do my own research and have read quite a few studies that have looked into the role of diet and dietary deficiencies in psoriasis. There is quite a bit out there. From what I can see, although psoriasis is definitely an immune disorder with an imbalance of several cytokine and other mediators of immune function, the triggers are unclear. There is definitely a genetic element. The triggers seem to vary from an initial infection to a leaky gut as a result of imbalance of the natural gut flora or as a result of stress. There does seem to be evidence that we are vitamin D and zinc deficient - so that suggests some kind of metabolic imbalance. This was the rationale for me starting the range of supplements and dietary restrictions I'm on now. It is a bit of a juggling act, but you get used to it and I have seen benefits. My psoriasis isn't completely gone but it is significantly improved and I'm not getting the flares I was getting. I'm keen to keep it as under control as I can, as I don't want to go onto systemic therapy and I want to keep off the dovobet (which I have done now completely for a few weeks) as it definitely thins the skin.

Posted Mon 24 Jul 2017 23.03 by ELewis17

Hi, This was really interesting to read - I'm 29 and seem to have broken out in psoriasis over the past few months. I have patches everywhere and the dovobet only seems to work on larger areas. I've been trying to research what else I can do - as i can't seem to reduce stress levels due to circumstances. I will try some supplements and look at changing my diet. My mum had psoriasis very severely, so hereditary factors play a massive part here. I just hope I can find a way to control this as I'm not very confident in myself anyway, so this has just made me want to hide from the world. Thank you for the advice :)

Posted Tue 25 Jul 2017 09.45 by Nessie1869

Don't loose heart. It may also be worth looking at yoga classes or practicing mindfulness - basically allowing yourself 10-15 mins at the end of the day to practice simple breathing and relaxation exercises. They do work and don't take too much of your day - it's basically a bit of me time. Having a positive mindset is important with any chronic condition, I think. It may also be worth getting checked for intolerances and deficiencies before doing anything - the usual culprits are gluten and lactose intolerances and vitamin D deficiency. Everyone with psoriasis seems to be unique, so it's good to find out as much as possible about what may be your particular triggers. Also make sure you use a good emollient as this reduces the itch and dryness of the skin - eucerin is pretty good and you can get in on prescription. It is also probably worth getting a referral to see a dermatologist in the meantime, as this can take time to come through.

Posted Tue 25 Jul 2017 21.45 by Kevin-Lincs

Brilliant article thank you I have just been diagnosed with psoriasis today and feeling depressed but reading your article has given me hope

Posted Sat 5 Aug 2017 00.45 by Fruitbat1

Booze --------stop all booze !!! I know its a terrifying thought but it must be done !!!! It's awful to sit there with water/juice at a party but booze is your worst enemy, trust me. Alcohol is dehydrating and that in itself will dry out your skin - lord knows we dont need any help on that score !!! When i gave up booze altogether my skin cleared up. You dont need any fancy diet/supplements/drugs....... just dont drink !!! And i do mean anything alcoholic!!!! I thought i felt better having a drink. It would help me forget the people that day that starred at me etc....but it makes it 1000% worse. If i can help just one person today by saying this then its all worth it. I hope this helps you all, and trust me it works better than any creams/potions etc... just have a go please !!!! Love Mel x

Posted Sat 6 Oct 2018 04.52 by Rexal

I cleared 95% of my psoriasis in 3 months and have kept it clear for an additional 4 months so far by using the following protocol: 1. 30,000 units of Vitamin D per day 2. 1 Super K (Vit. K1 and K2 combo) per day 3. A moderate fat (about 20%} whole food plant based diet with absolutely no animal products 4. Only an occasional glass of wine-up to twice per month. The clearing progressed as follows: First month: psoriasis got worse Second month: rapid decrease in inflammation, angry skin, and retreat of largest plaques. Third month: disappearance of most plaques. Fourth month to present: gradual clearing of remaining plaques. There are now only two very small and very light silvery areas left and a few patches on my fingers. I ceased the high dose D a month ago but plan to resume over the winter. I also plan to cut coffee and the remaining alcohol. I am confident the 5% that’s left will then clear. The high dose D is a protocol used in a study in Brazil and popular on the internet. It’s worked amazingly well for me. I am not confident that I could maintain the results without the diet. I realize the proof lies in how well the next year and longer go so this is just a provisional report. There is no danger in the high dose D for most but it’s a good idea to have your levels checked with a simple lab test. I recommend you include fresh pressed juices-juiced at home-of various vegetables daily. I used carrot and green apple plus a green juice every day. I also recommend a lot of raw veggies-salads, cut veggies with hummus etc., and legumes every day. I cook/prepare almost all my own food. Restaurant food is mostly unhealthy with the exception of vegan eateries. One more note: I eventually cut gluten but this was only recently. My digestion has improved. It wasn’t a part of the clearing. One more note: I meditate every day, run and lift weights.

Posted Mon 8 Oct 2018 21.46 by ozzy77

I am new to this group but your comments are insightful. I've had psoriasis for 30 years and have been treated with most of what has been out there. I also have A-Typical Depression with fatigue and anxiety as the symptoms. I have been looking into CBD oil as a possible trtmt. I am meeting with my derm doc and psychiatrist this week to make sure the CBD oil does not interfere with my meds. Interested to know if anyone has looked into CBD's. Thanks

Posted Tue 11 Dec 2018 21.59 by davie_b1972
Self Confidence

This is a really interesting read I have never taken vitamins for my psoriasis but given it is severe I will try some atarting with Vitamin D and Omega 3 6 9 to start with is that wise? Davie

1 Posted Thu 14 Feb 2019 09.08 by susanleannep

Hi, I realise this thread is a little old but wondered if anyone had any updates on progress following vitamin supplements? Looking to support a change in diet (now vegan, gluten, wheat and mostly sugar free). I have plaque psoriasis rapidly spreading and am looking for ways to try and control it a little. I started with it when I was about 15 and now 39. I think stress is a large factor, but trying to find other ways to help while I deal with a family relocation which should hopefully remove stress long term! Look forward to anyones feedback....

Posted Thu 14 Feb 2019 10.52 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sat 16 Feb 2019 03.47 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

One word of caution: I would advise to check the recommended daily intake of any vitamins that you wish to take, and also any potential toxicity or potential adverse effects that could occur from taking much larger amounts over a period of time. Some of the daily amounts that people mention on here seem incredibly high, With some vitamins that are water-soluble, eg Vitamin C, this is not particularly critical, and excess amounts are simple excreted from the body in urine. But the body does not excrete excess of a fat-soluble vitamin, such as Vit D or vitamin A, in the same way, they can build up in the body's fat, and too much vitamin D or A (as examples) in the form of supplements can cause health problems. This is just something to think about and keep in mind when you decide to take supplements for whatever reasons. EDIT: one more point to consider: not all supplements that you can buy are of equaly quality, or derived from the same sources. Unfortunately I really do not know how to suggest that you can judge the releative qualities of different brands or formulations , eg Vitamnin D . I recently read quite a lot about turmeric and turmeric capsules, and just to compare the potency/strength of different brands is not straightforward. It certainly seems that eating foods with high amounts of the supplement you want is often the straightforward way.

Posted Thu 14 Feb 2019 19.58 by Tarsh

Hi there, Thank you for posting your experience. I too am experimenting with diet and exercise as a means of controlling my psoriasis after 10 years using Daivobet. My elimination diet has been pretty strict for the last 26 days (only four days to go in my 30 day challenge) but the results have already been remarkable. I have been able to identify two triggers already. Tomato caused a flare up the next day on my torso, although it cleared a day after that. Red meat produced a reaction within an hour on my thigh. Very fast but also cleared extremely quickly and was gone again 3 hours later. Good luck with your journey.

Posted Sun 3 Mar 2019 21.58 by lorraine

Very helpful post, thank you!

Posted Sun 24 Oct 2021 01.51 by SteveMiddle1

I just started using Astaxanthin 12 mg and found this post. I’m using it for different reasons but was wondering how it might help psoriasis. I used to be covered in it, but now manage it by spraying myself with magnesium oil (sometimes directly on a flare (the burn!) and sitting in the sun to naturally raise my Vitamin D levels. I’ve been warned not to take vitamin D supplements. I now have a tiny spot here and there which is fine by me.

Posted Mon 25 Oct 2021 06.06 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 25 Oct 2021 14.37 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

SteveMiddle1: who advised against taking Vit-D supplements, and for what reason? I am not challenging this, I am just interested to know more. Thanks

Posted Mon 25 Oct 2021 11.50 by Debs

I was really interested to read this post regarding diet affecting psoriasis. I have had guttate psoriasis from around 10 years old (I'm now 58) -I cannot say I suffered with it as it was very mild -just a few small spots here and there. However when I turned 40 around May/June time I woke up one morning with spots of psoriasis all over my body - I looked like I'd got chicken pox! I started light therapy which got rid of most of it but then the next year May/June I came out with another bout all over my body again. This happened for a few years and I just used the creams Prescribed but they weren't very effective. Also the sun helped. 2 years ago I noticed I was feeling bloated and uncomfortable after having white bread and other foods with flour. I have had tests for coeliacs disease (and ovarian cancer ) and they were all clear. I now do not eat anything with Flour and my psoriasis has completely disappeared. I can't believe it ! Wished I'd known this years ago. From reading the posts on the forum it seems diet can affect psoriasis which I wasn't aware of.

Posted Thu 21 Jul 2022 13.50 by dina1of4

I am very new to this as my psoriasis just started in the last 2 years due to circumstances beyond my control. I have genital psoriasis and I am trying to find what works for me. No family history of psoriasis at all. I've been using topicals only - coconut oil, hydrocortisone ointment, vaseline. It helps a bit but I seem to always be in a mild state of 'itchy'. Am starting to see the food connection too. I did get a book on my kindle called Healing Psoriasis The Natural Alternative, and am reading that. I am in a terrible flare right now, and am going to have to see a dermatologist I think, but alwats hate when a doctor has to look at my hoo-ha. But, I think it is necessary to get a handle on it.

Posted Fri 27 Jan 2023 00.44 by Silver Fox

Very interesting thread. Unlike others I eat a high meat, high dairy product diet. I have come up with a supplement regime which is targeted both at covid and psoriasis but for several months now leaves me 98% clear. 1. Vitamin D3 (5000), vitamin K2 (200mg), magnesium glycinate (200mg). These are focused on calcium metabolism 2. Quercetin, zinc picolinate, NAC. These targeted at covid 3. Omega 3 fish oil capsules 4. Glutamine 1000mg One reason for being high meat, high dairy is that these have the broadest range of nutrients. Anyway this combo appears to be very effective in my case

Posted Wed 7 Jun 2023 07.44 by Keezl (edited Thu 8 Jun 2023 07.36 by Keezl)

Silver Fox, I'm curious. You have a rather different approach to managing your psoriasis. Are you on the Carnivore Diet? And which dairy products do you consume?

To take part, sign in or register with us