Ceanel out of stock - alternative anti microbial / fungal shampoo?

Posted Mon 11 Jun 2018 14.16 by Dor2018

Hi there - my go to shampoo for managing my lifetime of severe scalp psoriasis (Ceanel) is out of production. I've used coal tar based products before and they made my hair fall out and I'm convinced the reason the Ceanel worked is the anti microbial/anti fungal properties it had. Anyone been able to track down any Ceanel recently (abroad?) or know of any effective anti microbial/anti fungal shampoos I can try? Googling it shows there are plenty out there for dogs it seems but not humans! Thanks in advance...

Posted Fri 17 Aug 2018 13.40 by MelanieL

I have also found Ceanel the only successful shampoo for managing my scalp psoriasis for the last 30 years. I have had two alteratives prescribed recently and both have failed to keep under management and my condition is speaking as a result. I would also welcome any advice on alternatives. Thank you

Posted Sat 23 Mar 2019 16.48 by JimKUSA

Any luck in your search? I just ran out, help.

Posted Sat 23 Mar 2019 19.19 by Julieann

Me too, please help someone!! Thanks

Posted Sat 23 Mar 2019 19.28 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sun 24 Mar 2019 20.38 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

According to the information on this site, Ceanel is out of production. https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/psoriasis-and-treatments/unavailable-treatments I do not know what was in it as active ingredients, but if you check that on your last bottle and then search, you might fiind things that you can try,

Posted Wed 27 Mar 2019 07.14 by JimKUSA

Julieann did you find anything similar to ceanel? If so please let me know. Thanks

Posted Wed 27 Mar 2019 10.05 by Julieann

Hi, No the only thing I was advised to use is Alphosyl 2 in 1 shampoo which is coal tar based. Its ok but its not Ceanel and no where near as good. I also notice that my hair falls out a lot when using this shampoo. You would think some company somewhere makes a similar product! :-(

Posted Wed 27 Mar 2019 11.26 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Wed 27 Mar 2019 15.52 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Julieann: according to the information posted by the Psoriaris Association, at the link I provided, the manufacturers of ceanel said that they were encountering difficulties with the availability of some of the raw materials. Apart from possible patent issues, it could be that other manufacturers might have just the same problems to obtain raw materials. I have used Alphosyl and found it excellent, and much less drying to my hair than some others. I currently use Alphacade PSO, I find this really good at stopping itching and reducing flaking. It might even be worth contacting the manufacturers of ceanel (Alliance Pharmaceuticals) and asking them if there are any updates, or if they have any alternative products.

1 Posted Sat 13 Jul 2019 21.18 by Christopher

Hello I’m new to the forum, but NOT new to Ceanel. It was firs prescribed when I was about 16, and I’m 62 now! It is the best treatment, then and now. I still have about 50ml left of my last bottle. The “use by” date expired 09.17, and though I would never normally go over date, it is fine, with no contra indications, changes in consistency, colour, odour etc.. I contacted the manufacturer and they claimed the same reason of raw material shortages/unavailability. I believe that this is total hooey! I suspect that the real reason is, as another contributor said, a patent issue, or, and I think more likely, that it has/will soon go out of license in some (likely US/EU/UK) jurisdiction, and they are too stingy to invest in a fantastic, though low demand, older, treatment. This attitude is typical of the pharmaceutical industry.

Posted Sun 14 Jul 2019 02.29 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Christopher, Whatever the true reason regarding Ceanel, no company that needs to run at a profit is going to maintian stocks and production of a "low demand" product- this is not limited to the pharmaceutical industry. I ceanel was widely successful the deamn would still be high I would have thought? Pleanty of drugs and medications that have gone out of patent are manufactured as a generic and other companies make a healthy living from them - IF the demand is there.

Posted Thu 7 Apr 2022 14.34 by Claire

Hi I'm allergic to coal tar so have used Ceanel for many years. The only thing I've found that doesn't make my scalp itch like hell is Sebovalis shampoo by Sesderma. It's not as good as Ceanel but I no longer scratch my scalp like I have Fleas. I've tried all the recommendations on here and the crazy Internet videos about putting hemp oil on etc (don't do it. It doesn't wash out and sticks your hair together in a manky mess) and that's the best I've found.

To take part, sign in or register with us