Psoriasis and depression

Posted Thu 23 Aug 2018 13.54 by Lauren77

I am having a really hard time living like this. Didn’t know I had psoriasis and didn’t have any flares until I was almost fourty years old. In the past two years has gotten so bad, I don’t have a life anymore.

Posted Thu 23 Aug 2018 18.26 by Jon Penn

Hi Lauren, I’ve suffered for years with psoriasis and so severe, I had plaques on every limb - including my face which was really hard as I am in a customer facing job. I felt like you are feeling now, but don’t give up. I just stayed in the house all the time as I didn’t want people to see me, it’s the fact that everybody asks you ‘what’s that on your face’ which actually makes you feel worse. I started trying to get out in the sun as much as possible which helped massively but not exactly lots of it in the uk. Doctors and my dermatologist gave me steroid creams and tablets that had terrible side effects - it did help a little but in the long term it caused me hell. The steroid cream thinned my skin so sunlight didn’t work as well anymore. I bought a UVB sunbed which helped massively But I still had redness all over. Eventually I started getting spinal pains to the point I couldn’t get out of bed without help, it was assumed it was psoriatic arthritis- oh joy! A rheumatologist diagnosed me with ankylosing spondylitis which is related to the immune system (just like Psoriasis) which basically is arthritis In the spine. So I was lower than you could imagine, I was losing the ability to walk, get up from a seat and the only thing keeping me going was my wife. I was finally given a drug that could help this and they said it will more than likely clear up my psoriasis too, I didn’t believe there was a chance as I had tried everything. The drug is called Humira and I still use it now, it’s an injection that I take twice a month. Within a few months almost all psoriasis and my back issues had cleared up! It’s literally a miracle drug. So why don’t they I’ve this to everyone was what I was thinking. Apparently it’s due to the cost to the NHS, approx £10k a year. They only gave it to me due to the spinal problems but my dermatologist said she couldn’t give it to me due to cost (I confronted about it after my Psoriasis was cleared up). So to summarise, it is possible that you can be treated, just don’t give up, fight to get the drugs that will actually work. 2 years I have been completely clear of Psoriasis and I’m finally enjoying life again. Get a UVB bed in the meantime until you can get the relevant drugs

2 Posted Tue 28 Aug 2018 06.06 by Tduker

Itching all over even without plaques

Posted Sat 1 Sep 2018 23.11 by warren1
widespread psoriasis for 30years

please look at the blueberries posts. Warren

Posted Tue 4 Sep 2018 13.44 by Metarie1985
Beauty standard ignorer, unapologetic P sufferer for 10 years, determined to stay positive!

Aww honey :( I just want to hug you. It's a miserable, isolating condition. When my skin is bad, I can't even look at myself in a mirror unless it's all covered. I'm trying to get better with that. But my short term advice is go treat yourself to something beautiful to wear, something that covers your skin, but doesn't make you feel like you're wrapped up like a mummy. There are some lovely long sleeved maxi dresses about if that's your style. Try and get back that sense of who you are without this condition ruling your life. You don't say if you're seeking treatment but please fight for your healthcare and demand to be taken seriously by your GP. So many of them fob us off with moisturisers and it's not good enough. If you are struggling because of the 'side effect' of depression over psoriasis, your GP should be expediting your Derm appointments and offering you access to support or mental health care. Please take care of yourself, physically and mentally. *hugs*

Posted Wed 5 Sep 2018 14.21 by Lauren77

Hello Jon Penn, you come first. Thank you so much for being the first one to reply to my desperate post. I really appreciated it. I think you put a lot of heart on it, and I have to tell you how my story went <3 Wendyloish, I will look up that diet. I though think my psoriasis comes from a kind of unhappiness or cosmic overwhelm, but I am also all for eating right <3 Tduker, I know how hard it is (the itching). I know is overrated, but have you tried coconut oil, and or aloe vera? Does’t solve the problem, but in the short run it helps the itching <3 You are not alone. Warren1, what are the blueberry posts? Did not find anything about them. Please tell me :) <4 Metarie1985: even though you are younger than me, you are so much wiser. Will so take into consideration your good advice <3 Thank you guys, your comments make a difference. Sending you all a big, shiny hug.

Posted Wed 5 Sep 2018 17.30 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Lauren: if you type blueberries into the search at the top of this page, you will find this thread: https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/forums/topic.aspx?ID=1314

Posted Wed 12 Sep 2018 09.36 by gocool

Hi, Anyone, i have been psoriasis since 2 years..Now no one talk to me because i don't talk to anybody cause i am psoriasis. If i told any body, i feel "Will they notice me i have psoriasis".I have frustration anytime because of this....And also my age is 25 years old.. At my 24th age , I had so many stress and strain( i.e... only 4 hours sleep, didn't eat well, and at the same time Hardwork) that results, psoriasis might be affect me....can any body talk to me as a friend through my facebook. or email...something..I want true friends..no cheating friends...Then only i will make me happy as myself without these disease concern... Thanking You

Posted Wed 12 Sep 2018 09.57 by gocool

Hi Metarie1985 - 34, I don't know you Sir/medam.... If you as my friend, could you make me as your friend.... I didn't do any thing wrong attitude or any cheating or no one...even i am teetotaller... I love animals, pet, even i didn't kill ant if it bites me.. Then why i get these type of life time disease...I cried over 100 times when i noticed i have psoriasis....and also my parents middle income and i am the main income sourcer of my family....finally God gave up on me...and also I was living with carefully , because I feel these disease spread up to anyone even if this is not a contagious disease....Now why i am here is i want making friends any body even male or female or anybody who are suffering from these type of concerns.....So any one make me as friend contact me- gokulr.k15@gmail.com... Mercy..

Posted Thu 13 Sep 2018 04.54 by RosaClaire

Hi, I have severe psoriasis and I’ve had it since I was 12, I’m now 17. I would have extremely painful psoriasis all over my body. I was so much stronger because I realise how much it affected me back then, I would get bullied a lot and yet I was fine. Well I thought I was but I guess the stress brought out in me physically. I will get on an extreme drug and it will work until summer comes along and I have an extreme flare up again. I’ve been on cyclosporine, methotrexate, Humira and others. I’ve had topicals, tried different moisturisers and lately it just feels like I can’t handle it as well. It’s flared again and I can’t sleep anymore. I can’t come out of my room I feel so helpless, I feel like I haven’t ever had the childhood I deserved truly. I’m just so exhausted and drained. I’m so tired of putting up with this anymore. I’ve had linked illnesses like chicken pox twice and shingles. I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m just so sad

Posted Thu 13 Sep 2018 05.34 by gocool

hey rosa, Don't worry...U are not the only one it had...Even i had Psoriasis from last year...So don't worry...U are a woman right...U have women potential and braveness...So don't depressed that these kind of simple skin disease....U have the big dream to reach...So go for it and grab the dream...Thanks...Any thing want more advice or caretalk ...contact me in email gokulr.k15@gmail.com

Posted Thu 13 Sep 2018 05.44 by RosaClaire

Thank you so much

Posted Fri 14 Sep 2018 20.40 by Sue P

RosaClaire You’re in my thoughts, somehow it will get better. I go up & down, happiness & despair but we can’t give up. Xxx

To take part, sign in or register with us