My 8 year old daughter - developed psoriasis at 7 yrs old, I also have it

Posted Sat 23 Jan 2021 19.49 by fallon1983 (edited Sat 23 Jan 2021 19.52 by fallon1983)

hello, I am seeking advice for my daughter who is 8 but who started to develop psoriasis in April 2020 when she was just 7 years old. I suspected that she would get it eventually, as I (mother) has had it since I was 13 years old and have suffered since with it. My mother and my daughters paternal grandmother and uncle have it which is why I thought she would devleop it. However, I was surprised and anguished when it started last year. Since then I have tried my hardest to make it easier for her, by using creams daily to ease the pain, itch and spread. Even though it was difficult with Covid pandemic, I spoke to the nurse who prescribed moisturising cream, and referred her to dermatologist who we saw in Dec 2020, She prescribed different creams, col tar, sensitive for nipple area, and double base for bath and moisturiser, and dovabet. I use the creams on different days as instructed by doctor, but it is spreading further. Since it started it has only grown, the cream only moisturises it and makes it less sore. It has spread from head to foot, and is making me so worried. I have suffered for 25 years with it, spread on me from head to foot, and after twenty years of seeing doctors, they agve me a tablet which i have daily, and mine is now controlled. I just feel now my battle is fought I am fighting a harder battle as my daughter will suffer in her youth, as I can see how it's spreading, The doctor can't prescribe strong medications because of her age. I have explained to my daughter that psoriasis does not define who you are and I hope she will learn this. But, she is a very confident little girl whose dream is to be a singer (she attends theatre school - on Zoom atm but she is talented) and I am worried that the rate of the psoriasis and my knowledge of what it does, will affect her young life or confidence. I am reaching out to the Psoriasis association as my call for help, as I feel I need to do more for her. Thank you Fallon

Posted Mon 25 Jan 2021 19.00 by CharlotteJo

Hey Fallon. Both you and your daughters psoriasis sounds like mine. I want to ask if there was something that triggered the start of her psoriasis and the spread. I developed psoriasis at 11, I’ve had it now for 23 years. I have however through the years figured some things out. A certain diet can help. Cutting out sugar for a month helped. I also turned vegan 5 years ago. I also trained as a singer and actor, she can totally still follow her dreams.

Posted Tue 26 Jan 2021 07.16 by fallon1983

Hello, thank you for your reply. I appreciate your advice. I think the closing of the schools may have triggered it to start, as they closed in March and I noticed the first bit of psoriasis on 7th April. I will change her diet to see if that helps. We will keep pursuing her dreams, she still attends the theatre club on saturday mornings. The main worry for me is her getting older and it affecting her confidence as if it is like mine it will spread unless I can get treatment to make it go away. Regards Fallon

Posted Tue 26 Jan 2021 12.40 by johngarry

Excellent

Posted Sun 7 Feb 2021 15.25 by folkieboater

Mine started when I was 7 or 8. That’s 43 years ago. I hope that these days things will be easier for her with more known about treatments. It was all very strong coal tar creams and baths when I was little - I stank of the stuff (don’t get me wrong, I love the smell, but other kids can be cruel 😔). Mine comes and goes these days. I’ve learned to live with it. Don’t let it affect doing what she wants to do with her life. If she’s talented with her singing and acting, I hope her dreams come true.

Posted Mon 8 Feb 2021 16.09 by LenRa
First plaque in 2018

Having you as a mom will help because you can be a positive role model with the same condition. She at least won't feel isolated or alone in her journey. It's great that she's already a happy and confident kid. I think if the two of you "team up" with your shared condition that it will be OK. Be beautiful together and she may not worry about how the condition affects her overall ability to be wonderful, happy, and successful.

Posted Fri 12 Feb 2021 13.59 by fallon1983

Thank you for your kind words and advice. I will definitely keep encouraging her to have a bright outlook, and always help others, and to know its not her fault. Since I last posted on here, it has spread on her, but I am battling with coal tar and the other creams as well as t-gel shampoo.

Posted Fri 12 Feb 2021 16.10 by SharonG

@Fallon1983 Please have a look at the Blueberry thread - might help? I recommend the BB thread to everyone on here - no harm in trying as they seem to be working for me. :) You are doing a FaB job - Super Mum - Good Luck :)

Posted Fri 12 Feb 2021 16.25 by CharlotteJo

When I was younger and like your daughter doing drama and performing I found that I felt more embarrassed by my red patches more in the summer than in the winter. The winter everyone covers up, but the summer felt like hell. Get her in the sun. She can use sun protecting on her other skin, but let the rays get to her matches. I ended up having light treatment for years when I was younger through the winter months. It was amazing for me, I would be clear for months. And I had tried lots and lots of creams and topical based ointments. So lots of sun! She is amazing with or without psoriasis and that’s why you are such a great mum! And going through it yourself. But kids can be cruel, but they just don’t understand. I fortunately was in class with 3 other people who had psoriasis, so we kept each other strong. There is a great over night scalp treatment called Cocois. You can buy it online if you’re unable to get a Dr’s appointment atm. It’s a good sooth. You can have sooth days together, get some cool head scarfs and pop a face mask on x x x Lockdown definitely flared my psoriasis but hey, it’s a project to keep me busy. Can’t wait to see her perform one day!!

Posted Fri 12 Feb 2021 19.41 by LenRa
First plaque in 2018

Totally love the idea of having Soothe Days together. What a great excuse for regular mother-daughter spa time!

Posted Sat 20 Feb 2021 13.57 by fallon1983

Thanks SharonG, where can i find the Blueberry thread please? Thank you for your compliment, I feel like a good mum but even now i cry as I know I can't just tae it away...she has gone with her dad for the night so she cant see my cry.

Posted Sat 20 Feb 2021 14.07 by SharonG

@fallon1983 Search this: Eating Blueberries has cleared up my psoriasis

Posted Sat 20 Feb 2021 14.12 by SharonG

@fallon1983 Go to forums and then do a search ok?

Posted Sat 20 Feb 2021 14.13 by fallon1983 (edited Sat 20 Feb 2021 14.14 by fallon1983)

Hi CharlotteJo, Thank you for your kind suggestions. I know what you mean about summer time, and the sun. I was so embarrassed to show my legs in the sun, though I need to expose them to get the sun to them. I feel english sun doesnt help much, but when i once went to Greece for a week one Sept I came back and my own Mum didnt recognise me, as my skin was so brown and no psoriasis, Within a week it came back. I also received UV treatment at Doncaster hospital for 6 months in my late 20s , it worked for a while but then it came back. I have the cocais in a tube for Paris' (daughter) sensitive areas, prescribed by dermatologist. I will ask them about the Cocais treatment for hair, I have the T-Gel for now which is good. Since I last wrote in here, it has spread further on my girl. It's on her face, neck, shoulders, nipples, chest, back of forearms, elbow, and now starting on the other elbow, bottom, back, ears (inside and out), and a thick psoriasis inside her belly button, inner thighs, back of thighs, knee, lower legs at the back and one foot. This girl is so strong, she lets me cream it often, as she knows we need it to be moisturised to stop the soreness. As with my mum when she had severe psoriasis, my daughter's skin is on the carpet often now, so I hoover more regular. The only reason I have so much time to nurse her skin is that I am home working and home schooling. If it were a normal year I would leave her at childminder at 07:45 for school, and pick her up at 18:00 when I return from work mon-Thur. It is worrying me that I won't have that time once i go back to work and she goes back to school as I an=m single mum who is very busy..... I have her next dermolotogy which will be her second one, on march 16. I have called them and sent photos to tell them it has worsened even though i use the creams as they said. I also have been using my emulsifying ointment which is the only one that really soothes mine, and soothes hers. For her face, its difficult to know what;s best but I'll discuss with dematologist once I see her. I researched yesterday regarding childhood psoriasis and treatments; methotrexate was suggested, a tablet like I have, which could take it away for my daughter. i plan to ask the dermatologist for further advice on this as otherwise my Paris will be subject to it being worse, and could really affect all areas of her life. The rate hers is spreading is faster than mine did. If I could take it off and have it for her I would. I have been having spa days with her, as I said I have more time whilst we are at home together during lockdown. She got Star of the Week again at Razzamatazz and is still very keen singer, she will perform Hairspray in march, but probably by video with us still being in lock down, all the same I am helpong her to follow her dreams and doing my best...your advice and kind words are really appreciated thank you

Posted Sat 20 Feb 2021 14.16 by SharonG

@fallon1983 Click link above x

Posted Sat 20 Feb 2021 14.16 by fallon1983

Thanks SharonG, I will :)

Posted Sat 20 Feb 2021 14.17 by SharonG

👍

Posted Sat 20 Feb 2021 14.37 by fallon1983

SharonG - thank you so much, as shes with her father for the night i have just called to ask him to get blueberries and i have explained to her she must eat a cup of blueberries every day now for four weeks and it could help her, she is happy. she loves them and i will do it too....such good advice, and I am REALLY hoping it will work for her!!

Posted Sat 20 Feb 2021 15.27 by SharonG

@fallon1983 Aww you are so welcome - big plus that she likes them :) It is a long thread to read but worth having a look through if you have time. Everything is all trial and error - hope the BB's help. They seem to be working for me :) I only have about 10 per day. Good Luck. Please pop back and let us know. xx

To take part, sign in or register with us