Menopause and psoriasis

Posted Wed 24 Mar 2021 22.49 by Wusskat

Hi I’m 55 - started hot flushes at 52 and my psoriasis started about 6 months later with a tiny patch over one eye. This was diagnosed by GP as eczema initially, then a suspected allergy (waited 5 months for an allergy test) which was negative. After being sent to A&E by my GP with skin so dark red and itchy that he didn’t know what it was, an on-call dermatologist diagnosed psoriasis. It’s now in my hairline, chest and neck, inner elbows and behind my ears. Heat definitely sets mine off - and with hot flushes most days I can’t get my skin into remission - so could menopause have set it off? I can’t pinpoint anything else. Another trigger - alcohol! Oh how I long for a G&T when I’ve had a tough day with it but one sip sends my skin red after about 30 seconds and I spend the next 3 weeks or so trying to calm it. Has anyone else had experience of psoriasis starting in their 50s and ladies - are any of you on HRT and has it helped? Thanks :-)

Posted Thu 25 Mar 2021 09.13 by bargainlovingmum

Hi Wusskat - How upsetting and difficult for you. I'm glad you raised this, as I'm noticing menopause has such an impact on different aspects of my health. (I'm at the very start of it all - age 50.) With all the hormone changes, and drier skin/flushes etc it must impact our psoriasis, too - I've not thought about it before. I look forward to hearing others' thoughts and observations. It's good you've noticed the alcohol link. I've cut it out just now, too - I am missing my lager and wine these days. It's just not worth the effects, though - you know what I mean.

Posted Sat 10 Apr 2021 17.14 by V62

I have had psoriasis permanently since I was 19 and although always deemed medically as chronic/severe I could manage it. However since I entered my 50s it’s got much more aggressive again/ doesn’t respond to treatment as well. I suspect that menopause and psoriasis are a thing but has not been studied. I have a feeling that dermatologists are aware of an ageing/ menopause psoriasis link based on a comment by mine.

Posted Tue 13 Apr 2021 23.12 by Moggy1

I saw my dermatologist on Monday and asked about menopause and psoriasis as I have been very hormonal lately lots of hot flushes etc and my condition has definitely been worse. He said it could be but wouldn’t confirm either way. Personally I definitely think there is a link

Posted Tue 13 Apr 2021 23.29 by Wusskat

My GP suggested HRT but would only prescribe patches. I explained that I simply wouldn’t be able to keep them on for a week considering all the emollient I had to use. He suggested I try them and after 2 weeks and getting through 4 patches (instead of 2) which totally messed up the prescriptions and which I had to reattach with medical tape I gave up 😔

Posted Wed 14 Apr 2021 08.58 by NicholaB

Hi I’ve had psoriasis since I was 12 years old. It started the month after my first period. I’m now 50 years old, and have recently gone through the change. Still have hot flushes, but period completely stopped. I have noticed that my psoriasis has significantly got better. Instead of Red angry and scaled patches. I now have hardly anything at all. It seems to be continuing to get better. Can’t seem to find any information about psoriasis getting better after menopause. More the opposite.

Posted Fri 16 Apr 2021 17.50 by bargainlovingmum

Fantastic news! So glad for you. I will live in hope as I go through my 50s, too :0)

Posted Mon 10 May 2021 09.30 by june

Yes,my psoriasis started after the menopause,Ive often thought that the depletion of the hormone estrogen could be the cause of psoriasis, maybe the use of estrogen patches could be the way for some of us , keep us informed if anyone tried it or tries it

Posted Thu 17 Jun 2021 17.34 by Amree

I am so glad to find someone I can share this with. I too am going through the menopause. I have had Psoriasis on & off from childhood. I currently have a large patch on my left leg, from my ankle to knee. Random spots, patches on my right leg, a large patch on my left arm, from wrist to elbow, a patch around my belly button, a hand sized patch at the bottom of my spine and the whole of my scalp. Which is extremely Painful. I am using Enstillar on my body, and have been using Calciprotol lotion for my scalp, but the burning sensation is just too much. It's like being scalded. I use coconut oil for moisture, but my hair looks & feels greasy and if I don't use it, it's like a snow shower. Out of all the places I've had Psoriasis, for me the scalp has been the worst. I have found a little reprieve recently for my body Psoriasis, which is also helping with the hot flushes, and that is "Wild swimming". The cold water takes away the pain & heat from the psoriasis for quite a few hours. Also has helped with the hot flushes. Thank you all for sharing. I have been feeling very low recently, and I am struggling with my GP as it's all phone appointments. I need to get better at asking for a new treatment rather than suffering in silence. Amree

Posted Thu 17 Jun 2021 17.50 by Wusskat

Hi Amree It’s so hard isn’t it? I have a friend who has severe psoriasis on her scalp and has recommended a hair mask by Give Me Cosmetics - argan oil and coconut oil based. I’ve not used it so can’t comment but she was at her wit’s end with her scalp. I know it’s all trial and error but it might help. Wild water swimming sounds amazing! My hot flushes have subsided - down to 1 or 2 a day. My psoriasis is not too bad (shhhh - it will hear and flare up again) but I never seem to be totally rid of it and my skin appears traumatised by major flare-ups and the horrible steroids I’ve used on and off. I now alternate between Doublebase gel, Cetraben oatmeal cream, Protopic ointment and very occasionally Elocon ointment. Aveeno oatmeal shampoo and conditioner helped my scalp psoriasis with no irritation. Onwards and upwards xx

Posted Thu 17 Jun 2021 18.42 by bargainlovingmum

Hi all - Wusskat I was hearing about HRT gel the other day, and I was going to ask about that instead of trying to get patches to stay on with all my coconut oil everywhere. Not sure if that would be an option for you? X

Posted Thu 17 Jun 2021 18.44 by Wusskat

Oh! Thank you - I will ask my GP if I can ever get to actually see them!! X

Posted Thu 17 Jun 2021 22.25 by steph

I just noticed this topic after posting and found it very interesting. Im 47 and apparently pre menapause , my periods started acting strange about 6 months ago. Very late or very early then back on track, weight gain. Anyway I have suffered with p for about 30 years and managed it, patches on elbows and down front of legs. Easy to manage and apply cream. Now this past few months its been appearing all over my body in places never had before , I honestly feel like its taking over. There must be a connection. I dont know if my GP would consider putting me on hrt as I still get periods,but my hormones are worse then ever and I suffer with pmt anyway. Its sooo difficult to even get an appointment of any kind though. Steph

Posted Fri 18 Jun 2021 00.25 by Amree

Hey Steph I was diagnosed being peri menopausal at the same age. I was put on HRT patches about a year later. I am 52 now and still having periods ☹️ It has never made any difference to my psoriasis. Neither has eating blueberries (which I read on this page) or stopping drinking alcohol (I haven't had any for 9 years) I don't smoke either. I seem to gain a new patch every day. My head is the worse. Everything I try seems to work for a little while then stops. I have recently started using "Goats milk soap with honey & oats" for my skin, and I also bath in an oat bath. I blend porridge oats until they are super fine. I found this helps when my skin is very red, angry and hot. I supposed it's all trial & error. I have found this site very helpful today. My GP has prescribed me a foam treatment for the scalp Psoriasis called "Bettamousse", unfortunately the chemist have said they are unable to get it from the wholesale/manufacturer. I also use Enstillar foam, which has an instant cooling sensation. It does work, though a few days later it's back. We can only try and keep trying.

Posted Fri 18 Jun 2021 10.19 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Amree, I typed Bettamousse into the search on this site and found this information: https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/news/bettamousse-foam-update It is from last year, but does give contact details for the manufacturer. Also on THIS page: https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/unavailable-treatments is a contact link, where they ask people to advise the Psoriasis Association of your problems to get prescribed treatments, and they can also check with manufacturers and get the story.

Posted Fri 18 Jun 2021 10.28 by Amree

Thank you so much for this information. I am waiting for my GP to contact me regarding this and I shall direct him to this info 😁

Posted Fri 18 Jun 2021 14.04 by OhNo_NotAgain?

You are more than welcome Amree. There is a lot of good information on this site beyond just the forums. You can even contact the Psoriasis Association to discuss specific personal concerns (they give their contact details here and invite contact if people need help or advice).

Posted Fri 18 Jun 2021 21.43 by steph

Hi Amtree. Thanks for your response. I thought life was suppose to get a little easier when you got to

Posted Fri 18 Jun 2021 22.04 by steph

Hi Amtree, I posted by accident before I finished lol! Its all very frustrating and I wish you well, I wish everyone on here well and some miracle cure! I really believed in the blueberry story and was so excited to buy and try but now not so hopeful. I have a mini uvb unit costing 800 flipping ek!, but thats not gone well so far. ( I think I will get more use out of this in winter) I dont want to double expose my skin at the moment with it being warm as I just burnt a few week back. Im using magnesium chloride spray and gone dairy free this past week. Also vitamin k2 and d3. I will update on any progress. Also just wanted to mention my scalp has been clear for many many years but recently its got very itchy!! Thanks for your advice its all good. Steph

Posted Fri 18 Jun 2021 22.30 by Amree

Ooooh Steph, a uvb unit.... I will look into this. I must share with you another thing I've been getting some ease from, which isn't overly expensive (which is a rarity) I blend Poridge oats in my whizzer until it is a very fine powder, about 49 grams, 2 egg size dollaps of extra virgin coconut oil (I bought a litre tub on Amazon for £9.99) and a table spoon of manuka honey 100mgm (£7.99 from Aldi) I mix the ingredients together. I apply it to my skin prior to showering or bathing. It has significantly reduced the redness, which is usually worse after bathing. All of these ingredients are antibacterial, anti inflammatory and are packed with additional vitamins. Its a refreshing change from steroids and emollient 💖

To take part, sign in or register with us