The pain.

Posted Tue 17 Aug 2021 19.26 by Lauraalou

Hey, I have suffered with psoriasis since I was 10 (16 years ago), I was fobbed off by Dr's claiming it was eczema and giving me creams, none of which worked. The psoriasis is located on my hands and feet. It is very severe. It hurts to even type this message. I just wanted some advice on how to deal with the pain. I can't sit about and do nothing but just walking to the kitchen is now making me seeth with pain. I can't hold utensils properly and my hands can't straighten due to cracks on my palms/fingers. If anyone has any advice on dealing with the pain I'd be very grateful. I have tried ciclosporon which didn't work, waiting to start light therapy. Thanks

Posted Tue 17 Aug 2021 20.46 by Alex N

Hi there I suddenly developed palmar plantar psoriasis three years ago, Tried every cream under the sun, and was eventually referred to a dermatologist. Prescribed more creams and a course of light treatment, none of which were strong enough for my palms and soles. Eventually put on Acitretin, a very aggressive drug. Unfortunately it’s not suitable if you’re a female of child-bearing age (I wasn’t at 63), so I doubt it’ll be suitable for you, but it was a miracle treatment for me. It cleared the extra layers of skin cells (and the excruciating cracks in the hands and feet that went with it) within weeks. Wasn’t without side effects, but I gradually reduced the dose over the next few months until I stopped taking it completely. I really sympathise with you. You need to be referred to a dermatologist, as there are alternatives if you can’t have Acitretin, such as Methotrexate or biologics. Best of luck with it and hope you find something that gives you relief.

Posted Tue 17 Aug 2021 20.50 by Lauraalou

Thank you for your reply! I am currently seeing a dermatologist, I have just come off ciclosporon, ready to try the light therapy, I am hoping to have children in the near future so both methotrexate and Acitretin have been ruled out for now. It's more the constant pain that I'm in waiting for the treatments that I need advise on, if you have any? Paracetamol doesn't really do much as it hurts on impact so I have no idea what to do while I wait for the light therapy.

1 Posted Tue 17 Aug 2021 21.04 by Alex N

Yes, I knew Acitretin wouldn’t be suitable if you want children - I hadn’t realised that applied to Methotrexate as well. The only thing that helped slightly (but with limited success on my feet, as it didn’t last long when I put my weight on them) was Superglue! I read about it but didn’t try it until my dermatologist recommended it. My husband got very good at gluing the splits in my hands and feet together.! Worth a try?! Don’t really have any other suggestions, other than wearing gloves and socks 24/7. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Posted Sun 22 Aug 2021 12.56 by Nadra (edited Sun 22 Aug 2021 12.58 by Nadra)

Hi, I’m 20 years old and I’ve suffered from plague psoriasis for 6 years. I’ve tried all sorts of cream but it still wouldn’t subside. A few weeks ago I decided to go on a strict diet. I avoided eating dairy products, meat or gluten. I only ate fish as well as fruits and veggies. I also drank Calla Milk which consists of all nutritional ingredients. I would recommend avoiding long showers as it can dry up your skin quicker. Fortunately my skin is starting to clear up and it does not itch as bad already :) Hope this method works for you too.

Posted Sun 22 Aug 2021 15.16 by Moggy1

I also suffer from plantar pustulosis and am taking 10mg acitretin daily which has cleared my hands and helped my feet but not cleared them completely. Have an appointment next month to discuss starting light therapy. The side effects of acitretin are manageable for me apart from the hair loss and change in texture. It’s gone very brittle and breaks off easily and No amount of product is helping. I use Duoderm extra thin hydrocoloid dressing on my feet and for me it’s a game changer. You can get it on prescription from your doctor. I also tried eating blueberries which didn’t help Hope you fine some relief

To take part, sign in or register with us