New to forum

Posted Mon 18 Dec 2023 21.29 by chris342

I had psoriasis as a child but only mildly and it cleared up when i became a teen. it came back with avengence around 4 years ago (im 50 now) it covers pretty much both lower legs with large patches on my upper legs and other patches on my arms. it covers my scalp and back of ears. it drives me mad at night and often i scratch it bloody.. ive tried steroid foam which helps a little for a short while but it does get me down sometimes.

Posted Mon 18 Dec 2023 22.01 by steph

I'm really sorry to hear that, you should get referral to the hospital from your GP, dermatology will probably offer light treatment and other options not available with the GP. Steph

Posted Tue 19 Dec 2023 16.14 by suehend1972@gmail.com
Hello I'm sue

I have the same problem it's almost everywhere it's awful people look at me like I'm contagious I hate it

Posted Wed 27 Dec 2023 18.31 by PrincessDi

It would be nice if physicians truly realized how psychologically damaging psoriasis can be. Mine appeared at the age of 16 and is now only controlled with a biologic. I am lucky I survived til adulthood really because it was so very depressing. My scalp was the worst because there wasn't any way to hide it. I found that shampoo with tea tree seemed to make my scalp feel better. I now use a shampoo called Dermarest daily, it has salicylic acid in it to keep the skin from building up. People can be the worst, it's not like you don't feel bad enough and then folks just stare at you like you're a freak. One of the biggest things I feel is your own attitude, it's hard but you have to try to stay positive. Use benadryl or even hydrocortisone cream to help with the itching and by all means stop scratching it, that will definitely make it worse. I live in the US but I find this site is much more interesting than anything here.

Posted Mon 1 Jan 2024 11.53 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

There have been a few posts recently about the reaction of the public to psoriasis. I too get lots of stares because I walk so slowly - my condition is hidden other than that I'm walking around in sandals and tubular bandages in the depths of winter and wearing baggy shorts (can't get jeans over my feet without help). I was fortunate to get disabled parking permits and have also had comments about using those. People also see me as being diabetic because I'm overweight (not massively so) and so I've had comments and looks about that too. Bearing in mind I'm a strongly built 6 foot bloke I find that quite surprising but I guess they see me hobbling around on crutches and think they can get away with it. It makes me quite self conscious if eating in public, not that my condition is permitting me to get out much. Thing is, if people actually talk to me and ask what ails me the universal response is of sympathetic horror so the public do have a perception of what psoriasis is. People at school drop off for example have been so supportive. I think it must be harder for people with more visible symptoms and obviously if you're younger or female or if your appearance is a big part of who you are. I know someone with severe plaque psoriasis who wears short shorts and strappy tops in summer - her view being that sunlight is the best thing for her condition and to hell with what people think of her. Equally I know others who won't leave the house if they're having a big flare.

Posted Sat 27 Jan 2024 09.35 by JoeyGee

Kudos to the shorts and strappy tops girl, but totally understand those on the flip side as well... It can be hard, & I got plenty of those looks and the leper comments as a kid, but as an adult I'm much less concerned and I think the 'to hell with what people think' attitude is helpful from a stress-reduction perspective. No point giving value to the opinions and awkward glances of strangers. Keep your circle of people who care about you and know you at the front of your mind and ignore the rest.

Posted Sat 27 Jan 2024 12.24 by suehend1972@gmail.com
Hello I'm sue

I know how you feel I have it bad aswell I don't have a boyfriend because I feel like they would be put off by my psoriasis I want to go swimming but I don't like the funny looks ov people

Posted Mon 29 Jan 2024 14.52 by Anabelle11

Hi, My daughter was diagnosed with psoriasis. Sadly she’s another one whose symptoms of a sore throat was ignored by a gp. After having lots of creams that didn’t help and a rash that got worse we went private and she had biopsies that confirmed psoriasis guttate. Sadly she is too young for light therapy, but the go did prescribe dobovet! The cream worked wonders but I always had in my head it was still a steroid! The doctor advised I could apply to her face and scalp as long as she had a two week break after. I searched high and low for more natural products, I luckily found help with a sales lady in the body shop she recommended the ginger hair shampoo and the conditioner. I wish I had met this lady sooner, my daughter has been psoriasis free on the face and scalp in years! The steroid cream lives in the drawer not needed. I do make sure she’s out in the sunshine too to get her natural vitamin D. Hope this helps some of you

Posted Tue 30 Jan 2024 17.35 by PrincessDi

I found tea tree shampoo also soothing. I'm glad you found some natural relief for her but for some of us the steroid type creams or me in particular were the only saving grace. I was also told to use them sparingly.......I slathered it on sometimes in frustration of this dreaded disease.

Posted Tue 30 Jan 2024 18.37 by Anabelle11

The ginger helps with the inflammation response it’s not as harsh as tea tree that can dry the skin even more. It took years of steroid creams for us too. Really feel for you all. The doctor said to get Our daughter out in the natural light as much as possible as she can’t have light therapy being young

Posted Tue 30 Jan 2024 22.58 by PrincessDi

I'm 52 and have had it since the age of 16 a junior in high school which was horrible timing which any timing is bad but teens can be mean and I am truly lucky to have gotten to this age. I live in the US on the coast of NC now but have been on a biologic for several years, nothing I used controlled my scalp which was just so awful as I'm sure you've seen. I use an over the counter shampoo called dermarest to help in case anything tries to build up but I'll start looking for the ginger shampoo I've read both ginger and turmeric great defenders.

Posted Wed 31 Jan 2024 12.07 by Beanjara

I'm a new here My name is Claudin, in fact, I'm really sorry to hear it. I think, we're on the same situation

Posted Wed 31 Jan 2024 14.58 by PrincessDi

It may sound a little selfish but I'm glad to know others are out there feeling the same as we do

Posted Wed 31 Jan 2024 15.43 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

That's what support groups are for! Psoriasis does seem to be quite a lonely disease, not many groups or places out there for sufferers to gather. Since things got really bad for me in October this place has been invaluable.

Posted Wed 6 Mar 2024 15.21 by Dollydot

Had P now for 46 years. Some good, others not so. Started following glandular fever bout and a cycle crash (I was 11 and determined, lol). Scabs turned to p. In my late teens strep throat caused major flare up but only got some cream from doctors. Twenties and thirties after any cold/throat infection it would be worse. Tried all the prescribed creams along with three goes at phototherapy and three on Methotrexate (latter two gave me most success). It just seems that the minute you stop any treatment back it comes. I’ve just got used to it always being there now and live the best life I can (in long sleeves and trousers)

Posted Fri 8 Mar 2024 01.17 by Tnovak

Hi. I just joined this forum. I just got disgnosed with psoriasis and the dermatologist gave me a steriod shot and prescrption steriod cream. How long will this take to start working? I am so overwhelmed and want this to go away. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

To take part, sign in or register with us