How do I successfully shampoo out a prescribed coal tar treatment

Posted Mon 17 Feb 2014 02.57 by pam44
scalp, knees, elbows and hands

My doctor recently prescribed a coal tar mixture for my scalp. In the morning I am supposed to shampoo it out. However, it doesn't shampoo out. I tried using the shampoo on dry hair/wet hair, different shampoos but nothing seems to get rid of the ointment. I am using regular shampoos-mostly natural ones. Does anyone have any tips? The mixture has coal tar,mineral oil, salicylic acid, and betamethasone.

Posted Tue 18 Feb 2014 18.56 by hendricks10
I have had psoriasis for over 10 years now and like many people feel like I have tried everything!!! I am dealing with it better as I get ol

Hi Pam44, I gave up on this a long time ago and can't quite remember how I used to get it out. I would have suggested shampoo on dry hair. Recently I have tried a product from a shop called Lush its a shampoo bar (looks like soap) which contains similar ingredients to help psoriasis on the scalp. I bought it last week and my scalp feels the best it has in a long time. I am using baby johnsons conditioner and have also recently bought boots natural range. Sometimes T-Gel works for me also but I have to change my routine regularly to keep my scalp free. Sorry to keep rambling, I only joined the website last week and have started trying lots of new things which is exciting. Apple cider vinegar baths are working well for me, using the Lush shampoo bar twice rinsing in the bath/vinegar water then put conditioner on and shower/rinse. If I think of anything else I will let you know. All the best.

Posted Fri 21 Feb 2014 18.21 by pam44
scalp, knees, elbows and hands

Thank you, Hendricks10, for your comments. I too only joined recently although I have had psoriasis for 40 plus years. I read about the Lush bar and did look at it but it has Sodium laureth sulfate as its first ingredient and that is linked to cancer. So I did not buy it. I was told that the company were actively looking for an alternative but not found an acceptable one yet. I will try the vinegar rinse however.

To take part, sign in or register with us