Methotrexate and hay fever

Posted Wed 27 May 2020 04.23 by alanrco

I've read online that people who have started taking methotrexate have found their hay fever symptoms improve. Exactly the opposite for me. I am 73 and have had PA for 50 years. I have never suffered with hay fever. I started methotrexate three months ago. Ever since I have suffered with hay fever symptoms. Doesn't seem to make any difference whether the pollen is high or low. This has been a constance. My PA on the other hand has responded very well to this drug. As far as the hay fever is concerned, anti-histamines don't seem to work, at all. I suppose on balance that it's better my PA has settled but the hey fever is very unpleasant! Alan

Posted Thu 28 May 2020 15.14 by Mac

I'm glad you posted this Alanrco. I too thought my hay fever start with the taking MTX, though I couldn't say for sure, as my understanding is you can develop it at any stage. Like you I never had hay fever till the year I started MTX, could it have been coincidence I don't know, but was very surprised when I read your post.

Posted Sat 16 Jan 2021 09.39 by alanrco

The hayfever symptoms have worsened and relentless. Constantly huge ammounts of mucous from my nose, sneezing, sore eyes and brain in a constant fog. I live alone and during this pandemic I cannot continue with my hobbies, can only watch tv for about an hour or one paragraph reading before my head begins to hurts so much. My sleep is constantly interupted. I really don't want to stop the mx but I'm now at my wits end.. My PA is totally clear therefore I will ask the consultant to reduce the dose. I'm currently on 15mg injections.

Posted Sun 14 Apr 2024 17.47 by lynn J

I have just started methotrexate only taken 1 dose and and 3 days in got croaky throat sore mouth and feel like full blow cold or hay-fever symptoms hoping this will improve always had hayfever and take meds for it but never been this bad.

To take part, sign in or register with us