Click here for COVID-19 (coronavirus) advice for people living with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.
29 October 2020
Psoriasis Experts Answer Your Questions
Professor Chris Griffiths and Dr Helen Young answer your questions which make up some of the 'unknown knowns' gathered via the psoriasis Priority Setting Partnership survey.
This Psoriasis Awareness Week we're delighted to bring you two new videos in which world-leading psoriasis experts Professor Chris Griffiths and Dr Helen Young answer your questions about psoriasis and treatments.
The questions were gathered by the recent psoriasis Priority Setting Partnership (PSP) and fall into the category of 'unknown knowns' - questions which have already been answered by existing research, but where the answers have not yet made their way into common knowledge and, as such, many people still ask about them. Who better to address these questions than Dr Young, who was the Lead Investigator for the Psoriasis PSP, and Professor Griffiths, who was a co-investigator on the project.
Professor Chris Griffiths - Answering your psoriasis questions
Professor Griffiths is Professor of Dermatology at the University of Manchester, Honorary Consultant Dermatologist at Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust and co-investigator on the psoriasis Priority Setting Partnership (PSP). In the video below, he answers the following questions:
- What is psoriasis? (0:09)
- What are the different types of psoriasis and what do they have in common / how do they differ? (1:02)
- At what age can psoriasis develop? (2:57)
- Can you experience more than one type of psoriasis at one time? (3:55)
- What research is currently being done into psoriasis? (4:39)
- What are the main treatments/drugs used in the treatment of psoriasis? (1:02)
- What is the first line treatment for psoriasis? (1:51)
- Why are biologic injections only being given to people who have had side effects from other immunosuppressant drugs, or when the immunosuppressant drugs haven’t worked? (2:43)
- What new treatments are on the way? (3:51)
Dr Helen Young - Answering your psoriasis treatment questions
Dr Young is a Senior Lecturer in Dermatology at the University of Manchester and Consultant Dermatologist at Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust. She was also the Lead Investigator for the psoriasis Priority Setting Partnership (PSP). In the video below she answers the following questions:
- A big thank you to Professor Griffiths and Dr Young for giving up their time to share their expertise.
You can find out more about this year's Psoriasis Awareness Week here.